TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S insurance. Is Wawanesa any good?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 70Dan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. 70Dan

70Dan VP of R&D at ConstructBuy

#1 70Dan, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    I've been quoted a very low price by Wawanesa (under 500 CAD a year!) to insure my brand new Model S 70D.

I have two concerns:
    • Is Wawanesa any good with claims or am I getting myself into a potential nightmare should anything happen?
    • They do not offer the "Replacement Cost" option that protects against the depreciation of the vehicule, is that really needed with a Tesla?
    My second lowest quote was around 700 CAD per year from La Capitale (including the replacement cost option).

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, especially if you've had experience with these two insurers.

2. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Hey sir,

Welcome to the Tesla family ;) We might cross each-other path in Quebec. I'm from the north shore of Montreal.

I've never used Wawanesa so I can't say for sure. When looking for insurance on my Model S, I called a lot of insurers. Some quoted me crazy rate (up to $4K CAD). I settled for La Personelle (group insurance with my employer). I pay $550 / year, taxes included.

Keep in mind that my car is probably worth a bit more that your's (around $120K before taxes) so it influences the price. I'm 31, no points on my driver license and zero insurance claims. As for replacement cost, confirm that they'll really cover the depreciation of your car. When you get in this price range, some coverage will change.

Phil

3. themacs

themacs Member

Try Ameriprise. They work with Costco for better prices. I'm paying about $350 every 6 months as I recall. Full coverage with higher liability limits. Comp $100 ded and collision $1,000 ded

4. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Am currently with Ameriprise but only because Wawanesa was, as of 6 months ago, firmly in the Stone Age. Instead of signing up over the phone and providing a credit card, Wawa expected me to print and mail an application, along with a paper check, for review and, presumably, approval - a process expected to take 2-3 weeks. Pass. A shame, as their rate was the best (the top 3 contenders were within a $100 range) and their recording touted great admiration from JD Power. However, I can only imagine their claims processes, judging from the aforementioned ludditry. Supposedly they were planning to flirt with the Bronze Age later this year. I haven't called them back.

Ameriprise policy just renewed and went down about $80/6 months.

5. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    The OP is in Quebec, Canada. Pretty sure Ameriprise does not offer coverage in Canada.