TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S interior panels accent suggestion

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tdelta1000, Jul 16, 2012.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I would like to suggest that TM consider going with a brushed aluminum as a sixth interior accent.

Non Leather interior
    ~Brushed Aluminum
    ~Piano Black

Leather interior
    ~Lacewood
    ~Carbon Fiber
    ~Obeche wood Gloss
    ~Obeche wood Matte

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes! I found the Piano Black in the car that I rode in at Palo Alto rather uninteresting. Brushed Aluminum (that I had in my '04 Acura TL - similar car here) would be great! Nice texture and look.

Btw, thread belongs in the Model S forum?

3. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I could not agree more. Brushed Aluminum would look incredible with the textile interior.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Again, I initially REALLY wanted to see this, but after seeing the final dash, I think brushed aluminum would be too much. There's such a large surface to cover. It also would likely only look good with a dark interior. All that said, if they made it look good with black, I'd be for it.

5. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

FWIW, the car I rode in had the Piano Black, and it was full of fingerprints. None of the cars had the Gloss Obeche, but they did have the samples available, and I didn't care for it. Also quite prone to fingerprints.

Matte Obeche for me.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

+1 I really like that idea.

7. ddruz

ddruz Member

Ditto. Another +1.

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Even if TM does not consider it for production at least a one-off would be nice to see. I honestly think the aluminum would be a hit and also it would add another choice to their line up.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Bump....:redface:

10. kgb

kgb Member

not to mention, the brushed aluminum accent interior would emphasize the fact the the car itself is made from aluminum.

11. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

FWIW I had brushed aluminum trim in my Z4 with a beige leather interior and it looked great. Gave a light, clean and modern feel and was maintenance free. I would choose it in the S were it to become available.

12. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

+1

One of the reasons I'll probably buy the perf model is that I do not much like the regular trim options. Wood is completely out (usually only seen in cars owned by senior citizens here) and the Piano black is too shiny (a matte version would be nice). The carbon fibre however looks nice and supposedly is quite matte too.

13. jerry33

I've been saying that wood doesn't belong in an automobile for quite a while now.

It sure does. Can't afford the performance version just for that, but it would be nice to have a non-shiny option in the non-performance version that wasn't wood. I'd hate to have to put contact paper over it:scared:

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Some of us don't agree with you on that one.

I agree it doesn't belong in Model S though.

15. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

A decidedly male viewpoint. Many women prefer the warm tones of wood accents in a car. It does express a luxury feel, unlike carbon fiber or matte black. Those are definitely sporty, masculine elements. Before the flames begin, know that there are many men who love wood accents in an interior (myself included, as long as it is done tastefully), and women who prefer a sporty look like aluminum or matte materials, or carbon fiber. I'm only speaking in generalizations.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That's a bit presumptious.

I don't think wood belongs in the S because of the tech vibe of the vehicle. Has nothing to do with gender.

For Bluestar, it might be a different story.

17. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I totally agree with that thought.

18. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Jerry I too would have to disagree with your statement. I think wood adds the character that a luxury car needs but I think the aluminum will also bring the added flair to TM's product offering.

19. jerry33

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree on this point. Different strokes for different folks. To me wood in the car is a throwback to when carriages were made almost totally of wood.

When Egyptians first used stone for building they carved them to look like trees because previously wood was used for buildings. Eventually they used square blocks. When concrete was first used for building lines were put in it to make it appear to be stone--there is still some of this, but it's getting less frequent. These kind of decorations are just hold-overs from previous technology and don't contribute to anything except additional cost.

20. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

The car may have a tech vibe, but it is still marketed as a premium auto, primarily to a crowd who would also shop Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. All of them have wood trims. I agree, the tech aspect suggests more colder trim choices, but to say that wood doesn't belong in this car?? That's presumptuous.