Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S intermittently loses 4G/LTE/network connectivity while powered off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm why do you think that is not a real fix? I'm pretty sure that's the only way it can work, and the exact way it worked with MCU1 too. App connectivity requires MCU to be alive, so if it is sleeping it must be waken up.

Good to hear it works now. My car is just installing an update at the moment, I hope it fixes it for me too.
I guess you’re right. The only reason why I think it appears different now is because it’s less seamless. You can still approach the car without a key and the app will take a little bit of time to wake the car, then connect the lte module and then respond on the app.
As opposed to before when it was in standby with a constant live lte connection

I guess you’re right. The only reason why I think it appears different now is because it’s less seamless. You can still approach the car without a key and the app will take a little bit of time to wake the car, then connect the lte module and then respond on the app.
As opposed to before when it was in standby with a constant live lte connection
Also with the car asleep with no lte connection, I’m not sure how the car alarm will work.

I’ll allow myself to piggyback on this topic with an issue I think is related to the OP: ever since I upgraded to the MCU I have been experiencing the same issues (car seemingly being asleep and waking up disconnected from LTE, taking minutes to reconnect) and I somehow think it’s related to the car being unable to sleep.

TeslaFi and teslamate (both used in parallel but also independently) are showing that my car hasn’t really been able to « sleep » since the MCU2 upgrade. Setting TeslaFi to report « offline » as being asleep does show small bouts of usually 58 minutes (with no more than 2 hours) sleeping (with a idle/« sleep »/idle almost clock-work like alternance. This leads to the car using up to 0.85 km/h (somewhere in between 0.25 and 0.80 seems to be the norm) in vampire drain/phantom loss.

i have checked the is usual suspects (sentry and summon standby off, tilt/intrusion off, scheduled charging off, unplugged usb devices, reboots…) as well as cycling my API keys and turning off polling for 20 hours a day on TeslaFi to monitor the drain and I can’t get it below 0.25 km/h of loss.

I suspect that these bouts of “offline” is the car truly being offline, and that getting in during one of those bouts is what brings forth the symptoms the OP (and follow up posts) described.

tl;dr: has anyone suffering those loss of connectivity symptoms since their MCU2 upgrade also noticed unusual phantom drain/vampire loss?

Yep, I’ve documented this elsewhere in the forum. My vampire drain since going MCU2 is typically between 50W and 90W, or a shade under 2% per day. It would make sense if the LTE sleep and vampire drain issues are both related to the lack of standby DCDC on cars from / before Q2 2015.

Incidentally I’m still on 2021.12.25.7.

T
I’ll allow myself to piggyback on this topic with an issue I think is related to the OP: ever since I upgraded to the MCU I have been experiencing the same issues (car seemingly being asleep and waking up disconnected from LTE, taking minutes to reconnect) and I somehow think it’s related to the car being unable to sleep.

TeslaFi and teslamate (both used in parallel but also independently) are showing that my car hasn’t really been able to « sleep » since the MCU2 upgrade. Setting TeslaFi to report « offline » as being asleep does show small bouts of usually 58 minutes (with no more than 2 hours) sleeping (with a idle/« sleep »/idle almost clock-work like alternance. This leads to the car using up to 0.85 km/h (somewhere in between 0.25 and 0.80 seems to be the norm) in vampire drain/phantom loss.

i have checked the is usual suspects (sentry and summon standby off, tilt/intrusion off, scheduled charging off, unplugged usb devices, reboots…) as well as cycling my API keys and turning off polling for 20 hours a day on TeslaFi to monitor the drain and I can’t get it below 0.25 km/h of loss.

I suspect that these bouts of “offline” is the car truly being offline, and that getting in during one of those bouts is what brings forth the symptoms the OP (and follow up posts) described.

tl;dr: has anyone suffering those loss of connectivity symptoms since their MCU2 upgrade also noticed unusual phantom drain/vampire loss?
The bulletin firmware update fixed it for me. My car is now always waking up when I open the app and lte springs to life when I get into the car.

Yep, I’ve documented this elsewhere in the forum. My vampire drain since going MCU2 is typically between 50W and 90W, or a shade under 2% per day. It would make sense if the LTE sleep and vampire drain issues are both related to the lack of standby DCDC on cars from / before Q2 2015.

Incidentally I’m still on 2021.12.25.7.
I did see your post previously and it did look like what my car is going through; the thing is mine is a Q3 2017 (and I don’t know if these have a standby DCDC converter or not).
I’m considering doing a factory reset, because my bet is on a software issue (some setting having been somehow « ported » wrong from the Anyhow I filed a service request with Tesla asking them to examine remotely and explain why my idle power usage has spiked so much. I’ll update here if anyone is interested.

Tesla did the firmware update but the version number hasn’t changed so it’s appears like nothing really changed just by looking at the version numbers alone.
I'm glad it's fixed for you but it sounds like they may have flashed the device directly. Perhaps getting some customers to beta test the fix before a wider release?

This connectivity issue has been driving me nuts as I do many short trips. I asked my local service center to scan bulletins for the firmware update to resolve this problem. They said there was nothing they could give me now but went into some detail and said a fix should be included around 2021.36. Fingers crossed!