Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Instrument Cluster Rebooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great. I’ve beaten my head against a wall with service and I’m hopeful this helps!

The service person told me that they think upgrading from mcu1 to mcu2 might help. Since they didn’t offer to pay for it I declined.

This really is something that should be reported to NHtSA as it is a safety concern

I was told to do the factory reset in the service menu on the car menu. Trust me, I had done multiple normal resets using the steering wheel buttons and it did nothing to fix the problem. This factory reset had most definitely resolved my issue as I have not seen the IC resets ever since. However, I have also discontinued sending (sharing) directions from my iPhone to my car, I’m too scared to see it come back! That is very interesting you saw the same behavior, you’re the first I know of besides me to experience this issue, and even more interesting that you’re using an Android phone as the Tesla service advisor mentioned it was an Apple script issue… maybe it’s a Tesla script issue. Good luck with the factory reset, let us all know if it resolves the issue… and maybe avoid sending directions to your car from your android at first to test it out, and if you’re brave enough start sending them again and see if the issue comes back!

I have had many IC screen reboots, some when I first get in the car, while driving, sometimes 3-4 times a day.
Based on the post I’m quoting, I decided to disconnect my iPhone last night from my 2014 Model s P85, in preparation for 300-mile trip today.

Charged last night to 100% in my garage.

Got up this AM to disconnect charging cable. IC screen came on immediately.
Loaded the car, and my wife and I (and the dog) headed out.

Made many stops (food, dog business, charging, etc.) IC screen never blinked.

My wife had an audio book on her iPhone, and I decided to simply Bluetooth her phone to the car, WITHOUT dumping contact information.
Listened to the book the entire trip, and never a flicker from the IC screen.

I’ll continue to BT my phone w/o dumping contacts.

I don’t need to make calls from my car, just receiving is fine(Spam and all).

If things change, you’ll hear from me.

November,2023: My 2014 Model S is acting up: When I got in the car few days ago, it was mostly non-responsive and the center screen was dark. The first time it happened, a few months ago, I called "Tesla Central" and was advised to reboot by holding the two steering wheel buttons down -- for a long time. After 60 seconds or so, the "T" symbol appeared on the center screen, and the car eventually came to life. Yesterday, it happened again.

About a year ago, the center unit was removed for a chip upgrade. A few weeks later, the center screen displayed evidence of leakage, and was replaced (partial comp) even though the shop said the leakage event was unrelated to the removal a few weeks earlier.

Is this a hardware problem or a software issue. If the former, what is the fix? If software, suggestions?

Roger Bohl

November,2023: My 2014 Model S is acting up: When I got in the car few days ago, it was mostly non-responsive and the center screen was dark. The first time it happened, a few months ago, I called "Tesla Central" and was advised to reboot by holding the two steering wheel buttons down -- for a long time. After 60 seconds or so, the "T" symbol appeared on the center screen, and the car eventually came to life. Yesterday, it happened again.

About a year ago, the center unit was removed for a chip upgrade. A few weeks later, the center screen displayed evidence of leakage, and was replaced (partial comp) even though the shop said the leakage event was unrelated to the removal a few weeks earlier.

Is this a hardware problem or a software issue. If the former, what is the fix? If software, suggestions?

Roger Bohl
Roger, I believe this is software problem, except the leakage.
I occasionally have to do the double-wheel restart make both screens come alive.

But, now I have the key fob battery low warning still on 2weeks after replacing the batteries.
So, I’m going to do the hard reset as described somewhere in this subject discussion.
Good luck!