Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Instrument Cluster Rebooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC forum, it's been awhile since I've posted but I've run into an issue that I've basically lost faith in Tesla Service to solve, and hoping someone in the community might have seen this and/or has some troubleshooting ideas.

Problem: The instrument cluster reboots (goes blank, then shows the many fault-icons that we see when we first get in the car and step on the brake, all while showing the side-view image of the car), and it happens usually in the first 1-4 minutes of trip-time after getting in the car (happens while in Park, in Drive but stopped, while driving, basically in any condition you can imagine. This reboot would typically only happen once in the beginning of the drive, but I think I have seen it maybe more than once in a drive. But I'd say 90% of the time just once in the beginning of the drive.

Car information: December 2016, P100D Model S, just under 35K miles (still under warranty), originally Autopilot 2.0, but in late July was upgraded to FSD AP computer with purchase of FSD, AND had the MCU2 (with the associated new IC) installed. (oh, and with my new MCU installation, when the car was returned to me after service it had a prominent yellow border around the screen. My original MCU touch screen never had a yellow border to begin with! But that's just adding to my frustrating service story... I had it replaced and new touch screen is fine, but pretty unbelievable none the less).

(READ ON FOR MORE DETAILS IF YOU'RE INTERESTED BUT THE ABOVE INFO SHOULD SUFFICE FOR ANYONE THAT WANTS TO REPY)

More information:

Service Center- Centinela (Los Angeles)

So the variables go up from here... Around the time I had the new MCU installed, I began using the Teslacam feature with a USB stick, and shortly after that purchased a SAMSUNG T5 Portable SSD 500GB - Up to 540MB/s - USB 3.1 External Solid State Drive, Black (MU-PA500B/AM) from Amazon and began using that for my Teslacam. This comes into play later...

History of issues (perhaps some of these other issues are related?):
I had multiple issue after my MCU replacement in July. I not only had the IC reboot happening often (I didn't keep track at first, I had more pressing issues), I was having bigger problems with the AP visualization. On nearly every drive I had my repeater cameras (the two on the side that look rearward and are part of the backup camera visualization and Teslacam recording) blank out, just go black, and usually caused a message that said autopilot features unavailable and the IC visualization of cars, signs, road markings, etc would just disappear, usually not returning until after the car was parked for a period of time. Ugh. I also began having issues with the backup camera not saving to the Teslacam, even tho the backup camera continued to work fine, but not a huge deal.

I had to go back into Tesla about replacing the touch screen (oh and they forgot to reattach a wiring plug so my hazards didn't work for awhile after I first got my car back from the MCU2 install), and then back again for the autopilot/ visualization issues, rear camera not saving from Teslacam, and IC reboot. They claimed all 3 were fixed, and true enough the AP/visualization and the rear camera saving to drive issues were resolved but the IC reboots continued. I give credit to the service advisor that made an appointment to come back in without me even requesting it when I told him the IC was still rebooting, but I was just happy the other two issues were resolved, the IC I guess I can live with as it doesn't really interfere with driving or even AP use (tho just today I discovered that when on a phone call using BT through the car, the call is hung up, so now I am annoyed with this to the point where I'm writing this on the forums!).

I came into service now for the 4th time since the MCU2 installation upgrade, the issue was traced by the service technicians/engineers to a corrupted SSD, my Samsung I mentioned above. I had already tried re-formatting the drive many times myself as a troubleshooting idea, but they claimed that was the source of the reboots and when disconnected the IC reboots didn't occur. I took their word for it, received the car back, and stopped using the Teslacam all together. Well, sure enough, the problem happened again days later, and I even recorded it happening without the drive connected. Oh, and to add salt to the wound, the hazards weren't working again after getting my car back from service.

At this point I was pleased to hear that the Service Center agreed with me that the best course of action was to try replacing the entire IC. They sent Mobile Service to me but it turned out they had the wrong IC... Awesome. At least they reconnected the wiring for the hazards. Well, now they wanted the car back at the SC so they could do it properly, so I brought the car in that day. Apparently after they replaced the IC, the rebooting continued so they decided to order a whole new MCU2 (and IC) upgrade package.

