Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S leaking glue under touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 model S90D is leaking a clear fluid under the touchscreen. It is very sticky Iand ruined my hat which was underneath. The touchscreen seems ok.
I went to the service center, and was old it is a common problem... but they refused to give me any details on options to fix it - said I needed a service appointment.
I read some threads about this problem and found out that it has not been resolved, and many owners are angry that it is not a warranty item. It seems that Tesla used the wrong glue with too low a temperature rating. I do not have air bubbles in my display, but I'm worried about what will happen.
Has anyone had a resolution from Tesla? It is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Very common issue. The fix is to replace the screen with a new one. My screen had bubbles but I never saw the goo. It got really bad quickly with the Instrument Cluster.

The better option is to probably just go for the MCU2 Upgrade for $1500 ($2K if you want to keep Radio function) and have both screens replaced and get a new better computer while you are at it.

Very common issue. The fix is to replace the screen with a new one. My screen had bubbles but I never saw the goo. It got really bad quickly with the Instrument Cluster.

The better option is to probably just go for the MCU2 Upgrade for $1500 ($2K if you want to keep Radio function) and have both screens replaced and get a new better computer while you are at it.
*in Mando voice*
This is the way.

(speaking as someone who had both screens bubble+leak but at separate times, the first a couple weeks before the MCU2 upgrade was made available, and has spent more on just the screens than the screens+MCU2+radio upgrade now costs)

This is not glue, but a compound to slightly expand the viewing angle of the LCD. It is in a thin layer between the LCD and the front glass. The technology has improved quite a bit in the last 10 years, and such a layer is no longer needed or used. Lack of the goo doesn't affect the LCD display itself but can make a mess if it starts to leak out. If you see bubbles in the display, the seal has broken and the goo will slowly start to leak out. Both the instrument cluster and main display used this technique until late 2015 or early 2016. Tesla would cover replacements when the car was under warranty, but a 2015 car is long out of warranty, and would not be covered.

It's well worth considering an MCU2 upgrade, as it replaces both displays with current technology. The new LCDs offer higher resolution with a better contrast ratio as well, which was not available back when Tesla designed the original MCU1.

This is not glue, but a compound to slightly expand the viewing angle of the LCD. It is in a thin layer between the LCD and the front glass. The technology has improved quite a bit in the last 10 years, and such a layer is no longer needed or used. Lack of the goo doesn't affect the LCD display itself but can make a mess if it starts to leak out. If you see bubbles in the display, the seal has broken and the goo will slowly start to leak out. Both the instrument cluster and main display used this technique until late 2015 or early 2016. Tesla would cover replacements when the car was under warranty, but a 2015 car is long out of warranty, and would not be covered.

It's well worth considering an MCU2 upgrade, as it replaces both displays with current technology. The new LCDs offer higher resolution with a better contrast ratio as well, which was not available back when Tesla designed the original MCU1.
Hi, can the mixture be added to the bubbles? What mixture is it? can it be bought normally? Well thank you.

Never heard of anyone trying to fix the displays. You'd have to find the leak, somehow inject new liquid and seal it up. I don't know what the solution is actually made of. If you go this route, an alternative might be to break a larger part of the seal and drain all the goo out. Still sounds like a lot of work and you don't want to break the glass or the sealed LCD behind it.

Be aware it is a pain to remove the display, as quite a bit of the dash needs to come apart. It's one of the more difficult DIY projects, although I'm sure there is a video or two on how to do it.

I was able to roll up a paper towel the exact width of the screen, and there is a slot behind the lower edge that the dripping goo comes out of. I shoved the paper towel in that slot. This prevents the goo from dripping on things below, but it does not solve the problem of bubbles in the screen. MCU2 is the best option (which is now a base price of $1750).

Reactions: zylstra
My model S 2014 touchscreen started leaking glue (at hot temp.) couple of weeks ago. Contacted Service and they want $900 and appointment is in 2 weeks.
It is clearly a design/process fault. I had my important documents messed up as these were accidentally under the glue tap when
it started. It is really hard to clean this glue. This faulty screen change should be covered. Last month I paid $350 for a non-functioning passenger side door handle which is another design fault.
Compare it to Samsung. My >10 year old refrigerator had ice-maker failure. Called service and they sent technician home and replaced
with new parts at no cost within a few days. I was pleasantly surprised. When I asked why no charge, I was told they know it is a design fault and they stand behind their products. I used to be a big fan of Tesla.

Compare it to Samsung. My >10 year old refrigerator had ice-maker failure. Called service and they sent technician home and replaced
with new parts at no cost within a few days. I was pleasantly surprised. When I asked why no charge, I was told they know it is a design fault and they stand behind their products.
Years ago I had a Samsung rear projection TV. Way out of warranty it started to show display problems. I saw that the model after my year they acknowledge the problem and were covering peoples TVs NC. Not mine. I sent them a letter explaining my situation and asked why my TV was not covered when the later models were. They responded that they would cover it with in home repair. It lasted another 5 years without a problem and when it was time to upgrade to 4k, I looked no where else but Samsung. Enough said.

Goo gone works well to remove the residual residue. Been there done that.

The crap is nasty and will come and go. Meaning there will be days you won’t notice anything new coming out and then it feels like a waterfall of it all. It took me 3 weeks to get my car in for mcu2 upgrade. And I’m pretty sure during that time make of it came out. I found the touchscreen to be slower with response once it was out.

While the cost does suck I don’t think this is a faulty thing. It’s just a wear and tear kind of thing. At the end of the day the mcu1 is 10 year old tech. The mcu2 is at this point 4 year old tech but will make the car feel brand new again.

I have been having this issue with the bubbles and the leakage. Goo Gone has been working but I live on the Gulf Coast with extreme heat. I am not happy with Tesla. I can't believe I was also told it will be $1500-2000 to replace. Now the dashboard screen is starting to bubble as well.