Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S knock off? 2015 Chrysler 200

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
2015 Chrysler 200: Spy Shots Photo Gallery - Autoblog

2015-chrysler-200-spy-shots.jpg

first thing i thought when i saw it was a Tesla (headlights)

look at the rear lights as well, and that plastic panel in the rear, shaped just like the Model S's lol

What's with all the freakin' knobs on the center console?!

Engineer: "BMW and Audi have been successful using a knob on the center console. Maybe we should put FOUR knobs there! More is always better!"

In terms of the edgy lines and cat eyes wrapped over a basic round body. Many of you know BMW designer Chris Bangle started this on the turn of the millennium BMW 7 series that was quite controversial. He did it to get away from the perfected "round" look especially with the late 90s/early 2000 BMW 5 series. My brother use to say... "all the cars look like a bar of soap" :) Many of you may recall when BMW migrated this design to a higher volume 5 series and there was quite an uproar.

Then BMW started to tame this aggressive design language, Audi jumped in as well... and both made it much more pleasing to the eye. We are now at a point that every manufacturer is doing it. Car is starting to look very similar again as copy cats have succeeded. Cars from all manufacturers are now round overall with edgy non straight, non leveled, and frequent use of concave lines. And I think pretty much everyone has cat eyes now :)

I don't know if I say this car look like Tesla or any other modern sedans. Most of them share a lot of common design language by now.

Personally, when I see the Tesla design language and the latest Ford design language... I see Aston Martin... mainly due to the front grill/cover's shape as this part is one of the most prominent cues for people.

Last edited:
In terms of the edgy lines and cat eyes wrapped over a basic round body. Many of you know BMW designer Chris Bangle started this on the turn of the millennium BMW 7 series that was quite controversial. He did it to get away from the perfected "round" look especially with the late 90s/early 2000 BMW 5 series. My brother use to say... "all the cars look like a bar of soap" :) Many of you may recall when BMW migrated this design to a higher volume 5 series and there was quite an uproar.

Then BMW started to tame this aggressive design language, Audi jumped in as well... and both made it much more pleasing to the eye. We are now at a point that every manufacturer is doing it. Car is starting to look very similar again as copy cats have succeeded. Cars from all manufacturers are now round overall with edgy non straight, non leveled, and frequent use of concave lines. And I think pretty much everyone has cat eyes now :)

I don't know if I say this car look like Tesla or any other modern sedans. Most of them share a lot of common design language by now.

Personally, when I see the Tesla design language and the latest Ford design language... I see Austin Martin... mainly due to the front grill/cover's shape as this part is one of the most prominent cues for people.

I don't know that I exactly agree. I really hope you're not defending Chris Bangle's design. Even in hindsight they still look awful, particularly around the trunk lid. It looks like an afterthought.

Then again, I don't really see the resemblance to the Model S in the Chrysler 200. I guess the headlights are somewhat similar, but other than that, I just don't see it.

Edit: PS, it's "Aston Martin," not "Austin Martin." ;)

I don't know that I exactly agree. I really hope you're not defending Chris Bangle's design. Even in hindsight they still look awful, particularly around the trunk lid. It looks like an afterthought.

Then again, I don't really see the resemblance to the Model S in the Chrysler 200. I guess the headlights are somewhat similar, but other than that, I just don't see it.

Edit: PS, it's "Aston Martin," not "Austin Martin." ;)

Thanks for the corrections, my mistake :) English is a second language so the ear don't pickup as well as native speakers :)

Certainly not defending Chris Bangles design as a final product... but I think objectively, it is fair to say he wanted to change the design direction... be it rather aggressively and many considered not aesthetically pleasing (I didn't like it either). In the end... the designs did change and the many of the design cues are here in todays cars but just got a lot more polished. I'd give him credit as a catalyst... of course not the final result.

I guess ultimately, we are talking about car design which is art... so subjective and to each one's own appreciation, experience and interpretation :)

Last edited: