Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S inventory order delivery time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had mistakingly posted this on the model X forum . I could not fine a similar thread on the Model S forum. My appologies if it is a duplicate. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences.
Last month I was about to purchase a Mercedes AMG GTs when my brother called me in the dealership and talked me out of it and told me to give model S a try. He is a big car guy and has driven everything from Lamborghini to almost every Porsche 911 they make. I fully trust his judgement.He said there is nothing like it. So I apologized to the sale person who was drafting the paperwork on the AMG and went home. The next morning , I got on the website and
Configured my Model S 90 D with all the bells and whistles. Just before clicking on the order, I noticed inventory offers "similar to mine" with "14 day delivary" I checked one , it was only missing the air suspension from what I wanted. So I figured not waiting 3 months was a fair trade off for the air suspension. I ordered it.
I was pleasantly surprised when the sales associate from the nearby store called me Withings minutes , wanting to know if I want to test drive one. First car I ever naught without a test drive. Needless to say . I absolutely loved it. After the test drive she told me my car should be in seattle and in my hand in 14 days from Pennsylvania. If I didn't want to wait that long I could have had the car I test drove in 2 days , but being an older model, it had less cameras and sensors. So I opted to wait.
Then the headache started. After the first week I contacted her to check, she said the car was on its way and on schedule. On the 2nd week I got an email from another guy in tesla , when I contacted him thinking that my car had arrived, he had no clue I had already ordered one. He simply wanted to offer me a test drive. Feeling bad he checked and said the car had arrived Fremont CA for "reconditioning". He said he would flag the car for rush delivery.
Another week went by, no news. So I contacted my original sale person, two days later she told me the car was en route and in ohio. Imagine my confusion; Pennsylvania ➡️CA➡️OH ?.

One more week; I get a random text , now the car is in St Loius,
Waiting for a truck. Should be here "in two weeks". That will be almost 7 weeks .

My beef is ; why advertise "14 day delivery " when you know it won't happen?
Why the confusion ? Either this car is taking a complete tour of the country before it gets to me, or they are just making stuff up. Last I heard the fastest way between two spots was a straight line . PENNSYLVANIA to CA to OH to st Loius and god knows where else to Seattle is not a straight line!

So, anyone else ordered a model S inventory with a 14 day delivery? What was the actual delivery time line?

Ps . I once shipped a car from Ohio to seattle for $800 in three days in the middle of the winter. Tesla needs to hire those people
Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: croman
My father-in-law is in the midst of purchasing an inventory car. He's in Cincinnati and the car was in Columbus, OH. They told him it would be two weeks from the moment he pulled the trigger and put down the deposit which was 1/27. The car arrived in Cincinnati on 2/5 but won't be ready for pickup until 2/10.

To me, his timeline seems incredibly slow for a short distance, but it pales in comparison to your wait. I think you have every right to escalate as much as you can.

My father-in-law is in the midst of purchasing an inventory car. He's in Cincinnati and the car was in Columbus, OH. They told him it would be two weeks from the moment he pulled the trigger and put down the deposit which was 1/27. The car arrived in Cincinnati on 2/5 but won't be ready for pickup until 2/10.

To me, his timeline seems incredibly slow for a short distance, but it pales in comparison to your wait. I think you have every right to escalate as much as you can.

Thanks . How do you even escalate?

Thanks . How do you even escalate?

Ask your Owner Advisor (the sales person) to speak to the regional manager. Tell that person what happened. If they cannot provide concrete next steps, I would advise you to ask for another car to be delivered that matches your configuration. They, regardless, should waive the $1200 doc and delivery fee because clearly they botched that.

Ask your Owner Advisor (the sales person) to speak to the regional manager. Tell that person what happened. If they cannot provide concrete next steps, I would advise you to ask for another car to be delivered that matches your configuration. They, regardless, should waive the $1200 doc and delivery fee because clearly they botched that.
Thanks

So I escalated it . Got call back from the manager who told me they can't find the car and he could not give me any timetable on delivery. He offered to expedite a new order to get at end of march. He is going to try to find me another car. Can't find another 90d will. Have to settle for a 75d . :(

So I escalated it . Got call back from the manager who told me they can't find the car and he could not give me any timetable on delivery. He offered to expedite a new order to get at end of march. He is going to try to find me another car. Can't find another 90d will. Have to settle for a 75d . :(

How do you lose a car? Especially one with GPS and internet connectivity, and an app that was designed to track it....
Hopefully they did something for you for the hassel

Can’t find your car?! I’m incredulous that that could even happen! I would hold out for an inventory 90D. There seemed to be more of them in their new car inventory than any other configuration. You’ve waited this long.

