Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apples and oranges. You can't use Fords model since Tesla is a connected vehicle. OTA is Tesla's primary means of support. Also,Tesla benefits from receiving data back from each vehicle so they are not going to cut it off. What they might do is start forcing users to pay for their own subscriptions to apps like Slacker but unless they plan on fixing their AM/FM radio reception they still need to provide and pay for TuneIn.
AM? I heard my new MX doesn't even have AM on it.. Anyone know if there's truth to this?

I listen to local news and sports on AM. Tunein will help me achieve that? I need to be able to listen to my Toronto Maple Laffs err Leafs :oops:
Install the free version of TuneIn on your computer or phone (create your own account). Do searches for the radio stations you like and the sports teams you want. Once you find them save them as favorites (or "follow" them) and it will carry over to your car if you sign in using your own ID and password. TuneIn is super clear and you can select high bandwidth for even better sound. I think you'll like it.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
Install the free version of TuneIn on your computer or phone (create your own account). Do searches for the radio stations you like and the sports teams you want. Once you find them save them as favorites (or "follow" them) and it will carry over to your car if you sign in using your own ID and password. TuneIn is super clear and you can select high bandwidth for even better sound. I think you'll like it.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look into this

Apparently. They even let you use the car as a Hotspot so you can suck data even faster via multiple mobile devices. Also meant to say GM, not Ford.

As someone who had installed a home-made 3g hotspot in his car about 10 years ago using a Sierra Wireless 3g PC-CARD in a Phoebus 3G Wifi router, (and later replaced that with a much smaller Cradlepoint 3g-wifi router) these days I really don't see the need for car-as-wifi-hotspot anymore with LTE on almost every device, and personal hotspots offered from most cell phone carriers.

My iPhone has long since replaced the Cradlepoint since the jailbreaking days and an app called MyWi. Now the LTE hotspot is just included in my AT&T plan and works great.. and for Mac devices (Macbook Air, iPad), I use Bluetooth instead of wifi for internet sharing as it uses less bandwidth and doesn't broadcast an SSID.

So I just don't see "car-as-hotspot" such a big deal anymore.

p.s. For sale: Phoebus and Cradlepoint cellular wifi hotspots. ;)

As someone who had installed a home-made 3g hotspot in his car about 10 years ago using a Sierra Wireless 3g PC-CARD in a Phoebus 3G Wifi router, (and later replaced that with a much smaller Cradlepoint 3g-wifi router) these days I really don't see the need for car-as-wifi-hotspot anymore with LTE on almost every device, and personal hotspots offered from most cell phone carriers.

My iPhone has long since replaced the Cradlepoint since the jailbreaking days and an app called MyWi. Now the LTE hotspot is just included in my AT&T plan and works great.. and for Mac devices (Macbook Air, iPad), I use Bluetooth instead of wifi for internet sharing as it uses less bandwidth and doesn't broadcast an SSID.

As someone who has never needed to use a mobile hotspot (Verizon unlimited since the 3g days), I also fail to see the attraction. Perhaps this would help supplement families that have lower tier shared data plans. It could avoid overages, etc as the kids stream untold amounts of crap during a road trip.

Bluetooth isn't going to get a device to the Internet. That's why it would be great if passengers could connect to the AT&T cell network that's in the car already. I'd agree that that is a net cost increase to Tesla due to the added bandwidth though.

Interesting topic. It sounds like the Nav map redraws are significantly faster with the LTE upgrade. Can someone please advise me whether the upgrade would also reduce the occurrences of the Google maps sometimes not drawing at all after I start my old model S? The red arrow moves in that case but the map doesn't appear until I reboot the screen.

Thanks!

Interesting topic. It sounds like the Nav map redraws are significantly faster with the LTE upgrade. Can someone please advise me whether the upgrade would also reduce the occurrences of the Google maps sometimes not drawing at all after I start my old model S? The red arrow moves in that case but the map doesn't appear until I reboot the screen.

Thanks!
I'd say it's faster and the Google Maps redraws are improved. It also helps with Slacker and TuneIn due to the increased bandwidth. "Significant" is a relative word.

Okay, I think I understand. My point was to save data charges by connecting to the car as a hotspot, I already know the device will connect via cell to the Internet and Bluetooth isn't needed at that point.

In my experience with both 3G and LTE in the Model S, the in-car connection just doesn't seem up to par with LTE mobile phones on the same network, so adding more bandwidth sinks on the car network would/could seriously affect the in-car applications from working properly.

My whole premise is that an in-car hotspot is no longer really a needed feature since there are better, more stable, alternatives.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
That's true and i
In my experience with both 3G and LTE in the Model S, the in-car connection just doesn't seem up to par with LTE mobile phones on the same network, so adding more bandwidth sinks on the car network would/could seriously affect the in-car applications from working properly.

My whole premise is that an in-car hotspot is no longer really a needed feature since there are better, more stable, alternatives.
I hadn't considered the car being affected by my selfish personal bandwidth hogging. I was only considering my selfish desire to save a few bucks on my own data consumption. Good points!

Also, just looking into the near future, bandwidth is going to become so cheap, it's almost free. I already have a cheap 3GB plan on AT&T which is automatically doubled to 6GB... I'm online all the time and I barely use 1GB or sometimes 2GB when I'm tethering my notebook from a hotel. Now I don't really stream movies or spotify, but I do do a ton of web and email activities.

Now if you had a brood of kids in the car, each doing movies and music, I can see how burning through 10GB/month might be an issue. But is that the exception, or the rule?