Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S is a $60k car now...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Model 3 that I drive. Love so much about it. Hadn’t been in my husband’s S for a number of weeks until this past week and I commented to him that as much as I love my car and not taking anything away from it, god it felt Great to be in his Model S again. It just did. I love it too. It’s a different feeling sitting it it but I felt wowed all over again. I’m really glad he has it and didn’t want to trade it for a Model 3 too. He has a 75D and yes it would be nice to have more range and some other features that my car has now but I still wouldn’t trade it in. Seeing this thread today I just had to add my recent experience and conversation with him.

My S is a great car, which I purchased almost 3 years ago now. One of the first with the refresh, but as of right now it doesn't make much sense to get an S unless it is at a reduced price. You can't claim a vehicle or item is your premium offering if lesser items are almost on par at half the cost.

I would get the glass roof too since I never open the sunroof and mine leaks! It leaks only rarely and just a few drops onto the front seat (or passenger). They took a shot at fixing it but it hasn't been completely effective - I usually drive the MS alone so it's not a big enough deal to pursue further. I suspect that one reason the sunroof was discontinued was because they didn't want to deal with leaks under warranty.

I would get the glass roof too since I never open the sunroof and mine leaks! It leaks only rarely and just a few drops onto the front seat (or passenger). They took a shot at fixing it but it hasn't been completely effective - I usually drive the MS alone so it's not a big enough deal to pursue further. I suspect that one reason the sunroof was discontinued was because they didn't want to deal with leaks under warranty.
No leaks for me yet. Knock on wood.

Just about every car I've bought has a sunroof including my S. I can count on one hand the times I have used them in the last 5 years.

Agree, but is good to have it when you need it.

Every time my cousin fart is so bad that not even the bio-defense mode works. Then having a sunroof is 100% worth it.

The filter in the picture is a representation of an aftermath...(Burrito Meal)

Attachments

• filtro.GIF
    filtro.GIF
    45.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Completely agree, I love my model S, but if it got totaled today I'd replace it with a long range model 3 for certain.
The model S needs a clear gap in both range and features. The Mercedes S class is a great comparison, it always has the newest features and justifies the price jump.

I feel the model S is missing some features that are already available on much cheaper cars, such as parking surround view cameras, and apple carplay / android auto.

Add some new tech (and catch up on some missing tech), give it a 400+ mile range that can take advantage of supercharger v3, and it would be enough to change my mind.

This is exactly why we ended up leaving Tesla after having owned Teslas since 2013. We went back to BMW and have been very happy with both the car itself and the value (we ended up getting the 530e for no money out of pocket after the trade of our P85D. The Model S design is stale, it lacks nice features that other cars have (HUD, for example) and not having to deal with superchargers anymore has been an unexpected joy. The longer Tesla goes without a premium model that has premium features at a competitive price, the less likely it will be that original owners like us will ever consider Tesla again.

This is exactly why we ended up leaving Tesla after having owned Teslas since 2013. We went back to BMW and have been very happy with both the car itself and the value (we ended up getting the 530e for no money out of pocket after the trade of our P85D. The Model S design is stale, it lacks nice features that other cars have (HUD, for example) and not having to deal with superchargers anymore has been an unexpected joy. The longer Tesla goes without a premium model that has premium features at a competitive price, the less likely it will be that original owners like us will ever consider Tesla again.

I would call HUD totally irrelevant. Especially because the S has a very nice instrument cluster.

What actually important features did you get with 530e?

Also, you either take a lot of road trips or don’t have a charger at home since you’re saying you’re tired of superchargers?

I would call HUD totally irrelevant. Especially because the S has a very nice instrument cluster.

What actually important features did you get with 530e?

Also, you either take a lot of road trips or don’t have a charger at home since you’re saying you’re tired of superchargers?

Maybe you need to try driving with a HUD and you'll see why people want them. If you think that an instrument panel is the same as a HUD, you may not understand what I'm talking about.

The other important features with the 530e? REALLY comfortable seats. A very quiet cabin. A great blend of performance and luxury.

And yes, we drive long distances pretty frequently.

@macbeth,

Here's the latest refresh news I could find.
There's some interesting tidbits of info such of mid-March 2018.

