Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Interior vs Other $100k Interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is ignoring EVs like:

• EQS
  • Lucid Air
  • BMW iX
  • BMW i7

that are all close to the MSLR in price with better interiors. Yes, Tesla has a price advantage right now - but that price gap is closing.
EQS is $135k not the $105k advertised
Lucid air $180k
Bmw IX is smaller than a BMW X3
Bmw I7 will be $160k
Taycan comp is $140k

And except for the Porsche no one has any idea on reliability.
You can’t argue that.

Reactions: Destiny1701
The fact that they're powered by rechargeable batteries is about the only thing they have in common. We all know that range is king when it comes to EV and anyone can make a $30k car that has 100mi range. So if the battery is the most expensive aspect it would serve to reason that they made some sacrifices in that area to be able to produce a nice interior while achieving a target price point. Compare the performance numbers on those same cars and then tell me they're the same thing with better leather.
Lucid Air has 2 trims below the MSLR's price with the same range.

BMW iX is cheaper than the MX and has comparable (though less) range.

EQS has similar (if not slightly greater) real world range to the MSLR and a comparable price, especially with the federal tax credit factored in

Last edited:
EQS is $135k not the $105k advertised
Lucid air $180k
Bmw IX is smaller than a BMW X3
Bmw I7 will be $160k
Taycan comp is $140k

And except for the Porsche no one has any idea on reliability.
You can’t argue that.
EQS has two trims: $102k and $126k.

Lucid Air has two lower trims (Air Touring and Air Pure) both with comparable range and speed to the MSLR, but with lower price points ($95k and $77k) before factoring in federal tax credit.

BMW iX is comparable to the X5 in size, not the X3. (X5 = 194"L, iX = 195"L, MX = 198").

Agreed that reliability is a huge variable - these are all untested cars with wholly new tech and platforms for their OEMs. But let's not give Tesla a free pass on reliability here either, Tesla's not exactly Lexus-level reliable.

The fact that they're powered by rechargeable batteries is about the only thing they have in common. We all know that range is king when it comes to EV and anyone can make a $30k car that has 100mi range. So if the battery is the most expensive aspect it would serve to reason that they made some sacrifices in that area to be able to produce a nice interior while achieving a target price point. Compare the performance numbers on those same cars and then tell me they're the same thing with better leather.
For a youngster you seem totally “right on“. Although for me ”range” wasn’t king, it was tri-motor “g”force! 😵‍💫 Go Avalanche !

Reactions: Ostrichsak
After owning my 2021 Model S Long Range for just over 6 months now I have noticed a new trend in the arguments for Tesla haters. What used to be range complaints or distaste for the exterior look has been replaced with an overwhelming amount of "The interior just doesn't compare to other $100k cars." I heard it again today and finally decided to do some research but immediately hit road blocks. For an immediate comparison I looked at a BMW M850I and am still confused as to what it has that the Model S interior doesn't. I've posted this in hopes of collecting photos, info, or anything else to support the notion that the Model S does not have an industry comparable interior. What should a $100k car interior look like? How should it feel? What cars serve as good illustrations and what are some bad examples? Does anyone on this forum believe this too or is this another example of hate coming from people that have never owned a Tesla?
Real leather
Better interior lighting including ability to adjust the color and brightness

Reactions: NavyZW
I bet you don't miss the gas station and the lovely people you meet there.

Not sure how gas stations fit into comparing interiors (electric or otherwise) but probably should keep it on topic.
You are correct though, I do not miss the gas station at all.
As far as the people at the gas station, they are probably happy that I am not there as well.

Build quality.

Materials quality.

Feature content like massaging seats, extending thigh support, HUD, ambient lighting.

Customer support.
Build quality.
*German cars are built to fail at specific intervals so you go back in for service after 4 years, 50k miles. I can confirm this with past new purchases of a MB clk500, BMW X5 2nd gen, e46 3 series...

Materials quality.
*MB has high end material quality in massive amounts (plus lots of cheap painted chrome bits, yuk) but once again built to fail at specific intervals, this drives revenue for them in service for the dealerships, since this is how their business model works. MB makes no money on the sale of the cars, but on the service of the life of the vehicle.

Feature content like massaging seats, extending thigh support, HUD, ambient lighting.
*Every one of the features you mention goes against the mission, Tesla is not building fluff cars, they are building streamlined well put together (with improving build quality with constant improvement in the manufacturing process, and modular components which are backwards compatible and will be able to be upgraded/swapped out in the future when issues arise.this is intentionally done and strategic). The advantage here is that there is MUCH LESS TO BREAK in the fluff areas of the car over time. Less buttons that melt, less trim that chips, less things to get charged for. That's why I never owned one of my German cars past 5-6 years/100k miles. It's a known thing. In addition, all that fluff adds weight, and completely goes against the mission and efficiency of the vehicle. Once the world has advanced and many folks own EV's and Tesla gets to massive scale with massive gains in electric efficiency where it no longer matters, then it might be ok to start adding in fluff to satisfy the elite.

Customer support
*at the expense of the now dinosaur aged legacy, so the dealerships can continue to exist and profit as the middle man, so the OEM's can continue selling parts for years, so the unions can continue to profit especially at the top, but yes I agree, currently they have a massive edge. However keep in mind the Tesla is in the midst of changing the game in this regards as well. Deploying mobile techs to client sites is just ramping as a service, their aim is to handle all aspects of the insurance/service business in-house. True vertical integration, with growing pains...so set your expectations properly and profit.

Real leather
Better interior lighting including ability to adjust the color and brightness
How well do you think the Real leather will hold up over the projected lifespan of an EV? Did you know that Model S seat covers are interchangeable and backwards compatible due to use of the same internal frame? This is a serious long term advantage and also allows easy customer customization since the frame is a universal part...

The lighting I agree on, they could have added some more options there and rumored to be working on this now...However I am not looking for anything that resembles MB style lighting as that is WAY over the top, luckily it can be turned off.

Reactions: NavyZW