Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Is the white interior too hard to keep clean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

I just ordered a new Model S, midnight silver metallic with black and white interior. Although this is my dream combo, I was hesitant to get the white interior because I thought it would be too hard to maintain and keep clean. I thought I had 5-7 weeks for delivery and some time to think about the white interior. But as luck would have it, my Tesla rep found a new car that matches exactly what I ordered, and it's available for pick any time. So now I really have to decide!

What's your experience with the white interior? Is it worth having, even if you have to be careful not to get it dirty every time you get in the car, especially when you have other people riding with you? Do you have to constantly have handy-wipes available for easy clean up? My friends are saying it'll get dirty too fast and I will always be on edge about getting it dirty.

I love the combination of the silver metallic and the white interior. Should I just suck it up and pick up my new dream car? Or re-order with the cream interior, which I could live with but am not too excited about.

Hey all!

I just ordered a new Model S, midnight silver metallic with black and white interior. Although this is my dream combo, I was hesitant to get the white interior because I thought it would be too hard to maintain and keep clean. I thought I had 5-7 weeks for delivery and some time to think about the white interior. But as luck would have it, my Tesla rep found a new car that matches exactly what I ordered, and it's available for pick any time. So now I really have to decide!

What's your experience with the white interior? Is it worth having, even if you have to be careful not to get it dirty every time you get in the car, especially when you have other people riding with you? Do you have to constantly have handy-wipes available for easy clean up? My friends are saying it'll get dirty too fast and I will always be on edge about getting it dirty.

I love the combination of the silver metallic and the white interior. Should I just suck it up and pick up my new dream car? Or re-order with the cream interior, which I could live with but am not too excited about.

I would recommend searching the forum as you'll find a lot of content on this. I recall reading transfer of color from blue jeans (particularly new ones) as a common issue.

My car has white seats (they haven't been cleaned in about 5 months) and since I'm very much so a blue jeans guy my seats look blue after about 3 or 4 weeks. So like @Fresh-popcorn said to keep some wipes handy.

Also, don't spill in anything ORANGE in the seats and leave it to sit for longer than 30 minutes because it will stain the seat (I'm speaking from experience).

Ignoring all the cons the best part is, you will keep the car extra clean and it feels real nice and clean every time you get in. My reason for getting a light interior is during hot summers the seats and interior feels way cooler. If the car had cooled seats I would have considered darker interior.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
congrats on the new purchase. Question: When Tesla locates an inventory car after you've ordered, is there a price adjustment downward, since its actually an inventory car? Just curious

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about getting it sooner, as opposed to waiting 5-7 weeks. But in answer to your question, there's no price reduction because the car has less than 50 miles on it and the say it's still considered "new".

My car has white seats (they haven't been cleaned in about 5 months) and since I'm very much so a blue jeans guy my seats look blue after about 3 or 4 weeks. So like @Fresh-popcorn said to keep some wipes handy.

Also, don't spill in anything ORANGE in the seats and leave it to sit for longer than 30 minutes because it will stain the seat (I'm speaking from experience).

Thanks for the advice! Note taken. Sorry to hear about the orange stain.

Reactions: P85DBeast
We have the ultra white seats in our 2017 S and 2018 X - and the seats are still ultra white.

We have baby wipes in both cars for spot clean up.

When we have clothes that may be wet (after exercise or when it's raining), we have ultra white large bath towels that we place over the seats to prevent transfer from wet clothing. We added snaps to one end of the towels so the loop over the headrest. And if the towels get dirty, they can easily be washed.

So far - the combination of baby wipes and periodically placing towels over the seats, the seats have stayed clean - and we're very happy about our configuration decision.

We have the ultra white seats in our 2017 S and 2018 X - and the seats are still ultra white.

We have baby wipes in both cars for spot clean up.

When we have clothes that may be wet (after exercise or when it's raining), we have ultra white large bath towels that we place over the seats to prevent transfer from wet clothing. We added snaps to one end of the towels so the loop over the headrest. And if the towels get dirty, they can easily be washed.

So far - the combination of baby wipes and periodically placing towels over the seats, the seats have stayed clean - and we're very happy about our configuration decision.

Very helpful, thanks Bob! That makes me feel better about moving forward with the purchase. :)

Before purchasing our first ultra white seats, we visited the nearest Tesla Gallery (we don't have stores in Texas).

And they said the ultra white seats on their floor demonstration vehicles actually held up better than the previous seats...

And that's been our experience. I'm approaching 3 years on our 2017 S - and the seats still look great, without the wear you typically see on leather seats.

Reactions: tenortwo