Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #21 is available now. We covered the recent wide release of FSD Beta and shared our experiences. We also discussed the best times to charge and Tesla's official CCS adapter. You can watch it on YouTube.

Model S jumps into Neutral while driving

A couple of times in the last two months my 2013 Model S has shifted into Neutral by itself when I have slowed down for a traffic light. That wouldn't be too bad, but then the car refuses to shift out of Neutral...I can't shift into Park, Drive, or Reverse. The Frunk won't open because the car thinks it's driving--I can't shut anything off or do anything that can't be done when you're moving, even though I'm very definitely stopped. I've tried all the versions of a system reset, but the car still comes back on frozen in Neutral. The first time I had to push the car to the side of the road and Uber to work. When I came back, everything was completely normal. The second time I had to call a flat-bed, by the time I got home, everything was normal again. Interestingly, when I checked my navigation system to report my location to the tow truck driver, it reported my position as over a mile away from where I actually was. The car was completely functional on my drive to the Service Center. They want to change everything in the Parking Brake system, but I can't see how there could be a fault there when the everything happens while I'm moving. Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm thinking a faulty door or occupancy sensor as it makes sense to me that the car won't go into gear without an occupant. I really don't want to spend $2500 fixing parking brakes that aren't broken!

A couple of times in the last two months my 2013 Model S has shifted into Neutral by itself when I have slowed down for a traffic light. That wouldn't be too bad, but then the car refuses to shift out of Neutral...I can't shift into Park, Drive, or Reverse. The Frunk won't open because the car thinks it's driving--I can't shut anything off or do anything that can't be done when you're moving, even though I'm very definitely stopped. I've tried all the versions of a system reset, but the car still comes back on frozen in Neutral. The first time I had to push the car to the side of the road and Uber to work. When I came back, everything was completely normal. The second time I had to call a flat-bed, by the time I got home, everything was normal again. Interestingly, when I checked my navigation system to report my location to the tow truck driver, it reported my position as over a mile away from where I actually was. The car was completely functional on my drive to the Service Center. They want to change everything in the Parking Brake system, but I can't see how there could be a fault there when the everything happens while I'm moving. Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm thinking a faulty door or occupancy sensor as it makes sense to me that the car won't go into gear without an occupant. I really don't want to spend $2500 fixing parking brakes that aren't broken!
Has your problem fixed yet ?

No--I decided to bring the car home and take a look at all of the brakes myself. I haven't gotten around to it yet and the car hasn't misbehaved again (yet). I did order a used Parking Brake Control module and installed it (very easy, by the way), but the car didn't like the used module at all (it was from a 2015 Model S--maybe not compatible?) so I put the old one back in.

I think its the module / the stalk itself.
The stalk "talks" continuously to the Drive Inverter. If that comm. interrupts i suspect that the motor jumps out of gear and logs an error / warning.
After a good period of no errors it will clear out and your sequence starts again.

I had this problem hopefully it helps you. My negative battery terminal ground was loose and it was causing super weird behavior. It only happened from time to time and worse almost drained the entire battery because the car wouldn’t turn off. I ripped the parking brake apart and made sure everything was good there. Long story short somewhere along the line the terminal became loose and once I put it back on tight never saw the issue again

Taking into account that there is no transmission it’s really not “slipping” out of gear; I would assume the fault to be with the stalk as someone said above, also not sure of any safety feature that will but the car in N before just putting it in Park altogther.. Check battery connection as said above and then Focus your effort on the stalk after checking connections and/or replace.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC