Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S leaking glue under touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And while the MCU2 retrofit is expensive, you should see what other automakers charge. For a crappy 9" screen on a Lexus, they wanted over $4K for the module part (labor extra). And it does a fraction of what MCU2 does.

I have been having this issue with the bubbles and the leakage. Goo Gone has been working but I live on the Gulf Coast with extreme heat. I am not happy with Tesla. I can't believe I was also told it will be $1500-2000 to replace. Now the dashboard screen is starting to bubble as well.
The good news here is that with mcu2 upgrade you get a new IC. Two birds one stone

My 2015 model S90D is leaking a clear fluid under the touchscreen. It is very sticky Iand ruined my hat which was underneath. The touchscreen seems ok.
I went to the service center, and was old it is a common problem... but they refused to give me any details on options to fix it - said I needed a service appointment.
I read some threads about this problem and found out that it has not been resolved, and many owners are angry that it is not a warranty item. It seems that Tesla used the wrong glue with too low a temperature rating. I do not have air bubbles in my display, but I'm worried about what will happen.
Has anyone had a resolution from Tesla? It is clearly a manufacturing defect.
Hi, I got the same problem with my 2015 model s , Actually on Dec. 6, the mobile service guy came to my garage to service for my battery issue and he told me the screen glue leakage issue is happen to many model s owners and the service is FREE service, but after I scheduled the service with service center they asked me to pay the cost, I wonder why Tesla didn’t recall 2015 model S for the screen glue leakage issue? how should I do for the next step? Thanks!

Hi, I got the same problem with my 2015 model s , Actually on Dec. 6, the mobile service guy came to my garage to service for my battery issue and he told me the screen glue leakage issue is happen to many model s owners and the service is FREE service, but after I scheduled the service with service center they asked me to pay the cost, I wonder why Tesla didn’t recall 2015 model S for the screen glue leakage issue? how should I do for the next step? Thanks!
Mobile would tell you the service is free because they cannot replace this.
I mean you no offense but it’s a bit astounding that people feel like it should be recalled after 7 years of being used daily. If something happened on your PC after 7 years would you feel the same way? No because it’s seven years old. The MCU is just that. A computer. An old one at that.
Pay the $750 for them to replace the glue and continue in with the mcu1 which is very very slow…(I know from experience) or pay $1500 and get the mcu2 which is hands down worth the $

$100 for fairly good quality used part if can find someone to do not too challenging DIY (similar to car stereo/headunit installation level difficulty) for you

Howards Model S - Problem Areas (google.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: iamthewaughrus
$100 for fairly good quality used part if can find someone to do not too challenging DIY (similar to car stereo/headunit installation level difficulty) for you

Howards Model S - Problem Areas (google.com)
But it’s $100 wasted dollars on a dying mcu1. Your call man. But the way of the mcu’s. The goo starts to leak. And within 6 months black screen. You can still sort of drive the car. But really only in a limp state to get home.

But it’s $100 wasted dollars on a dying mcu1. Your call man. But the way of the mcu’s. The goo starts to leak. And within 6 months black screen. You can still sort of drive the car. But really only in a limp state to get home.

Fair point on leak potential especially with poster in hotter San Diego climate. Seems very climate/parking dependent. My first one had no problem for 7+ years parking indoors at home/work in milder PNW climate until Tesla SC left the car in parking lot during summer for 3 days on black screen worn eMMC issue (denied free repair prior to the NHTSA forced recall AND said was not responsible for the new bubbles on screen. The irony haha).

Seems black screen has been resolved by the eMMC recall. Perhaps can fail again but probably will last quite awhile.

Of course MCU2 is better. I think price is ~$2k+ now? just noting a much cheaper option if can DIY and the car isn't constantly baking in the sun. But if has to pay Tesla for $1k MCU1 screen install in San Diego climate, probably not worth it.

Last edited:
My 2015 model S90D is leaking a clear fluid under the touchscreen. It is very sticky Iand ruined my hat which was underneath. The touchscreen seems ok.
I went to the service center, and was old it is a common problem... but they refused to give me any details on options to fix it - said I needed a service appointment.
I read some threads about this problem and found out that it has not been resolved, and many owners are angry that it is not a warranty item. It seems that Tesla used the wrong glue with too low a temperature rating. I do not have air bubbles in my display, but I'm worried about what will happen.
I have this same problem and Tesla said $1,800 to replace the screens. Instead I bought a $9 tube of silicon for electronics on Amazon, piped some into a plastic syringe, and sealed underneath where the touchscreen is mounted. It’s only been a couple of days, but no more leaking and the bubbles are starting to dissipate. I’ll keep a check on it and let you all know if it holds up, but it’s definitely doing the trick for now!

I fix this problem myself when I decided I didn’t want to spend $1800 on what Tesla prefers to as a cosmetic issue. I purchased a nine dollar tube of clear silicone meant for electronics on Amazon and I sealed right underneath the touchscreen where the touchscreen meets the bezel, the tip on the tube was a little bit too big, so I used a plastic syringe, filled it with the silicone gel, and then piped the gel into the crack. No more leaks no more goop in the bubbles seem to be dissipating.

Reactions: Anthony R.
I fix this problem myself when I decided I didn’t want to spend $1800 on what Tesla prefers to as a cosmetic issue. I purchased a nine dollar tube of clear silicone meant for electronics on Amazon and I sealed right underneath the touchscreen where the touchscreen meets the bezel, the tip on the tube was a little bit too big, so I used a plastic syringe, filled it with the silicone gel, and then piped the gel into the crack. No more leaks no more goop in the bubbles seem to be dissipating.
I was parked in the sun two days ago and my screen leaked a little. How is you fix holding up?

I was parked in the sun two days ago and my screen leaked a little. How is you fix holding up?

I did epoxy after sucking out the bubbles with fine tip syringe needle. didn't hold up too long. Its a complex surface the goo oozes out of (around the square touch glass AND 4x touch screen electrode flex cables) Here is a link, look at all the posts with pics will give a sense how its constructed and why holding back leak is probably not possible. Would need to seal all the way around the goo gap AND above/below the 4x flex cable. A lot of different materials types and probably not much clean bonding surface available

I'm in Redmond and have my old touch screen if you want to drive down and see how its built and how it leaks.