By the way, I ended up going the Custom Order route for my order because that was cheaper by a few hundred dollars, than the inventory car that was available in my city. I checked several times, very carefully, to make sure that the inventory car matched the way I configured my custom order. Both were exactly the same as each other, but the inventory car was still more expensive.

Since nothing has been lost to you at this point except time, I would suggest taking a look at the custom order option, and getting what you REALLY want.

Well the story changed again . The manager says the delivary driver had not been answering phone calls for 5 days. He finally did and his truck has engine problems. When I asked him how long will it take to finally get the car. He danced around and basically said to forget that car. Why won't I go for a p100d instead?i told him I don't want to spend en xtra $40k. I found another car on the website says that is in seattle with my specks. his answer was "well your Seattle and our Seattle is different. - that is not a joke ! He actually said that- that car is in Portland . I texted the Original OA who said she could have that car on a flat bed delivered to me in a day. The supervisor overruled her, said she should not have said that. And why don't we sit down for a cop of coffee today, just me and him. He still wants me to drive a p100d for a couple of days .

To top of it off , the finance guy calls me and says since the time I got approved the rates have gone up on loans and my clock is ticking to get my loan rate.
This is like dealing with a cheesy used car salesman , not the tesla experince.

I am going in to that "coffee " meeting with the tesla Moto in my head : no compromises

• Informative
Reactions: schonelucht
I found another car on the website says that is in seattle with my specks. his answer was "well your Seattle and our Seattle is different. - that is not a joke ! He actually said that- that car is in Portland . I texted the Original OA who said she could have that car on a flat bed delivered to me in a day. The supervisor overruled her, said she should not have said that.

There may be some truth behind that, but that doesn't excuse the attitude. The websites will give a general area, but inventory cars will get shuffled around during normal operations. For example: New York" could be the showroom in Brooklyn or in another state at various areas of NJ and CT.

If I take a look at Eriks inventory tool: (www.teslainventory.com) and search for a Model X in inventory. I see there's a black Model X 75D. The tool shows "Portland" and clicking the link for the car: Model X 75D 5YJXCBE28GF027728 | Tesla
shows that it's in Seattle.

All that means is that in the Seattle sales region (of which Portland is apparently a part of?) that vehicle would not incur a transportation charge to all dealers in that region.

Go through web sales instead if you're having issues though. If you go to the site, click on request a callback. You'll get another sales department and maybe they can help you out.

Reactions: Seal1997
Well the story changed again . The manager says the delivary driver had not been answering phone calls for 5 days. He finally did and his truck has engine problems. When I asked him how long will it take to finally get the car. He danced around and basically said to forget that car. Why won't I go for a p100d instead?i told him I don't want to spend en xtra $40k. I found another car on the website says that is in seattle with my specks. his answer was "well your Seattle and our Seattle is different. - that is not a joke ! He actually said that- that car is in Portland . I texted the Original OA who said she could have that car on a flat bed delivered to me in a day. The supervisor overruled her, said she should not have said that. And why don't we sit down for a cop of coffee today, just me and him. He still wants me to drive a p100d for a couple of days .

To top of it off , the finance guy calls me and says since the time I got approved the rates have gone up on loans and my clock is ticking to get my loan rate.
This is like dealing with a cheesy used car salesman , not the tesla experince.

I am going in to that "coffee " meeting with the tesla Moto in my head : no compromises

The delivery driver was in incommunicado for five days? Maybe they ought to better screen the vendors and service providers they contract with. I know, that’s not your problem, or ours.

Please update us on the outcome of your meeting. The manager’s snarkiness surrounding his “Your Seattle, our Seattle” comment was unwarranted, but I do appreciate his offer to meet with you in person. Good luck!

The supervisor overruled her, said she should not have said that. And why don't we sit down for a cop of coffee today, just me and him. He still wants me to drive a p100d for a couple of days .

I'm interested to hear how that goes. I imagine my response would have been something like "I'm happy to meet for coffee. However, unless you're showing up with an extra forty thousand dollars to put toward my purchase, you're wasting your time."