Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually connect my 4G Flatrate WiFi hotspot after I start driving, and it always connects without any problems. I use it to provide Internet for my family while ensuring an alternative faster 4G connection for my Model S (using another carrier) as opposed to its native 3G connection.
The car also connects to my Nexus 5X Android hotspot without any problems. The only case I found that prevents a successful connection to a Wifi hotspot is when you use a VPN in your hotspot, probably because Tesla itself uses a VPN connection to communicate with the car.
Some important tips regarding WiFi connectivity of the Model S: Always use the lowest channel available (best 1-6), and use WAP2 Personal-AES for encryption, allow auto (B,G,N) WiFi protocols and limit the bandwidth to 20MHz. as Tesla doesn't support 40MHz.

So I just tested it. Whenever you engage drive, if it's connected to WiFi, it disconnects and re-connects to 3G/LTE. However you can manually then reconnect it to your WiFi hotspot or AP, but you have to do it each and every time you shift into drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
So I just tested it. Whenever you engage drive, if it's connected to WiFi, it disconnects and re-connects to 3G/LTE. However you can manually then reconnect it to your WiFi hotspot or AP, but you have to do it each and every time you shift into drive.
Thanks, that works for me. I'd only use it if I lost cell connectivity in the middle of nowhere anyway. Appreciate the confirmation.

i was contemplating the $500 LTE upgrade but honestly, since there are no useful integrated apps i dont the the point. the 3G works well enough for what the Nav and build in browsers do. i find the browser unusable even when connected to wifi. its just too slow. so all you use the data for is radio, navigation and data downloads and 3G does that just fine.

i was contemplating the $500 LTE upgrade but honestly, since there are no useful integrated apps i dont the the point. the 3G works well enough for what the Nav and build in browsers do. i find the browser unusable even when connected to wifi. its just too slow. so all you use the data for is radio, navigation and data downloads and 3G does that just fine.
4G/LTE does it a little faster. It was included in my build but I think $500 is a very fair deal particularly from Tesla.

The Nav map tile redraws are phenomenally faster with LTE, if you care about that.

So far Tesla has continued to pay for Internet radio from Slacker and Tune-in for all owners.
The navigation system, browser, Internet radio, and software updates use the LTE connection.
No you cannot use the car as a hot spot or your phone as a hot spot for the car.
Currently all apps on the car are proprietary and supplied by Tesla.

I know a bit off topic from this thread, but as a Tesla newbie myself (MX delivery next month!), has Tesla ever mentioned that they would ever stop paying for internet in the S or X. I've always been told that it comes with the car, and that's it. I never thought that one day they may turn it off.

I don't know that I'd use the word "phenomenally". More like "somewhat".

ok, maybe not "phenomenal" but I found it well worth the upgrade price. I know some people don't agree.

But while driving on long road trips in unfamiliar areas, the ability to quickly zoom in and out on the maps, and not have them take 30-45 second to redraw with 3G is significant to me. With LTE, it's more like 5 to 10 seconds. And that's just the street maps, not terrain.

I know a bit off topic from this thread, but as a Tesla newbie myself (MX delivery next month!), has Tesla ever mentioned that they would ever stop paying for internet in the S or X. I've always been told that it comes with the car, and that's it. I never thought that one day they may turn it off.

More than a year ago, Tesla said it will be free for the next 5(?) years, so we have a few years left in that. After that, nobody knows if they'll extend free access or set up some sort of billing system for it. I suspect the former until at least the Model 3 is released.

ok, maybe not "phenomenal" but I found it well worth the upgrade price. I know some people don't agree.

But while driving on long road trips in unfamiliar areas, the ability to quickly zoom in and out on the maps, and not have them take 30-45 second to redraw with 3G is significant to me. With LTE, it's more like 5 to 10 seconds. And that's just the street maps, not terrain.
Also, it's not just the additional bandwidth speed, in my area I get more range with LTE and 4G than with 3G. This is especially important when driving through the desert and mountain areas in Southern Calufornia. All in all $500 ain't that bad a deal.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
At least it's not GMs model:

Vehicle buyers will get three months of 4G service or up to 3 gigabytes of use, whichever comes first.

After the trial period, owners can pay for the service on a sliding scale based on usage. Those who already subscribe to OnStar's existing safety and security service or its navigation service will pay lower rates for some monthly plans.

• 200 megabytes (enough to stream about six hours of music or use the Internet for 13 hours): $5 for OnStar subscribers; $10 for non-subscribers.

• 1 GB: $15 for subscribers; $20 for non-subscribers.

• 3 GB: $30 for subscribers and non-subscribers.

• 5 GB: $50 for subscribers and non-subscribers.

GM also will offer one-time purchases of $5 a day (for subscribers) and $10 (non-subscribers) for 250 MB of use and $150 (subscribers) and $200 (non-subscribers) for a month of up to 10 GB.

At least it's not Fords model:

Vehicle buyers will get three months of 4G service or up to 3 gigabytes of use, whichever comes first.

After the trial period, owners can pay for the service on a sliding scale based on usage. Those who already subscribe to OnStar's existing safety and security service or its navigation service will pay lower rates for some monthly plans.

• 200 megabytes (enough to stream about six hours of music or use the Internet for 13 hours): $5 for OnStar subscribers; $10 for non-subscribers.

GM also will offer one-time purchases of $5 a day (for subscribers) and $10 (non-subscribers) for 250 MB of use and $150 (subscribers) and $200 (non-subscribers) for a month of up to 10 GB.
3 GB?? That's it? I use 6GB on my phone monthly..

At least it's not Fords model:

Apples and oranges. You can't use Fords model since Tesla is a connected vehicle. OTA is Tesla's primary means of support. Also,Tesla benefits from receiving data back from each vehicle so they are not going to cut it off. What they might do is start forcing users to pay for their own subscriptions to apps like Slacker but unless they plan on fixing their AM/FM radio reception they still need to provide and pay for TuneIn.