Tesla has begun rolling out the faster Intel hardware to Model S and X vehicles.
In addition, with Version 9, the UI now has the same modern approach as the Model 3

Tesla Model S and X Refresh Update - April 2019

In any event, if you really want to wait a few months,
you can rent a Tesla S from www.Turo.com for $57/day...

Rent Michael’s 2015 Tesla Model S in San Jose, CA | Turo

I agree with you, I would love to see a full electric Range Rover but damn their reliability. Jaguar / Land Rover should just get powertrain from Tesla and do their magic on top with interior appointments and finese.

Maybe you need to try driving with a HUD and you'll see why people want them. If you think that an instrument panel is the same as a HUD, you may not understand what I'm talking about.

The other important features with the 530e? REALLY comfortable seats. A very quiet cabin. A great blend of performance and luxury.

Nah, HUDs are complete gimmicks and for me a distraction.

I agree with the quiet cabin part, I am pretty disappointed with how loud S cabin is, Tesla really could’ve done a better job there. Feels like a drum sometimes.

Regarding luxury, that’s pretty subjective. For me, luxury is simplicity and clean design (not minimal like model 3, but simple like Model S). Sorry but 530e interior looks terrible imo.

Seats, maybe. I like the S seats, much better than my previous car. I wouldn’t want them to change it much.

The problem I’m facing is waiting for a new refresh. I was rear ended last week at highway speeds. Other car totaled. No one hurt. Mine looked bad but not too bad. Bumper, hatch, side panels.

Well they just told me today they are going to total it. Initial estimate for repair was $35,000. So question is how long do I wait to get a new S? When I bought my 2016 refresh in July 2016, they ended up adding ventilated seats a month later, and then AP 2.0 came out shortly thereafter. It would not be pleasant buying in the next week or so and then another month later having the same thing happen.

If anyone has any insight into a refresh timing, I’m all ears. I’ve looked at the PM3 and just think it is a little too small for me.
Very sorry to hear about your accident. I suppose it is better, in a way, that it is totaled, because that gives you the opportunity to get something else. You won't have all the hassle and delays of getting major repairs done on a Tesla.

You could get a used Model S and enjoy it until the refresh happens, if it ever does. There is a lot of talk about one, but so far as i can tell, there is zero evidence of any refresh being in the works. I would not hold my breath. i would get yourself whatever car seems best for your needs from what is out there now, Tesla or otherwise, and not make your decision based upon the expectation of a pending refresh.

Reactions: Macbest and darxsys
Completely agree, I love my model S, but if it got totaled today I'd replace it with a long range model 3 for certain.

I once thought this, as well. Then when the time came to get another car, we did two overnight test drives on an LR Model 3.

The car felt very much like a go cart… Fun, fast, bumpy. I couldn’t see driving long-distances in it, and that is unfortunately my use case.

This reminds me of a brief ride I had in a friend's Mercedes E class last weekend. He gave my spouse and me a ride to and from a dinner meeting. Just a mile or two in each direction. One way I rode in front and the other way, I rode in back. What struck me immediately was the sense of silence when the doors closed. The cabin just absorb sounds. Admittedly, we did not travel far or fast, so this was not a full test. Very little sound from the suspension and tires, at least at city speeds. Plus, the rear seats were so much more comfortable than the Model S, and there was more leg and head room. I am not sure what year the car was -- it is a few years old.
I owned Mercedes E class for many years myself, before I got the Model S, but I had almost forgotten just how much quieter and more comfortable they are. Cabin comfort and quiet is definitely a deficiency in Tesla's capability and I would hope it is a high priority for any refresh. Once there is a viable competitive market for EVs, Tesla will need to step up their game on these aspects. Model 3 does not seem to indicate much progress on that score.
Everyone recognizes this, so I am not saying anything new. I just hope Tesla is working towards better cabin comfort.

I use mine pretty much every day. It was one of the factors in my purchading the S vs the 3.

We opted for a 2018 Model S over a 2019 mostly because of the sunroof.

IMHO it was a very bad decision to remove the sunroof as an available option for the Model S.

We love our sunroof and this is a great time of the year to enjoy the sun and fresh air from the sunroof.

Reactions: Macbest and Russell