TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S is only 2cm bigger than Prius!

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by RichardMcN, Nov 13, 2016.

1. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Broke my ankle a couple of weeks ago which gave me the opportunity to compare Tessie with my wife's 2008 Prius, and guess what - Tessie (on the inside) is only 2cm bigger!

1) Tessie's width (with 2cm of wiggle room)
    20161113_190214.jpg

2) Pruis width (exact fit)
    20161113_191124.jpg

3) Tessie's length (with drivers seat set at my driving position)
    20161113_190707.jpg

4) Prius length (with drivers seat set at my driving position). Referencing off the holes in the crutches I'd say 2cm less.
    20161113_191350.jpg

So am I complaining? No definitely not! Tessie is perfect.

But I am thinking that this situation won't last forever. Currently we have a beautiful and highly sculpted (but space inefficient) Model S. This is really cool for us early adopters.

However I'm also thinking that down the track will there be pressure to get more internal room in the Model S to match all the new "Tesla killers" that are on their way and maybe the Model S won't look as great.

What do you reckon?

• Informative x 1
  2. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

I did notice that in the back seat of the model S, I only have 1cm head room above my head, and I'm only 6 foot.

3. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Yes the prius is bigger inside than it is on the outside. Not sure how they perform that feat of physics. Everyone was always surprised hpw big it was when they got in the backseat. Hopefully tesla can figure that out for model 3. Worse thing about the model s is that it is so long and wide.

• Like x 1
  4. wesley888

wesley888 Member

The model S is already a pretty big car. I doubt they are going to do much about the size. Maybe they have to make it this way to get 5 star crash test rating in all categories. Just a thought.

5. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

The Prius is space-efficient, but there Toyota would prefer you ignore your possible huge cost to that choice . . . and they hope you never find out the details: The Prius is designed to do well in crash tests, the Tesla, in both the real world AND in tests . . . but sometimes they get caught out by tests that change before they can re-design the car's structure:

Prius v Rates ‘Poor’ In New IIHS Crash Test; Fusion A ‘Top Pick’ - HybridCars.com

and:

Beginning with 2014 Prius and Prius Plug-in models, the front structure was modified and the side curtain airbags were lengthened to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. Then, starting with 2014 cars built after November 2013, the 15-inch alloy wheels standard on most models were sourced from a single supplier to provide a more controlled crush during the small overlap test. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.)

It's all about crush space folks--the reason the Model S is the safest car in the US is because it was designed to be. A byproduct of that is some remarkably thick doors, although they do hide it well. Likewise, lots of crush space front and rear, and it all leads to this:

Tesla's Model S Sedan Named Safest Car In The History Of Cars | The Huffington Post

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. garyjac

garyjac Member

I's not the size. It's how you use it old boy.

• Funny x 3
  7. Mark E

Mark E Member

Your Prius must be bigger than the one that was a taxi and 4 of us tried to fit into! Do they vary in size between years?

8. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Good question ... 4 adults + taxi driver = 5 adults. This is pretty squashy in a Model S too !

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I sure don't see it that way. There's no way you could fit in a Prius what I can fit in my Classic large frunk Model S.

10. Mark E

Mark E Member

We couldn't sit 3 abreast in the back of the Prius - at all - I had to sit forward so that the door would close!

11. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

Definitely the classic RWD 85 with dual chargers and huge froot (frunk in US/Can) is the true touring machine - green with envy ! !

12. Brian May

Brian May Member

TARDIS technology maybe?

• Like x 1