TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S is heckuva deal now with air suspension for all

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jul 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Just want to point out that the S is a great deal right now - the best value it has ever been. The base car now includes my two "must have" features -air suspension and glass roof plus 249 mile range and still unlimited supercharging for those buying through a referral. And it's now a full second faster to 60 than 8 weeks ago and includes the best seats Tesla has ever made. All for $69.5K before tax rebates! Damn car just gets better and better value each year.

• Like x 3
  2. Max*

Max* Not Banned

I dunno, I didn't get air suspension, and if I had a choice, I wouldn't get it again.I feel it's more of a personal choice.

With that being said, the current S is only a little more expensive than what I paid for mine 2 years ago, but includes a LOT more stuff.

3. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

I was thinking the same thing. I was very much scheming on upgrading to the new 75D but the new configuration doesn't work for me. I don't care at all about air suspension, but I have to have the subzero package. There is not another item in the premium package I care about, so now subzero is effectively a $5k option. The same thing happened to me last year. I was within a week of placing an order for a Model X 60 when they canceled it. Tesla keeps saving me money by changing things right before I place an order! In all liklihood, I'll just keep my old 70D until it falls apart.

• Like x 1
  4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I also didn't get the air suspension, don't regret it and wouldn't again if it was an option.

• Like x 1
  5. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I don't really want air suspension, but appreciate the added value proposition. Too bad forced all vinyl interior is a deal breaker.

6. Mike K

Mike K Member

Does anyone really notice the difference between real leather and whatever Tesla is using? I drove my 5 series for years before realizing my leather seats weren't leather and when I found out, it made no difference to me. I'm not judging. I guess I just don't see what the big deal is here.

• Like x 1
  7. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I totally agree. Calling it a vinyl interior makes it sound like they took landscaping tarp and turned it into seats. But modern synthetics are pretty impressive. I had previous BMWs with it as well, and was thoroughly impressed with how they felt and how they held up to 3 years of daily use. Frankly, so far my Tesla leather seats have worn worse than BMW synthetic.

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I've had two BMWs, one with Leather and one with vinyl "Leatherette". The vinyl seats were ripped in a few places after ~70k miles, while the real leather looks great with 100k miles on it.

The vinyl did feel pretty nice though and it wasn't as cold in the winter as the real leather. Was also a decade or so ago, so Tesla may have found a significantly better product. Still, I'd perfer to have the choice and decide myself.

9. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I liked the premium leather option in my most recent Audi 3 years ago too. I mean, honestly, if Tesla were like Audi/Porsche where they can offer 20 paint colors, 5 different glovebox liner materials, etc etc etc and still deliver your car on time and not mess up panel gaps, I'd say go for it, give us choices. But for now, I feel like simplification may be a good thing for them and for the customer. I'd rather them focus on one seat type and get it right.

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I think what they are doing with all the changes every day is far more counter productive to increasing quality than offering a number of different options.

11. Max*

Max* Not Banned

At one point they had over 4 million permutations of possible combinations between color, battery pack, interior options, features, etc.

Now, they're down to 32,760. That's the lowest I've seen it (before this change, I think it was close to 1M combinations). And if you look at hardware only options, that's down to 10,920 hardware combinations. There's probably a logistical reason they're doing this.

12. Mike K

Mike K Member

I've had a bunch of 5 series. M5's, 535s, 550's, 535D... I've got somewhat of a BMW problem. ;-) I will admit that the Dakota leather, which I believe is BMW's base leather option, is durable beyond anyone's comprehension. That said, it also doesn't feel like leather. It feels stiff and rough. It may as well have been the sensatec synthetic they use. The nappa leather upgrade my last 535D had was like butter. I would find myself subconsciously rubbing the armrest just to feel the softness. Same with the nappa in my A8's. By comparison Tesla's nappa feels cheap and not very soft.

I've never been one to pay too much attention to any of this though. Unless it is readily apparent in daily use that the leatherette is cheaper, I don't have an issue with it. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to this stuff as others.

13. kev1n

kev1n Member

air suspension is pretty useless for most common folks. the coil suspension is high enough that it wouldnt bottom out on anything anyways. now if they made air suspension fully adjustable, that would be a different story.