Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Interior vs Other $100k Interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Plaid's second row floor completely flat and same height as the non-Plaid S? Any differences of any kind between Plaid and non-Plaid?

(The Lucid Dream floor has a higher floor height than the non-Dream due to battery size difference there, such that the rear seat passengers' feet and therefore knees are notably higher in the Dream. The EQS has -- I believe -- a non-flat floor in all configs due to a floor hump in the rear center.).

Thank you.

Reactions: NavyZW
Is the Plaid's second row floor completely flat and same height as the non-Plaid S? Any differences of any kind between Plaid and non-Plaid?

(The Lucid Dream floor has a higher floor height than the non-Dream due to battery size difference there, such that the rear seat passengers' feet and therefore knees are notably higher in the Dream. The EQS has -- I believe -- a non-flat floor in all configs due to a floor hump in the rear center.).

Thank you.
AFAIK there are no interior differences except for software and trim pieces.

What is luxury? It's highly subjective. I test drove a Mercedes EQS a week before I picked up my 2022 modell S. Diamond quilting and button tufting is not luxurious to me. It's my grandmother's living room. The salesman went to lengths to demonstrate the different colors of the ambient lighting. Very distracting. It looked best when it was turned off. There are still a lot of buttons and switches all over the place like all German cars. It looks very cluttered. Basically a 1980s disco. My friend who was with me is a Mercedes guy and he admits he has no idea what 75% of the buttons in his car do. The controls for the side mirrors are on the driver's door where you would expect them to be but I couldn't figure out how to use them so i test drove it with them misadjusted. That's absurd as i have never had a problem with what should be a trivial and intuitive control interface. The rear seat floor is very high from the battery. I'm only 5' 7" and my knees were uncomfortably high. You can't just give it a voice command without starting a whole conversation with the car where it asks how it can help you. The dealer was proud of the fact that they were only asking $30,000 above MSRP.

Back to what is luxury. My wife and I have had 6 or 7 new Volvos over the last 11 years. We love them. The car I came out of was a 2018 S90 which has the current interior. I appreciate Scandinavian elegant simplicity. Tesla has taken this concept and turned it up to 11. The interior materials all look and feel very nice to me. Even my buddy the Mercedes guy who had warned me that the Tesla interior won't be as luxurious as what I was used to in my Volvos changed his mind the first time he sat in my car. Now he wants one, but he still has a few years to go on his current lease. Pictures don't do it justice, it needs to be experienced.

Once you learn where the controls are in the center screen, things are easy. Even easier is just using voice commands for almost everything. Defroster on, rear defroster on, adjust mirrors, adjust yoke, my feet are cold, seat heater or yoke heater on or off, open doors to make the handles present, etc. Don't forget keep Summer safe and open butt flap. You never have to dig around in the menus while you're driving. Autopilot settings or suspension settings or any other menu item followed by settings opens the relevant area so at worst it's a voice command and 1 tap.
The interior looks great and gets out of your way so you can enjoy driving, and holy cow do I enjoy driving this car!

The 2022 Tesla model S is smooth, quiet, refined, effortlessly fast and elegantly simple with amazing technology. That's luxury.

EQS starts @$125k for the entry level and that will be like the $35k model 3 that existed for a week. My friend runs one of the largest Mercedes dealerships and you won’t realistically get one under $135k, maybe.
Maybe depends on location? A friend of mine just bought one for right at $100k. I have to admit the massage seats are nice, but that's where that ends for me. The ambient lighting is like an effing rave in there, I hate the cartoonish UI, all the buttons, just too much for my taste. I have a new S (just missed it being a 2022 VIN by 2 weeks or so). It's my third one, and it still takes my breath away every time I open the door. To each his own, the tech and filling up in my own garage are worth way more than massaging seats and color changing party lights.

