Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Inside Temp / solid roof vs PANO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm having a hard time deciding between solid roof or pano.

this might be the deciding factor, since i'm getting a third row (3 boys and another on the way), third row comfort is very important.

i'm assuming solid roof is cooler than pano?

can anyone confirm?

One thing that you don't always see mentioned when you face this decision is that the pano gives you something like 2 inches of headroom. I'm 6'4" and I find the solid roof a bit claustrophobic, even with the seat lowered to the maximum extent possible.

I live in Tucson, AZ and last summer the Pano roof was great, no heat issues. I tinted all other windows but left the Pano alone, it really keeps the sun out. The extra head room is also welcome to my 6'8" and 6'3" boys. My 6'8" son can drive the car, I do not think this would be possible without the Pano.

I live in south Texas and although it hasn't been hot yet, I can definitely feel the difference between the heat coming through the windshield vs. the pano roof and PhotoSync-tinted windows. I considered tinting the pano roof like the windows but so far it doesn't seem necessary. I can feel the heat coming through the windshield but not through the tinted windows or pano roof. It's quite impressive. I don't think the heat will be an issue through the pano roof.

I got the pano. I needed the extra headroom for my passengers and if you want XM radio you have to get the pano.

i'm having a hard time deciding between solid roof or pano.

this might be the deciding factor, since i'm getting a third row (3 boys and another on the way), third row comfort is very important.

i'm assuming solid roof is cooler than pano?

can anyone confirm?

thanks for all the replies so far, i'm leaning towards no pano, i'm only 5' 9" so headroom is not an issue... and i like the response about the noise seeming to be absorbed by the cloth roof.

I have no pano roof and the only thing I regret about not getting one is the lack of mount points for a roof rack. Not a huge issue at the end of the day but that may be a consideration for you.

The pano roof is great for venting the car in hot weather, get the sunshade accessory (both for the hatch and the pano) and open it to 20%. There is also more headroom in the rear seats (not the jump seats, that's the same).

Isn't tinting the windshield illegal in Arizona (except for a stripe along the top)?

Yes (and in most other states also). But many people have done a near clear tint for uv protection. Still illegal, but impossible to tell its tinted.

I've considered having my windshield done, but haven't so far. I had the side and rear windows tinted and the uv protection is great. I did not have extra tint put on the pano, the stock uv protection works very well in AZ summers...

Yes (and in most other states also). But many people have done a near clear tint for uv protection. Still illegal, but impossible to tell its tinted.

I've considered having my windshield done, but haven't so far. I had the side and rear windows tinted and the uv protection is great. I did not have extra tint put on the pano, the stock uv protection works very well in AZ summers...

Interseting had no idea - just went with the installers recommendation. Anyway it really helps on the big windshield.

I'm in the same situation - weighing pano vs. no pano. I have heard rumblings of the pano being noisy (wind, echos, road noise). Can anyone elaborate on the noise?

Also, I have never been a sun roof guy - I've just never desired one. However, on my second test drive this past weekend I was in the middle back seat between the kids since it was my wife's turn to drive. I immediately noticed the extra head room and view out the top. Great if you're a back seat passenger but it's probable that was the only time I will ever sit back there.

I LOVE! my pano even though I rarely get to look out it since I'm driving. I like the airy feel and my passengers love it. It was a splurge. But I'm glad I got it. And it's just that much less of the car that I have to polish! And I haven't noticed any excess heat in the cabin. Though I have only had the car since Oct, so we are in the cool months.

I too was on the fence. When I first started thinking about ordering my MS, I was firmly on the No Pano side of the argument because I can count on one hand the number of times I've opened the sunroof in my Tahoe in the 5 years that I've owned it. In fact, I keep the shade pulled on it 99% of the time so I didn't think about it at all. Then the more I got to reading about it and how it makes a big difference in the overall "feel" of the interior, especially for the rear passengers, I decided I would go for it. I took a test drive in a P85D with the pano roof and really liked it.

Since I'm in Texas and park outside at work, I'm doing the full photosync on all windows, 75% on the windshield, and for $300 I'm getting the pano photosync tinted as well. The photosync tints dramatically cuts out heat absorption, so I thought it was a no brainer for $300. May be overkill, but oh well.

When I was considering the options, my first thought was no pano. Like other members said, I rarely opened the sunroof of my previous cars. But the pano is different from a sunroof. It really gives a much airy feel and gives more headroom to the back passengers, unlike many sunroofs which give you less. I finally ordered the S with the pano, and it's a very good decision.