Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Lemon (NY Lemon Laws)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my Model S came with a creaking interior headliner. I've had it fixed for 5 times now and it keeps coming back and getting worse. Tesla had the car for over 3 weeks over that time. One session took over a week once and the rest were a few days each.
So far my car just completed a year and 10k miles and I am thinking of using NY Lemon law to get it replaced because there seems to be no permanent fix.
According to the BBB NY, lemon laws cover up to 2 years and 18k miles (12k miles fully covered and they can take some cash for the other 6k miles). By doing this I am giving up free supercharging for life but I can score a better and longer range Model 3.
I have an appointment Jan 4 I am going to have to see where that leads.

I hope you realize that Model 3 does not cover knocks, creaks, rattles, wind noise, road noise...
Jeez should I wait for the Y then? I love the car and I hate the issues. I expected an electric car with fewer part would have less issues but I was wrong. I have a Nissan Rogue as a second vehicle and over 5 years 0 service issue just an oil change every year and I replaced the brakes once.

Last edited:
Chad, Not sure where the noise is coming from in your car but on mine it started after I had the windshield replaced. I figured out that the headliner was rubbing on the glass. I placed a drivers license between the headliner just to check if it was touching. I ran it back and forth a few times and the sound went away. It came back about a week later and then I put a small amount of silicone lubricate on the ID and ran it back and forth and it's been quite for the past 4 months.

Reactions: Chadkn1ght
Chad, Not sure where the noise is coming from in your car but on mine it started after I had the windshield replaced. I figured out that the headliner was rubbing on the glass. I placed a drivers license between the headliner just to check if it was touching. I ran it back and forth a few times and the sound went away. It came back about a week later and then I put a small amount of silicone lubricate on the ID and ran it back and forth and it's been quite for the past 4 months.

I was thinking about using silicone and some type of foam spray and redo the headliner myself if it comes back after this visit I may go that route. It might make it harder to service any part in the headliner though.
Also thinking of adding some silicone around the windshield to reduce wind noise by filling in the gaps it will reduce friction. But I don't want to make the car too difficult to service.

Sorry you’re having a bad experience with your S.

I watched most of your video. It sounds like you’re having buyer’s remorse and are looking for the most economical way to trade down to a 3.
I don't consider it trade down if I get the performance 3. It will cost probably 10k less (my s was 85k) but I love the improvements made on the 3. The windshield washer has a major advantage mounted on the blade. My S sprays all over the place even blasting the guy behind me. Sure its a smaller car but its easier to park in the city streets.
It's the little things that bug me. I'm not looking to save any cash on this just want a nice quiet car. I didn't cheap out. I got the premium interior and AP.
In the long run, these cars are the safest and I am not getting anything other than a Tesla as my next car. I'll probably get an X or Y in a few years for the family car.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
So my Model S came with a creaking interior headliner. I've had it fixed for 5 times now and it keeps coming back and getting worse. Tesla had the car for over 3 weeks over that time. One session took over a week once and the rest were a few days each.
So far my car just completed a year and 10k miles and I am thinking of using NY Lemon law to get it replaced because there seems to be no permanent fix.
According to the BBB NY, lemon laws cover up to 2 years and 18k miles (12k miles fully covered and they can take some cash for the other 6k miles). By doing this I am giving up free supercharging for life but I can score a better and longer range Model 3.
I have an appointment Jan 4 I am going to have to see where that leads.

Do you Supercharge enough to make it worth worrying with?

Update: I took it in to get my windshield replaced. A rock was kicked up by a truck on the highway and I had to pay the piper. (Speed was obviously not a factor *wink*)
From there they said they would address my creaking issues and speaker issued (I either blew one out or the grill became less snug from the vibrations). It's been almost a week at the service center and they told me they had ordered a trim piece. With the windshield replacement wind noise and the other creaking and rattles would change and hopefully mitigated.

Overall I am optimistic that it will be much improved.
I gotta say though, the P85 (rear wheel drive) loaner is a beast and drives smoother than my Dual motor. Maybe the cars need a good breaking in. Its in the vin 11000 and probably a 2012/13 model but it still got great range and drives amazing even though it has no auto pilot and sensors.

We had an issue with a rubbing sound in our M3. Four times to the service center. the last time they kept it for a couple weeks. They wre warning and dreading the thought that they would have to replace the steering column., which would require them to remove the dash. Well they forgot to call us back and the car just sat there. Once they remember to call us we got it back and the noise has stopped. It's been a month and it has not returned. only thing the car has been in the shop for.

They did not replace the column, but did a modification to hold the wiring or other offensive piece away from the column. I think they had several conversations with Tesla on "how can we fix this one?"

Hopefully they will make your noise go away.