After getting the car back a week later with the new IC and MCU2, I was told that maybe just to be safe I should try not using the Samsung SSD for awhile just as a baseline, they still believed it was the culprit or related to the reboots. I agreed and drove off using a simple USB Thumb drive (I really like using the Teslacam as a precaution just in case I need the footage if something happens to my car while driving!). The next day I had a reboot again at the beginning of the drive. Back to the drawing board. I haven't contacted Tesla and not sure I will as they just don't seem to have a handle on this issue and I'm apparently the first case, lucky me. Oh, and the right USB port was no longer powered after they returned the car to me, I had to go back for the 6th time since the original MCU2 upgrade to have them fix it... Now it's fixed.

I began using the SSD again because why not, the reboots are still happening no matter what I do. I even reformatted it again just in case, and I'm consistently getting reboots in the first 1-4 minutes of driving. I began experimenting with beginning my drive with it unplugged and then plugging in after a few minutes into my drive, and perhaps it's my imagination but seems like the reboots aren't happening as much, so perhaps there is something to the SSD affecting the reboots of the IC. I need to collect more data on this but I still suspect it's something else, just from the fact that the reboots have happened with the SSD completely unplugged from beginning to end of some of my driving trips.

For anyone that's read this far, wow, greatly appreciated... I know it's a lot of info and details but this is a weird issue that I'd like to resolve, so thank you for reading and any suggestions or info you have to share!

I have a similar issue with my 2017 Model S. I get the frequent screen reboots, with the side and rear cameras cutting out all the time. It started with infrequent occurrences not long after I purchased the car new, then slowly increased in frequency until now the rear camera is never available and the screen reboots every 30 seconds or so. I've been told by the SC that it is caused by the firmware bug, but they have no details about why this is a firmware bug, and whether the problem is currently being worked on and what firmware release they are targeting for a solution. Also, if it was a firmware bug, thousands of cars would be effected, and that's not the case. Basically, I was fobbed off with BS. Since I'm still on the original computer without upgrades to FSD the problem doesn't seem to be related to any of those upgrades. Your original post was in November and I haven't seen further posts. Did Tesla resolve the problem finally, and if so, what was finally done? Cheers, J

I have a similar issue with my 2017 Model S. I get the frequent screen reboots, with the side and rear cameras cutting out all the time. It started with infrequent occurrences not long after I purchased the car new, then slowly increased in frequency until now the rear camera is never available and the screen reboots every 30 seconds or so. I've been told by the SC that it is caused by the firmware bug, but they have no details about why this is a firmware bug, and whether the problem is currently being worked on and what firmware release they are targeting for a solution. Also, if it was a firmware bug, thousands of cars would be effected, and that's not the case. Basically, I was fobbed off with BS. Since I'm still on the original computer without upgrades to FSD the problem doesn't seem to be related to any of those upgrades. Your original post was in November and I haven't seen further posts. Did Tesla resolve the problem finally, and if so, what was finally done? Cheers, J

nope- not resolved. I thought I had a good relationship with the mobile service manager at Centinela, I’ve shown incredible patience over this matter, I’ve texted with him to notify him I’m still having the issue, he said he’d get with engineering and set something up for me, but never heard back. Since it doesn’t really affect anything for me other than being just a momentary nuisance in the first 2-4 minutes of each drive (only happens once for me, sounds like your issue rebooting every 30 seconds makes the car un-driveable!?), I’ll just live with it. But it has been frustrating as hell dealing with Tesla service over it, and has exemplified their horrible customer service in my opinion. This is coming from a long time fanboy of Tesla, stock holder, and someone who got their mom, dad, and sister into a Tesla. Great car, horrible customer service... from my experience.

