TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Key fob won’t update to V2

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jones6547, Sep 21, 2019.

1. jones6547

jones6547 New Member

This week I updated my Model S to the 2019.32.2.2 version of software. I then tried to update my key fobs to V2 per the instructions and both say the are up to date at V1. Anyone having this problem?

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

How old are your fobs? The update is only for the more recent versions with enhanced encryption.

• Like x 1
  3. BigNick

BigNick Disaffected Member

V1 and V2 key fobs are different hardware; you can't update a V1 fob to V2.
    Most V1 fobs will be up-to-date with respect to software, the V2 hardware fobs can be updated by the car.

• Like x 2
  4. DukeofURL

DukeofURL Member

Does anyone know the cutover production date from V1 fobs to V2 fobs?

5. zanary

zanary Active Member

I think late 2018. I just ordered a new v2 key fob as my third fob. My other two v1 fobs still work.

Mobile Service came and did it two days ago in about 45 minutes.

6. Shibiwan

Shibiwan Member

Late 2018 is correct for the V2 fobs. They doubled the hash length on the new fobs (which doubled the time needed to decrypt them from 2s to 4s).

7. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Wow, a professional that required 45 min to complete! I guess good to know that fobs not that easy to program.

8. croman

croman Active Member

Yes but as I understand it this update actually uses the 2 40 bit keys like 80 bit.

9. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Some minor points here, as I can’t determine relative position of your tongue and cheek.

Theoretically, a 40 vs. 80 bit key is a trillion or so times harder to crack (2^40 possible combinations vs. 2^80). That said, with most encryption, the details are in the implementation and it does indeed appear that Tesla’s “80 bit” implementation was to use two 40 bit keys, which is decidedly not the same thing as an 80 bit key.

This update as I understand it is intended to fix that and implement a true 80 bit key.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Shibiwan

Shibiwan Member

You are right in that it was a tongue in cheek comment. I should made it clearer with a ;)

• Like x 1
  11. jones6547

jones6547 New Member

Thank you! Is there some advantage to the V2 fob?

12. s1rk

s1rk Member

New fobs are supposed to have better encryption (Makes it harder to hack your key to make clones).

13. Huachipato

Huachipato Member

The issue is, using your formula to explain - that it wasn't initially set up as 2^80. Instead, it was set up as (2^40)*2.

• Like x 1
  14. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Is Tesla providing the new fobs for free (USA) for V1 customers? Or is there a charge, if so, what is the cost? Thanks!

15. zanary

zanary Active Member

They are not free. Schedule a mobile appointment and they come by and set it up for you.
    I think the costs is around $200 or so. You get to keep your old v1 fob as well and you can have all three provisioned to your Model S if you want.

16. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Thanks for the info. At this point, I don't think where I park (at home or at work) that I am suspect to key cloning / intercept (as I have seen on video). If I am really concerned, I'll enable pin-to-drive. But, I have a SC appointment this week, I'll ask … it doesn't hurt!