Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signature 85kWH model (not P) plus Pano roof and Sub zero:

AAMI wouldn't insure the car for anything more than 127k, when the car costs 164k on the road, so bye bye AAMI.

NRMA came through in the end $1441.77 pa with $1,000 excess. Based on new for old replacement for 2yrs then market value. Quite surprised as NRMA had always been much more expensive than others for past vehicles. I must be getting old enough for them to cover me (turning 40 next year).......!

Spot On TesAus !, AAMI value was $134k (maximum value $143k ?), on a $161k vehicle !

So, going with Shannon's (insurer of classic Citroen ID19, just sold), $161k, at $1044, excess (a bit steep at) $1600.

Finally getting around to getting quotes for insurance. Youi is the best so far - $2600 with $1500 excess. AAMI want $4040 with $1800 excess!!. Shannon's wouldn't insure me due to my lack of involvement in the world of motoring enthusiasts (even after I promised to be really enthusiastic about my Tesla!).

None of the online calculators/comparison websites seem to work for the Model S which is a shame as it's very time consuming making these phonecalls. Does anyone have any other suggestions for anyone I should call in Victoria?

Finally getting around to getting quotes for insurance. Youi is the best so far - $2600 with $1500 excess. AAMI want $4040 with $1800 excess!!. Shannon's wouldn't insure me due to my lack of involvement in the world of motoring enthusiasts (even after I promised to be really enthusiastic about my Tesla!).

None of the online calculators/comparison websites seem to work for the Model S which is a shame as it's very time consuming making these phonecalls. Does anyone have any other suggestions for anyone I should call in Victoria?

You must be really young - or have a bad driving record.....

AAMI is around $17-1800 for me. A bit hard to estimate as I transferred an existing policy. I also have a rating one for life as long as I stay with AAMI. I went to add a 20 yo and a 24 yo to the policy and it blew out to an additional $4,500 - so dropped that idea!

You must be really young - or have a bad driving record.....

AAMI is around $17-1800 for me. A bit hard to estimate as I transferred an existing policy. I also have a rating one for life as long as I stay with AAMI. I went to add a 20 yo and a 24 yo to the policy and it blew out to an additional $4,500 - so dropped that idea!

I'm 40, with one demerit point on my licence. 38 year old wife on the policy, no demerit points. Hawthorn must just be a really bad neighbourhood.

Giz - you try racv?

Just tried them. Their 'systems are down' and they can't tell me when they'll be up again. I'm about to head overseas this afternoon so they've successfully lost my business. Hopeless.

- - - Updated - - -

I rang youi back and twisted their arm down to $2593. I guess that's my best deal for now. Given I already pay $1000 to insure a car worth less than 10% of my Tesla I suppose I can't complain too much.

Just tried them. Their 'systems are down' and they can't tell me when they'll be up again. I'm about to head overseas this afternoon so they've successfully lost my business. Hopeless.

- - - Updated - - -

I rang youi back and twisted their arm down to $2593. I guess that's my best deal for now. Given I already pay $1000 to insure a car worth less than 10% of my Tesla I suppose I can't complain too much.

Yeah systems are down. Goons. I'm waiting it out as $1000 more it nuts.

From NRMA: market value & wind screen & no hire car is $1032 pa with XS $650. Take off $53 pa for no wind screen option. I have a couple of policies and no claim bonus (even tho I've claimed..) with NRMA, which I think is what makes it a good deal. Curious what they think "market value" is, because they didn't seem to have much data and couldn't yet price up an agreed value quote.

If I end up with $1032 come delivery, I'll be pretty happy.

OK.. I let this lapse (kinda on purpose because it was too good), and as expected, I've got from NRMA today $1800 with $800 excess for market value plus glass (includes my 17.5% discount). They have properly put in the different models now, which explains why the price has jumped up. I'm still happy with this as I think it reflects a realistic price now.

Also $800 seemed like the sweet spot for excess for me with NRMA - it saved $200 compared to a $650. A $1000 excess was diminishing (only a $60 saving).

I just asked RACQ to refresh the quote they gave me about a month ago, cost $1027 and basic excess $1118.
Calculation was based on:
RACQ Blue Club Member
60% No Claim Discount or Rating 1
Rating 1 For Life
You have held Rating 1/Maximum NCD for the past 12 months with your current insurer.
You have had no at fault collision claims in the past 12 months.
You have received a maximum No Claim Discount for the life of this policy.