I began using the SSD again because why not, the reboots are still happening no matter what I do. I even reformatted it again just in case, and I'm consistently getting reboots in the first 1-4 minutes of driving. I began experimenting with beginning my drive with it unplugged and then plugging in after a few minutes into my drive, and perhaps it's my imagination but seems like the reboots aren't happening as much, so perhaps there is something to the SSD affecting the reboots of the IC. I need to collect more data on this but I still suspect it's something else, just from the fact that the reboots have happened with the SSD completely unplugged from beginning to end of some of my driving trips.
As you are experimenting now, why not perform a reboot before you plug the SSD in again? Or even make the new drive completely unplugged to see any news? I believe that deep reboot by changing your wheel settings will have more advantages over the thumb reboot...

As you are experimenting now, why not perform a reboot before you plug the SSD in again? Or even make the new drive completely unplugged to see any news? I believe that deep reboot by changing your wheel settings will have more advantages over the thumb reboot...

Yes, I’m all about experimenting and gathering data. I was keeping a log each time it happened and filing a bug report (at the request of the service center) and have tried plugged in versus unplugged. I will say that the reboots seems like it happen more reliably with the SSD plugged in, but almost every time I start a drive with the SSD unplugged (unplugged from the previous drive so it wakes up unplugged) I still get reboots. But I like your idea of doing a thumb reboot before a drive, with and without the SSD plugged in, and even better idea to do a deep reboot as well... more data for sure. I’ll be back with my results in a few days. Thank you for your idea!

Hello anyone interested in this thread or anyone finding themselves here after searching for this issue.... GREAT NEWS! - So long story short, the problem has been fixed by a simple factory reset, I’ve now driven the car countless number of times with zero reboots of the Instrument cluster (IC), and with the same SSD drive that centinela service originally blamed the issue on.
Short story longer, the incredible service center guys at VNY airport Service center (especially Hector) saw tons of memory being used when they looked at the logs of my car, and were quite confident it had nothing to do with my SSD as I had been made fearful of by Centinela SVC. What they figured after learning that I send directions to the car from my iPhone by “sharing” the directions from Apple Maps (via the Tesla App) was that some of the Apple scripts were running wild and thus taking up memory in the car. Keep in mind I would still get reboots even without sending directions or using in car navigation, so I would never had figured this out myself... but apparently all the times I’ve sent/shared directions to the car via my phone had done enough damage by using up memory that this happened nearly every drive. So, not wanting to see the issue return I’ve opted to no longer send/share driving directions to the car via my phone, which is no big deal but was a cool feature I bet many don’t even know exist. Oh well, and maybe someday I can run a test if anyone wants to see confirmation of this problem/solution by sharing directions again and seeing if it comes back, but for now I’m happy it’s gone. Hopefully this helped someone out at some point and/or maybe Apple/Tesla will figure out who needs to do what to prevent this from happening anymore. Till then, Zorak is back to normal and feels like a happy, problem free-car again!

Hello anyone interested in this thread or anyone finding themselves here after searching for this issue.... GREAT NEWS! - So long story short, the problem has been fixed by a simple factory reset, I’ve now driven the car countless number of times with zero reboots of the Instrument cluster (IC), and with the same SSD drive that centinela service originally blamed the issue on.
When you say factory reset, do you mean the Factory Reset button from the Service section of the car menu? Or do you mean the steering wheel buttons reset?

I constantly use the Send To option from my Android phone to my car. However, i never experienced the IC resets issue until after getting the MCU2 upgrade on my MS P85D with AP1. I also have a MS 75 that was upgraded from AP2.5/MCU1 to FSD/MCU2 and have never experienced this issue in that car.

The resets are annoying which is how I ended up searching and finding your thread. Thank you for the info.

Just a thought: would a degraded connection with the 12v battery cause a brief interruption to the system and then the reboot? Something like a poor earthing on an older car?
Highly doubt it since nothing else flickers. If there was increased resistance or connection loss you should see interior lights flicker or dim. Also the main screen never resets or flickers. It is just the instrument cluster that does the odd "reset". It is quick and only lasts a couple seconds, but the screen never fades or loses power. It is just the display information that changes.

When you say factory reset, do you mean the Factory Reset button from the Service section of the car menu? Or do you mean the steering wheel buttons reset?

