TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC
  1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Is this a foreign market charger?

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Are there really different chargers for US and abroad? Looking at the label, it looks like it can take pretty much anything you throw at it - anywhere from 85 to 300 VAC with a frequency of anywhere between 45 - 65 Hz, plus it says it can accept both single phase and three-phase.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

The cars for foreign markets where they have 3-phase power (Europe, etc..), have chargers that each contain three 16A chargers. This is opposed domestic versions that contain one 40A charger.

4. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

Price reduced on Tesla website. $2000 new with installation.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I don't think you can just connect the phases together into one phases, so it would have to be more than a junction box.

Anyway, from my understanding, the chargers are different, depending on if the car has a Tesla-proprietary connector (as in the US), or a standard-compatible type 2 inlet (as in Europe). And the old 120 kW superchargers used a stack of 12 US-spec charger modules, 4 modules per phase. The new 135 kW use the Euro-spec 11 kW charger modules, with every module connected to all three phases.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Correct, you can't just bridge all three A/C input phases together. BOOM.

The DC OUTPUT of the 3 sub-chargers it's what's combined, but I believe that's within the main charger housing. If you have two chargers installed in your car, then those outputs may be combined at the junction box.

7. Well of course you can't bridge three phases when you actually have three phases. The charger accepts input from 3 AC lines and in the US version the junction box bridges those inputs into one inlet from the charge port. The charger doesn't care if the 3 phases have a shift or not.

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

#11 markb1, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    So, you're saying the one phase from the charging inlet is split into the three phase inputs of the charger? Possible, I guess, but certainly old cars did not have three-phase chargers.

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Just responding to what you wrote:

A single phase connected to three inputs in parallel is not "3 phases".

10. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

#14 scaesare, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    I think you are misunderstanding my point. I'm not doubting all three inputs are bridged together in parallel.

What I'm pointing out is that you aren't connecting "3 phases" together... you are feeding that set of bridged inputs with a single phase, exactly as that picture illustrates.

11. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Another thing that might be useful to know for a prospective buyer is whether this was the primary or secondary charger in the car. The chargers get programmed by Tesla to be one or the other and can't be swapped without reprogramming (which I'm assuming only Tesla can do).

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I beleive you will also need a software upgrade from Tesla to use the second onboard charger.