TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S J1772 support?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Rifleman, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

Even with all of it's faults, J1772 has become the current standard for level 2 EV charging. Virtually all public charging stations are J1772. Tesla has stated that the Model S will come with an adapter to allow it to use J1772, but I have not been able to find out many details about this.

Does anyone by any chance have answers to the following questions about the Model S J1772 solution? I know Tesla has been pretty quiet on this, but maybe someone has heard something.

1. Does the adapter go from EVSE to Model S, or from EVSE to the Universal Mobile Charger and then into the Model S? Will we need to bring our entire charger along with us to use public stations, or just the adapter?
    2. Does the adapter lock into the Model S to prevent it from walking away when left out at a public charging station?
    3. What amperage will the adapter support. If you have dual chargers and are able to find one of the rare 75 amp J1772 chargers, will you be able to charge at 75 amps, or only at the standard 30 for J1772. What happens if you plug into one of the 15 amp Volts that EVSE's?

I figured these questions are a long shot to have answered, but it was worth a try.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've heard that it's an adapter that locks into the car.

It should be able to handle 80A since that is what the Model S's HPC will do (with twin chargers installed).

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

So Far J1772 has been UL certified to only 75 amps. Capable of 80, but UL certification is the limiting factor.

4. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

What I've heard from a reliable source:
    1) It's a "fitted unit" that attaches to the J1772 end of the cable, and then you plug it in to your Model S. No UMC required.
    2) It locks to the car just like any other Model S connector. I don't know if that's just a snap lock or it's a theft prevention lock. It's possible that it might support the J1772 locking hole at the other end for a small padlock.
    3) It will support the high amperage J1772 connectors, such as the Rabbobanks along Hwy 101 in CA. That's 70 amps delivered.

5. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

So if this comes together and you have access to J1772 chargers in the wild, this is a reason to look at the optional twin charger?

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Well, I am opting for the twin chargers. I bought a used (new in Box) Clipper Creek TS-70 ($900), and added the J1772 cord $(250). Now I can charge a Roadster, or my Model S when it arrives at 70 amps.

7. onlinespending

Somewhat relate, but is there a Trip Planner that allows you to see what EV Charging Stations are available along a given route? Say someone wanted to drive from Boston to DC and wanted to plan for where to charge along the route.

8. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

That was actually my main reason for asking these questions. I don't need 100amp charging at home (and my current electrical panel could not support it anyway), but having access to 75 amp charging on the road would probably be worth the extra $1500, particularly as I am buying a 40kw that will not have access to the superchargers. I guess a lot of it just depends on if 75 amp J1772 takes off or not.

9. richkae

richkae VIN587

This is the great thing about dual chargers and 20kW J1772 - you don't need to be limited by what public charging is available.

Suppose there is a trip you want to do regularly that is 50-100 miles beyond your range - and there is no charging ( fast or otherwise ) along the route.
    If you can find an EV friendly business to host it - for about $1500 - $2000 you can install a HPC ( I suggest a restaurant ).
    If you can find 2 other Model S owners who are interested, you can cut your cost to 1/3.

Your 50-100 mile range extension is a stop between 3/4 of an hour and 1.5 hours.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I heard at the Freemont EVent but the stills and video of the 14-50 adapter have the "beer can" at the other end of the cable and is a snap lock.