TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Model S Leasing?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Michael, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Member

Aug 25, 2006
    In Elon's latest email he alludes to a Leasing option. Does anyone have any details like when this might be available?
  2. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    My guess is that it would be the second year of production. In order to price a lease, they need to have some idea of residual value. That will be extremely difficult to establish for the Model S during the first year.

It took Toyota until 2006 to actually do a lease for the Prius. Nobody was willing to establish residual values because they were unsure about the replacement costs of the NiMH batteries or if they would last.

I think the big change for the Model S will be the ability to finance them via a conventional auto loan. That is not available on the Roadster.

Also, Tesla Motors is leaving a lot of money on the table by not financing. From my knowledge, there is easily $1,000 per vehicle for a dealer selling a car with bank auto financing. The dealer gets paid to originate that auto loan/lease for the bank.