Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S interior refresh features that will make it into 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
The Model S interior refresh features/pics were finally released and I'm hoping some of these trickle down into us lowly 3/Y owner's cars. It looks like they've addressed most of the Model S interior shortfalls and built on what 3/Y have done right. Which features do you want to make it into 3/Y most ?

MODEL S Interior Features (Tesla unveils new Model S with new interior, crazy steering wheel, and more - Electrek)
Tesla-Model-S-interior.jpeg

S_Three_Displays.jpeg

S_Game_from_Anywhere.jpeg

S_Glass_Roof.jpeg

Audio and Media

1. Premium 22-speaker audio with active noise cancelling

2. Multi-device music and media over Bluetooth®

3. 17” center display, 12.3” driver’s display, and 8” second row display

4. Gaming computer with 10 teraflops of processing power

5. Wireless controller compatibility
Comfort

1. Heated seats for every passenger, heated steering and heated windshield

2. Ventilated front seating

3. Tri-zone Airwave cabin conditioning

4. HEPA air filtration system

5. Custom driver profiles with automatic easy-entry and exit

6. Ambient lighting

7. Tinted glass roof

8. Ultraviolet and infrared protection on all glass
Convenience

1. Front center console with sliding cup holders and storage

2. Second row stowable center armrest with integrated storage and wireless charging

3. Automatic opening and closing rear liftgate

4. Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors

5. 28 ft³ of cargo space and secure front trunk

6. Wireless and USB-C fast charging for every passenger

7. Location-aware automatic garage door opener

8. Phone Key

MOST WANTED:
  • Active noise cancelling (PLEASE get rid of the tire noise!)
  • Second Row display (Climate control, Games(according to pics?))
  • Wireless controller
  • Ventilated seating
  • *Power Frunk lift (I wish they would just include this since it would increase the functionality a ton not having to push on the fragile hood each time you close it)

NOT the steering wheel, please! Those things look pretty but are monsters to drive with. Think how you let the wheel slip through your hands when straightening after a turn .. then imagine how it would be with that damn U wheel.
Yea...not a fan of the steering wheel. I hope there is an alternative option.

Also, just saw on the description in ordering screen that the center screen also has left/right tilt. That's a nice touch.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
Steering wheel is garbage. Seems like Elon trying to further push that we don’t need to drive the car soon...

Noise cancelling would be neat, US roads are not maintained well enough for the 3 to be quiet inside. I still think the 3 should have a dash with at least speed and maybe gear.

Powered lift gate, never understood the push for this, perhaps as I gain more wisdom and my bones thin I could need this feature. I like the ambient lighting, that’s a neat feature, I have 3rd party lights but it’s not the same.

Reactions: acacia
Steering wheel is garbage. Seems like Elon trying to further push that we don’t need to drive the car soon...

Noise cancelling would be neat, US roads are not maintained well enough for the 3 to be quiet inside. I still think the 3 should have a dash with at least speed and maybe gear.

Powered lift gate, never understood the push for this, perhaps as I gain more wisdom and my bones thin I could need this feature. I like the ambient lighting, that’s a neat feature, I have 3rd party lights but it’s not the same.

yeah either tesla says single screen is good enough and i.e. then the model s should have come with a hugggee horiztonal screen. Or they say its not in which case the 3 should have at least a small dash screen.

It makes the 3 feel somewhat gimped, though i myself dont dislike the lack of a dash screen. Id love a hud speed though.

Reactions: pilotSteve
yeah either tesla says single screen is good enough and i.e. then the model s should have come with a hugggee horiztonal screen. Or they say its not in which case the 3 should have at least a small dash screen.

It makes the 3 feel somewhat gimped, though i myself dont dislike the lack of a dash screen. Id love a hud speed though.
Yea, it seems clear that they are trying to differentiate the MS and M3 with a more upscale cabin with more screens but their language re: the “second display in front of the driver shows critical driving information” is a little inconsistent with the messaging for the M3/MY one screen design.
F122DE5E-5753-4FE1-8E8D-4BC4588DBE6F.jpeg

Yea, it seems clear that they are trying to differentiate the MS and M3 with a more upscale cabin with more screens but their language re: the “second display in front of the driver shows critical driving information” is a little inconsistent with the messaging for the M3/MY one screen design. View attachment 631508

its stuff which just isnt needed coz it makes cars feel artifically gimped. I.e. compare a BMW 2 series to a 7 series. The BMW 2 series feels just as much of a BMW than a 7series.
With the 3 you sort of feel like driving a gimped S interior for the sake of selling the S.
Like I said I dont think there is anything bad about a single screen only (I dont miss a dash screen) but it would be nice for a clear interior design language in Teslas vehicles. It looks like they have done that now i.e. the S trims look very similar to the 3 now. But for some reason the S gets this dash screen. For what?

its stuff which just isnt needed coz it makes cars feel artifically gimped. I.e. compare a BMW 2 series to a 7 series. The BMW 2 series feels just as much of a BMW than a 7series.
With the 3 you sort of feel like driving a gimped S interior for the sake of selling the S.
Like I said I dont think there is anything bad about a single screen only (I dont miss a dash screen) but it would be nice for a clear interior design language in Teslas vehicles. It looks like they have done that now i.e. the S trims look very similar to the 3 now. But for some reason the S gets this dash screen. For what?
Yea totally agree. IDK why but It almost feels like the interior on the MS is the old Apple approach of giving the iPhone Pro Max the better camera and bigger battery. They are improvements on basically the same design but I don’t want the larger form factor so I have to go without the upgraded features.

The old MS cabin design felt so dated that I didn’t really feel like I was missing out on anything, even with the second display. With the refresh design, it definitely feels like the 3 is “missing” features now.

Just give me ventilated seats and ANC. The rest don’t do much for me.

Amen. Dual pane glass all around, cooled seats, noise canceling. Maybe more external cameras. I wonder if the new S and X will get more cameras. 7 cameras is not really enough for full self driving.

--"Multi-device music and media over Bluetooth®"--

Please Elon, can we get a software update for this?!? I hate how my phone is mute when I streaming music. I need to hear rings and notifications when I'm not specifically on the 'Phone' input. Also when on the 'Phone' input, the car should be able to pull sound files from the 'USB' input so that stuff like boombox works properly.

HUD (with speed and limited navigation) was my most favorite feature on 2009 BMW 550 that I traded in for my Signature S85 in 2013!

Agreed. F that stupid thing - it's not a video game.

I'm keeping an open mind on the Steering Wheel. I bet it's awesome. I bet the whole keep your hands on the wheel approach works good. Stalks are, what, 80 years old?

One thing Tesla's severely lack is rear radar / true cross path / true blind side monitors. Which would help feed critical data to AutoPilot.

Have to wonder with the new 3D virtual backup camera screen update due if any cameras were moved so that works better.