Reactions: MGMiller
I also miss soft close doors, adjustable side bolsters, massage seats, hidden window shades, and HUD.
The soft close doors are a funny one. Every time someone closes my car door for the first time, they immediately have to do it for a second time. Usually it is followed by a "I don't want to hurt your car" statement of some kind... Sure you have to give it some force but wow, what strength a person would have to have to damage a door just by closing it aggressively

Wow. Is it that bad? Still on the fence of getting my car
My refresh doesn't rattle at all for what it's worth. The ride is incredibly smooth. What is a bit annoying only happens on dirt roads. I was recently at Joshua Tree driving through some of dirt roads there and every video taken of the scenery was tainted with very loud squeeking noises. Very loud. Unless I'm on a dirt road though the ride has been incredibly smooth for me

I recently purchased a 2016 MS with 35k miles. My only complaint about the interior is the lack of storage space. What makes up for that is the fact that I drive on average 7k per month and it has not cost me a dime. Car came with lifetime charging.
Having been in the 2016s, the storage issue has been dealt with in the refresh. I have more storage than I know what to do with

Right or wrong there is a segment of the $100,000 plus car buyer that is accustom to or prefers some of the missing features, buttons, workmanship and materials. Tesla has been improving in this regard but will probably not attract those buyers by the time the competition offers their EV's, and you know they will.
To compete with the model S LR at the 100k price point, will be impossible. There will be a large premium by the competition, all while they lose money on the sale of each EV for many years to come. Tesla is at nearly 40% gross margins so not sure how these competitors can ever catch up. Either folks will have to live with subpar price/performance, dated software tech, possible bankruptcy of the brand they are purchasing, with fancy buttons and features, which follow typical German over engineering routines, vs streamlined design albeit less fancy and stylish (subjective), excellent class leading price/performance, class leading software tech, worldwide charging infrastructure, industry leader in EV tech, etc…. In China, Tesla has displaced all branches as the leading luxury brand. Just saying.

Reactions: NavyZW
I took delivery of a 2021 refresh last fall after having driven German cars (Merc, BMW, Audi) for almost 20 years. I miss some of the so-called creature comforts (massage seats, HUD, soft-close doors) and some convenience items, such as foot-activated trunk open. However for me, the drivetrain of the MS more than makes up for these deficiencies. I agree that other offerings just do not compete at the price point of the MS (look at the Audi GT or the Taycan as examples). I wish that Tesla could provide the option to purchase some of the extra options (of course at additional price), however, I know that is unlikely given their manufacturing processes.

I took delivery of a 2021 refresh last fall after having driven German cars (Merc, BMW, Audi) for almost 20 years. I miss some of the so-called creature comforts (massage seats, HUD, soft-close doors) and some convenience items, such as foot-activated trunk open. However for me, the drivetrain of the MS more than makes up for these deficiencies. I agree that other offerings just do not compete at the price point of the MS (look at the Audi GT or the Taycan as examples). I wish that Tesla could provide the option to purchase some of the extra options (of course at additional price), however, I know that is unlikely given their manufacturing processes.
I realize its subjective, but my opinion: The massage feature I rarely if ever used in my benz when I had it. Soft Close doors are more of an annoyance, because 99% of passengers dont know they are soft close, and either end up slamming the doors or I have to tell them before they close them "hey, you dont have to slam, just close them kinda soft and they will automatically close". (and they end up fully closing them anyways). Never had HUD but Im guessing its a nice feature. I thought for sure I'd miss having a sunroof, but then I remembered that honestly? Due to either high humidity, pollen, etc? I actually rarely used the sunroof I had. And in my former BMW, the sunroof ended up ratting at some point or ended up having a broken lift arm, and the labor to fix required full removal of the headliner (pain). So actually..a fixed glass roof is perfect for me.

I fully get others disagree with me. But yes, for the $79k (pre price increase) I paid for the LR refresh, all in all? Its a STEAL.

And if any of those companies could offer that interior quality with the advanced technology, EV propulsion system (even though they can't) the car would be $250k. Now that other manufacturers are getting into the EV game we're quickly starting to see what a more realistic comparison looks like in terms of price even though they fall WELL short in terms of performance.

Face it, with Tesla you're paying for the best EV tech available, hands down. They didn't use top grade materials because they knew the increase in price would deter lots of buyers. The mission never was to have the best interiors in the world. That's something other manufacturers who are still powering their luxury cars with 100-year-old engineering brag about.

If you want world class refinement that will significantly impact the cost. Most people talking about "make a better interior" assume that because the car costs $100k they can just make it better at the same cost. That's not how it works.
I tend to agree. Other companies are trying to play catchup to tesla and the whole super charger network puts them apart from the others in a huge way.
If i was porsche or? i would have somehow just paid tesla to put thier whole charge ports tech in my car so it can use the super charger network.(if that was even possible?) we know one day gas stations will likely have ev stations on the lot when ev's really take off(if they do)
While i agree the model s is pretty stripped down in asthetics its not really that that we paid for..its the tech-the body stylin on the s is still current in looks and even maseratti copied the model s look.