Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S intermittently loses 4G/LTE/network connectivity while powered off

beyerch

Mar 15, 2020
United States
FYI - This isn't just a MCU 2 problem, perhaps? As I read that 3G is getting phased out and I was getting the eMMC replacement done on my MCU 1, I figured it would be a great time to also have them upgrade it to LTE. Ever since they "upgraded" me to LTE, I almost always have "1 bar" on the signal meter, my streaming freezes/fails, and I can't even search for destinations in navigation.

I live in a suburb with no signal issues. My AT&T LTE phone is always 4/5 bars, yet the car is always @ 1. (I always had full 3G signal as well)

Perhaps I have a different issue, but I had zero issues with 3G and from day one of LTE it has been a complete mess.

Maybe SC forgot to reconnect an antenna or something, though. 🤷

rowdy

Jan 18, 2016
Australia
Maybe SC forgot to reconnect an antenna or something, though.
That would be my thought. Definitely a different issue as this bug results in no connection (line is through the LTE signal). If you're getting 1 bar in a strong signal area then I'd think they've done something to the antenna or broken the connection.

Have updated my car to 2021.32.10. Bug is still there.

beyerch

Mar 15, 2020
United States
That would be my thought. Definitely a different issue as this bug results in no connection (line is through the LTE signal). If you're getting 1 bar in a strong signal area then I'd think they've done something to the antenna or broken the connection.

Have updated my car to 2021.32.10. Bug is still there.
Yeah was thinking the same, just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm now in month 5 of them wasting my time on stupid *sugar*.

My navigation stopped working in early March after they programmed a key fob. (yeah, that makes no sense, I know) [Long story, but software version would disappear from Software screen and it would act like maps were downloaded until you rebooted the car, then it would work again.... until the car was powered off. then reboot again.....]

4 months of back and forth w/ no resolution. They finally agreed to do eMMC recall which seems to have fixed that problem, buuuuuuuuut. Since I had them do 3G to LTE, now I can't use Navigation properly *OR* stream music now.

FFS.

Just so aggravating.

tefla

Jul 22, 2021
Norway
The problem is definitely still here on 2021.32.21.
I tried to use the app to get in contact with my car many times during two days - to no avail.
When entering the car it took the usual 2 minutes before the LTE was online again.
I believe someone suggested to try waking up the car by sharing an address with the Tesla app. No dice.
My service center said this issue was introduced in version 2021.4.
I believe I reported the problem back in April at 2021.4.15.
Extremely annoying.

Btw: It seemed the loaner had the same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: fetzu

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC