Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Interior- Materials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand the pressed banana leaf interior panels were nixed because of longevity concerns. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was the result of many cycles of humidity and temperature change testing.

Which lead me to my question... how many tests did they perform before going with the Banana Leaf and then how many test after they dropped it as an option?

Which lead me to my question... how many tests did they perform before going with the Banana Leaf and then how many test after they dropped it as an option?

I think the real reason Banana Leaf was nixed was because of poor customer reception. It sounds good when a company uses recycled materials but if it looks horrible then not many people will buy into it. Smart thing to do is say that they had longevity issues with this trim, instead of telling the public that it just was not a very popular option (especially this late in the production cycle).

I think the real reason Banana Leaf was nixed was because of poor customer reception. It sounds good when a company uses recycled materials but if it looks horrible then not many people will buy into it. Smart thing to do is say that they had longevity issues with this trim, instead of telling the public that it just was not a very popular option (especially this late in the production cycle).

I agree. I think it was probably nixed for aesthetic reasons.

I'd also be curious to know what durability testing was done on the leather and microfiber. I'm sure they look great new, but how will they age?

The light coloured microfibre in my 2001 Prius looks new at 100,000 miles. In the 2004 with 135,000 miles it does too with the exception of the driver's arm rest. I don't have any reason to suspect that it will be any different in the Model S.

I can tell you that the black leather seats in my Honda Accord V6 2004 didn't hold up well. Honda has had a lot of issues with leather seats tearing prematurely or cracking on or right after the warranty expired. I would be very disappointed if that happened in my Model S, especially since I plan to drive it even more then I did my Accord!