I constantly use the Send To option from my Android phone to my car. However, i never experienced the IC resets issue until after getting the MCU2 upgrade on my MS P85D with AP1. I also have a MS 75 that was upgraded from AP2.5/MCU1 to FSD/MCU2 and have never experienced this issue in that car.

The resets are annoying which is how I ended up searching and finding your thread. Thank you for the info.
I was told to do the factory reset in the service menu on the car menu. Trust me, I had done multiple normal resets using the steering wheel buttons and it did nothing to fix the problem. This factory reset had most definitely resolved my issue as I have not seen the IC resets ever since. However, I have also discontinued sending (sharing) directions from my iPhone to my car, I’m too scared to see it come back! That is very interesting you saw the same behavior, you’re the first I know of besides me to experience this issue, and even more interesting that you’re using an Android phone as the Tesla service advisor mentioned it was an Apple script issue… maybe it’s a Tesla script issue. Good luck with the factory reset, let us all know if it resolves the issue… and maybe avoid sending directions to your car from your android at first to test it out, and if you’re brave enough start sending them again and see if the issue comes back!

Reactions: Ryououki
I’ve never sent directions to my 2020 Model S FSD and have the issue of rebooting every couple of days! Also talked to s/c in Houston apparently not all Model S has this rebooting issue. Anyone think a lemon law claim can apply for this issue as it’s been going on for 3 months now with no fix in sight?

Reactions: Ryououki
Admittedly this question doesnt solve the issue (and tesla should solve the issue), but still a question:
When I need to navigate almost anywhere, I use the voice command to say "navigate to xyz" and with MCU2, it accurately detects what I said, and starts the navigation. Works seamlessly.

Whats the benefit of sending from the phone? Seems like more steps?

I’ve never sent directions to my 2020 Model S FSD and have the issue of rebooting every couple of days! Also talked to s/c in Houston apparently not all Model S has this rebooting issue. Anyone think a lemon law claim can apply for this issue as it’s been going on for 3 months now with no fix in sight?
Are you having an instrument cluster reboot, a main display reboot, or both

Admittedly this question doesnt solve the issue (and tesla should solve the issue), but still a question:
When I need to navigate almost anywhere, I use the voice command to say "navigate to xyz" and with MCU2, it accurately detects what I said, and starts the navigation. Works seamlessly.

I’ve found over the years that voice commands for directions doesn’t always work the first time, or just in general have had bad luck with it. Perhaps it’s better these days. But with sending directions from my phone, I find it’s a convenient thing to do as I walk down my long hallway to the elevator in the building I live in. I’m already on my phone, takes two seconds, and then I have nothing to do when I get in the car but just drive. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Because when I am searching for locations, I do it on my phone or computer. Because I use Google Maps, it is a lot easier for me to share the address directly from Google Maps to the Tesla app, which auto starts the navigation in the car for when I get in. If I am already in the car, I will usually use the voice search for navigation or type it directly on the screen. The exception to that is when trying to figure out someplace to get food as it is much easier to search using my phone and then have it share to the car once I settle on a place. If the location is already sitting on the screen of my phone, why would I go through the hassle of doing a voice search on the car or typing it in manually when a simple push from the phone takes care of it.

I was told to do the factory reset in the service menu on the car menu. Trust me, I had done multiple normal resets using the steering wheel buttons and it did nothing to fix the problem. This factory reset had most definitely resolved my issue as I have not seen the IC resets ever since. However, I have also discontinued sending (sharing) directions from my iPhone to my car, I’m too scared to see it come back! That is very interesting you saw the same behavior, you’re the first I know of besides me to experience this issue, and even more interesting that you’re using an Android phone as the Tesla service advisor mentioned it was an Apple script issue… maybe it’s a Tesla script issue. Good luck with the factory reset, let us all know if it resolves the issue… and maybe avoid sending directions to your car from your android at first to test it out, and if you’re brave enough start sending them again and see if the issue comes back!
Thank you for the reply. Sadly, I was afraid you were going to say that. I will probably try out the factory reset within the next couple weeks. Not using the Share to Tesla for navigation will be a pain though. Once I finally get to it, I will give a report of what my findings are. Thanks again.