Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll post the pic once I'm back home. Body shop was Karosserie, Tesla certified shop in Norristown, PA. The impact was concentrated on one specific point of the front bumper on the driver's side. This caused damage to a cooling component in addition to the bumper and various things behind the bumper.

I'll post the pic once I'm back home. Body shop was Karosserie, Tesla certified shop in Norristown, PA. The impact was concentrated on one specific point of the front bumper on the driver's side. This caused damage to a cooling component in addition to the bumper and various things behind the bumper.

Well that's more than a minor ding with that other damage. The other thing, I'd ask your insurance who they recommend. I'd like to know what requirements Tesla has for 'certified shop'. Not sure that means a lot. They also recommended Mr Electric for my 14-50, $650 vs $200 from local master electrician. Just saying.

I have Allstate in NJ and am paying around $1,000/yr for my P85 as my primary vehicle. I'll be curious to see where rates go, once data regarding repair costs start to come in. A valet dinged up my front bumper. Cost $13,500 to fix!

But that won't make your rates any higher. That will make the rates of the restaurant/gym/hotel go higher. The Tesla almost becomes irrelevant.

I've read that State Farm is gouging Tesla owners. If that's the case we're gonna insure the Tesla at Geico or Progressive. If we are happy State Farm might just lose the rest of our business as well. I almost fear they are getting "too big to fail" and we know how that goes... ;)

I've read that State Farm is gouging Tesla owners. If that's the case we're gonna insure the Tesla at Geico or Progressive. If we are happy State Farm might just lose the rest of our business as well. I almost fear they are getting "too big to fail" and we know how that goes... ;)
That was not my experience. State Farm gave me a quote that was within $75 of what I was quoted by Geico.
Went with State Farm so I could bundle it with the house insurance. Considering that my previous insurance company, MetLife, didn't even have the model S in their database, I was satisfied with the State Farm service.

That was not my experience. State Farm gave me a quote that was within $75 of what I was quoted by Geico.
Went with State Farm so I could bundle it with the house insurance. Considering that my previous insurance company, MetLife, didn't even have the model S in their database, I was satisfied with the State Farm service.
Well that's good to hear. I hope it is for us too. Thanks for that.

I live in Boston, MA my current BMW 5 series coverage thru safety is $2800, and recently spoke with the same Safety Insurance Company thru my agent"if the cost new of the Tesla is under $95,000.00, then it wouldbe $3,679.00. If the cost new is over$95,000 to $100,000.00 then it would be $3,802.00"....REALLY?

State Farm Quote Increase Sept 2013

Our State Farm 6-month insurance premium for our Tesla Model S went from $726 in March 2013 (with two cars insured for $450 + $726 = $1176) to $1061 in September with only one car (the Tesla, the second car was sold in May).

The drivers did not change and there was no new data from DMV or others, the coverage did not change, the Tesla did not change. This seems to be a number game with their single car insurance discount that brings the total cost of the premium for two cars to roughly the same amount as for one car. It does not make sense from the customer point of view.

Would someone have any better option? We would also transfer our home coverage and umbrella coverage.

2013-09 Insurance quote a2.png
2013-09 Insurance quote b2.png

Our State Farm 6-month insurance premium for our Tesla Model S went from $726 in March 2013 (with two cars insured for $450 + $726 = $1176) to $1061 in September with only one car (the Tesla, the second car was sold in May).

The drivers did not change and there was no new data from DMV or others, the coverage did not change, the Tesla did not change. This seems to be a number game with their single car insurance discount that brings the total cost of the premium for two cars to roughly the same amount as for one car. It does not make sense from the customer point of view.

Would someone have any better option? We would also transfer our home coverage and umbrella coverage.

Time to get another S--that way you'll get a discount :biggrin:

I'm in Dallas, TX and insured with Liberty Mutual and pay $817 per year. Awesome rate for $100 comprehensive and $500 collision deductible. I have two cars on my policy so I get a multi car discount. If it was insured alone the rate would have gone up almost $300 per year. I've called Geico and Progressive and they were significantly higher. esurance wouldn't insure a tesla. farmers and state farm and allstate were all higher than progressive and geico.

Preparing for delivery: advice/experience with getting insurance?

I've searched through the forums a bit, but the posts RE insurance are a bit of a mixed bag.

So I thought I'd ask for up-to-date thoughts on the trials and tribulations of getting insurance.

I've been with Allstate forever but haven't yet inquired about what my rates will be. I suppose I can do the obvious and go to Geico or Progressive or others and just start shopping for quotes. But thought I'd check in to see what people's experiences have been...

Thanks!

I've searched through the forums a bit, but the posts RE insurance are a bit of a mixed bag.

So I thought I'd ask for up-to-date thoughts on the trials and tribulations of getting insurance.

I've been with Allstate forever but haven't yet inquired about what my rates will be. I suppose I can do the obvious and go to Geico or Progressive or others and just start shopping for quotes. But thought I'd check in to see what people's experiences have been...

Thanks!

A lot of threads on this--but fair question.

However, it's really hard to gauge because insurance rates are all different based upon the driver (credit rating, driving record, multicar discount, longevity with insurance co, claims, etc). For me I have USAA and would never switch no matter the cost. My rate is coming out to the same as it was with a 2013 S5 Audi that I'm going to replace this one with.

Everyone will have different rates--so call yourself to get a real number.

I had to play hardball and switch everything home, both cars, etc. Insurance companies just don't value retention as much as new customers. I switched to Pemco which has the benefit of being local.

I had to juggle multiple offers and tell each one that I had talked with X, Y and Z and their rate was not good compared with Xs. Many had issues with VINs etc, but I prevailed. Though months later we are still dealing with confusion and fallout. Though my coverage didn't lapse for every one day (I overlap as a matter of course).