Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S intermittently loses 4G/LTE/network connectivity while powered off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI - This isn't just a MCU 2 problem, perhaps? As I read that 3G is getting phased out and I was getting the eMMC replacement done on my MCU 1, I figured it would be a great time to also have them upgrade it to LTE. Ever since they "upgraded" me to LTE, I almost always have "1 bar" on the signal meter, my streaming freezes/fails, and I can't even search for destinations in navigation.

I live in a suburb with no signal issues. My AT&T LTE phone is always 4/5 bars, yet the car is always @ 1. (I always had full 3G signal as well)

Perhaps I have a different issue, but I had zero issues with 3G and from day one of LTE it has been a complete mess.

Maybe SC forgot to reconnect an antenna or something, though. 🤷

Maybe SC forgot to reconnect an antenna or something, though.
That would be my thought. Definitely a different issue as this bug results in no connection (line is through the LTE signal). If you're getting 1 bar in a strong signal area then I'd think they've done something to the antenna or broken the connection.

Have updated my car to 2021.32.10. Bug is still there.

That would be my thought. Definitely a different issue as this bug results in no connection (line is through the LTE signal). If you're getting 1 bar in a strong signal area then I'd think they've done something to the antenna or broken the connection.

Have updated my car to 2021.32.10. Bug is still there.
Yeah was thinking the same, just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm now in month 5 of them wasting my time on stupid *sugar*.

My navigation stopped working in early March after they programmed a key fob. (yeah, that makes no sense, I know) [Long story, but software version would disappear from Software screen and it would act like maps were downloaded until you rebooted the car, then it would work again.... until the car was powered off. then reboot again.....]

4 months of back and forth w/ no resolution. They finally agreed to do eMMC recall which seems to have fixed that problem, buuuuuuuuut. Since I had them do 3G to LTE, now I can't use Navigation properly *OR* stream music now.

FFS.

Just so aggravating.

The problem is definitely still here on 2021.32.21.
I tried to use the app to get in contact with my car many times during two days - to no avail.
When entering the car it took the usual 2 minutes before the LTE was online again.
I believe someone suggested to try waking up the car by sharing an address with the Tesla app. No dice.
My service center said this issue was introduced in version 2021.4.
I believe I reported the problem back in April at 2021.4.15.
Extremely annoying.

Btw: It seemed the loaner had the same issue.

• Informative
Reactions: fetzu
Do not worry my dudes, the SC rep told me that « the issue is under investigation and a software fix will be rolled out in a future firmware upgrade. »

The fact that he clearly understands the difference between software and firmware and my past experience with that same answer for an unrelated issue (i.e., the issue not being fixed and only going away after my MCU2 upgrade) makes it so believable.

I can’t wait to pay a couple of thousand bugs in 5 years to have that issue fixed with my MCU3 upgrade and a totally different issue one pop up :’) !

Just saying I have this bug too. Got MC2 upgrade recently and since then my car loses connection when sleeping and wont regain it when I wake the car up. Doing a hard reset of the MC seems to get it to reconnect. Super annoying bug. Likely trying to save energy or data and ends up just being a massive bug that will never get fixed. Grumpy

Just saying I have this bug too. Got MC2 upgrade recently and since then my car loses connection when sleeping and wont regain it when I wake the car up. Doing a hard reset of the MC seems to get it to reconnect. Super annoying bug. Likely trying to save energy or data and ends up just being a massive bug that will never get fixed. Grumpy
Tesla forgot to reconnect the antenna and fixed it. Now my gps isn’t accurate😕

Tesla forgot to reconnect the antenna and fixed it. Now my gps isn’t accurate😕
Wait a minute, I am having this issue after MCU2 upgrade as well. Car falls asleep as expected, but if I wake it by getting in it can take 3-5 minutes to reconnect to LTE. I had the SC look at it, but I dont think they are super knowledgeable where I went here in EU. Are you saying you had the same issue and it was an issue were they needed to connect some attentna? Would be good to know if that were the case, so I can let them know

Wait a minute, I am having this issue after MCU2 upgrade as well. Car falls asleep as expected, but if I wake it by getting in it can take 3-5 minutes to reconnect to LTE. I had the SC look at it, but I dont think they are super knowledgeable where I went here in EU. Are you saying you had the same issue and it was an issue were they needed to connect some attentna? Would be good to know if that were the case, so I can let them know
Had nothing to do with an antenna, its b/c there’s no standby power supply on older MS and in order to limit vampire drain the MCU is pit in sleep mode in an “intelligent” way. @wk057 wrote some excellent content on this forum on the topic.

I've had this exact same problem. It'll be working just fine and then I stop somewhere (store, home, etc). Then when I come back to drive off there's no connection to LTE even if it's only been a few minutes. It won't connect until 2-5 minutes into the drive and then it's fine the rest of the time. It started with one of the updates. Not sure which update because it doesn't do it all the time. Hopefully they'll push out a software update to fix it. It's mostly just annoying to not be able to listen to Spotify right when I start driving.

I've had this exact same problem. It'll be working just fine and then I stop somewhere (store, home, etc). Then when I come back to drive off there's no connection to LTE even if it's only been a few minutes. It won't connect until 2-5 minutes into the drive and then it's fine the rest of the time. It started with one of the updates. Not sure which update because it doesn't do it all the time. Hopefully they'll push out a software update to fix it. It's mostly just annoying to not be able to listen to Spotify right when I start driving.
Known problem. Started for me when I upgraded to MCU2 about one year ago. Never had this issue with MCU1.

Could it be I have the same issue? I have a 2013 Model S with old MCU1 but with LTE upgrade.

As I live across the border from my work, my LTE connection always drops during the border crossing, as the network needs to switch providers. It has always done that and would come back a few minutes later.

Ever since a while ago, without a software update (or to my knowledge) my LTE connection would drop out at the border, come back (according to bars), but I would still be without a data connection. Navigation will say it is offline, can't stream and also can't connect to the car using the Tesla app. Only fix is a center screen reset which takes ages.

If I park my car without resetting and then get back in (leaving it overnight after I arrive home and then get back in the following morning), it will reset itself and work again. That is, until I cross the border again in the other direction...

I think this is a country border issue at the telephone company. Instead of just switching cells, you are likely also switching plans and carriers. The new country's towers may not be able to seamlessly authorize you in the new country to continue the existing connection and verify you have a valid data plan. Resetting the connection would then make the connection work. I guess the Tesla would try resetting the connection in the past when it worked. Perhaps you could toggle the cell connection in the car off and back on manually. Try switching to WiFi and then back.