Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not in my case, this is after talking to them on the phone ...

When I called TD back in December with my vin to insure the car they also told me I had to install a tracking device. They wouldn't budge even though I told them I knew other people who said they were not told the same thing. Maybe it's different in different provinces and maybe there is also some cost threshold above which they insist (mine was a sig over $100k). They also would not discuss deductibles below $5000. They knew they were going to lose the sale but made no difference. I ended up with Belair at just under $1000 a year with 500$ deductible and replacement value for 4 years.

When I called TD back in December with my vin to insure the car they also told me I had to install a tracking device. They wouldn't budge even though I told them I knew other people who said they were not told the same thing. Maybe it's different in different provinces and maybe there is also some cost threshold above which they insist (mine was a sig over $100k). They also would not discuss deductibles below $5000. They knew they were going to lose the sale but made no difference. I ended up with Belair at just under $1000 a year with 500$ deductible and replacement value for 4 years.

OK, good to know. I already have a quote from my broker so I am safe for a backup but they also required a tracking device (or engraving i believe).

We are in the same province/region/city so that doesn't factor in to it ... maybe it is an issue with driving record and/or claims history.

I would like to believe that my situation is different but I am starting to believe that the initial quotes might just be a marketing ploy. I will ensure that I have a third option through Belair ready to go.

Just got off the phone with Meloche. Explained everything... customer of 22 years, etc, etc... and the lowest deductible they could give me is $3000. I just don't feel like taking that risk.

I just did BelairDirect online and it comes to $1091/yr with a $500 deductible, so I don't know why TD is so expensive. Anyway, it's good to know there are other options out there!

The $5000 deductible doesn't bother me, since I have always tried to push all of my deductibles higher to keep my rates lower. So far it has worked well for me (fingers crossed this time) - saving almost $1000/year for 4 cars. For the Roadster they asked for a tracking system to be installed, but this time they did not mention it. I have received my confirmation of insurance from them for the Model S, so I don't think that they will ask me now for it.

Just got off the phone with Meloche. Explained everything... customer of 22 years, etc, etc... and the lowest deductible they could give me is $3000. I just don't feel like taking that risk.

I just did BelairDirect online and it comes to $1091/yr with a $500 deductible, so I don't know why TD is so expensive. Anyway, it's good to know there are other options out there!

Your Belair quote is similar to what i got and took when I got my car. A friend of mine also got his insured with Belair. I can tell you there were no surprises between the time i got my quote and when I actually insured it with the exact VIN etc.

The quote I got was for 800/year with TD, no deductible and $1M, don't think I had replacement value though (like i have today). They asked if I had a tracking device but didn't force me. I called twice as that was one of my concerns before finalizing with TM. However I couldn't reserve the rate as I had no VIN and no firm date. Last time I call was Jan 16th. They might have changed the rules since then... I have my two cars there and I'm part of the OIQ (Qc engineers)

The quote I got was for 800/year with TD, no deductible and $1M, don't think I had replacement value though (like i have today). They asked if I had a tracking device but didn't force me. I called twice as that was one of my concerns before finalizing with TM. However I couldn't reserve the rate as I had no VIN and no firm date. Last time I call was Jan 16th. They might have changed the rules since then... I have my two cars there and I'm part of the OIQ (Qc engineers)

One of the things the TD rep mentioned to me was that the deductible was so high because the car was worth more than $100k. Ditto on the need for a tracking device. That might explain the differences we're seeing around here.

Speculation still but could that be because my config adds up to 99,500$ w/o the RoulezÉlectrique rebate. just shy of the 100K might make a difference in their calculation tables.

Question: Without a VIN and a firm date of delivery, was it possible to reserve your rate anyway? I expect the car in the next 60 days, likely 45 days.

Speculation still but could that be because my config adds up to 99,500$ w/o the RoulezÉlectrique rebate. just shy of the 100K might make a difference in their calculation tables.

Question: Without a VIN and a firm date of delivery, was it possible to reserve your rate anyway? I expect the car in the next 60 days, likely 45 days.

Yup, all of the companies I spoke to confirmed that the rate is good and all that was missing was the VIN when I get it.

For years I have had Mercury Insurance which is generally considered about the lowest cost around but only takes really good drivers. I was astounded when I tried to insurance my Model S, Mercury quoted me double what I was paying for my Mercedes S550. Looked carefully at the quote and noted they were quoting based on the roadster. When I pointed that out Mercury requoted but only slightly lower. The long and short of it is that I dropped Mercury for all of my cars and went very reluctantly to State Farm. Mercury has decided for whatever reason they simply don't like anything Tesla. BOOOOOOOO on them.

I'm looking for my Tesla insurance right now.

Belair-Direct is really expensive for me at 1782$ + taxes / year. I took the highest deductible (1000$), replacement value, 1 000 000$ responsibility. Take note that I will do 35 000 KM / year

With TD / Meloche, I get a price of 526$ + taxes / year. The deductible is much higher (3000$) AND I have to install a tracking device. The rep suggested LoJack, he said that you pay only once and it's good for lifetime (about 700$, but I have to check on that). I get replacement value for 2 years and also 1 000 000$ responsibility.

So right now, TD seems to have the best offer for me (if the tracking device really costs 700$ lifetime).

I will get a quote from Desjardins.

Also, there is a broker who is a TESLA OWNER, who checking on his side. He's looking for a GROUP deal !

I will get back to here when I get more info.

Note: my car value is over 100 000$ when you include Federal and provincial taxes.

Last edited:
I'm looking for my Tesla insurance right now.

Belair-Direct is really expensive for me at 1782$ + taxes / year. I took the highest deductible (1000$), replacement value, 1 000 000$ responsibility. Take note that I will do 35 000 KM / year

With TD / Meloche, I get a price of 526$ + taxes / year. The deductible is much higher (3000$) AND I have to install a tracking device. The rep suggested LoJack, he said that you pay only once and it's good for lifetime (about 700$, but I have to check on that). I get replacement value for 2 years and also 1 000 000$ responsibility.

So right now, TD seems to have the best offer for me (if the tracking device really costs 700$ lifetime).

I will get a quote from Desjardins.

Also, there is a broker who is a TESLA OWNER, who checking on his side. He's looking for a GROUP deal !

I will get back to here when I get more info.

Note: my car value is over 100 000$ when you include Federal and provincial taxes.

I don't know about lojack but you might want to check out tag tracking too as they are a local (Quebec) firm and are also a one time pay for lifetime deal and do not use the cars power plus they apparently have already done some Model Ss ...

Update: I asked tagtracking about the pricing and they are ~$350 for an installation and for the month of march if you get it installed at their main office (on l'acadie) and mention the deal they will knock off $50. They even offered to do the install in my garage (no $50 off tho) but i doubt they will make the same offer for trois rivieres but it is worth asking ...

Last edited:
Isn't tracking built in? Just look at the car's position in the app? If the insurer doesn't beleive you, show them the app. If location tracking isn't on yet, show them the screen shots in the app store.

Insurance companies only recognize a certain group of tracking support and Tesla isn't one of them. I chose the Tag tracking system mainly because they are local and approved for use by TD Insurance, are relatively cheap (one time up front payment with no monthly fees and a 5 year warranty) and the system does not use the car's power (don't need any more vampires sucking the life out of my car).

Wow, that's got to be the cheapest price yet. The weird thing is TD Meloche Monnex keeps giving people very different answers. My Roadster has a lower deductible than my Model S, even though it cost more. Other people didn't get the request for the $5000 deductible. Now they're asking some people for lowjack. Yes people are in different locations but...

I don't know about lojack but you might want to check out tag tracking too as they are a local (Quebec) firm and are also a one time pay for lifetime deal and do not use the cars power plus they apparently have already done some Model Ss ...

Update: I asked tagtracking about the pricing and they are ~$350 for an installation and for the month of march if you get it installed at their main office (on l'acadie) and mention the deal they will knock off $50. They even offered to do the install in my garage (no $50 off tho) but i doubt they will make the same offer for trois rivieres but it is worth asking ...

WOW, thanks for the info! I have 30 days after delivery to install the tracking system, so no problem for me to get to Quebec and get it installed! 300 bucks is a no brainer!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that's got to be the cheapest price yet. The weird thing is TD Meloche Monnex keeps giving people very different answers. My Roadster has a lower deductible than my Model S, even though it cost more. Other people didn't get the request for the $5000 deductible. Now they're asking some people for lowjack. Yes people are in different locations but...

Take note that my 2 other cars are insured there ... so I'm pretty sure it helps getting a better price for the third one. Also, will look to insure my house there (september) ... apparently I will get another global rebate ...