Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Long Range Plus - 390 miles (Model X upgraded, too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Long Range is now Long Range Plus with 390 mile range, new base wheels and wireless charging in center console. Good to see the improvements keep coming. Interested in whether the extra range is from new battery technology, motors, software or a combination of all three.

7958B428-0B91-46B0-A2E4-F2C8B47AD155.png

Indeed. Long Range is now Long Range Plus with 390 mile range, new base wheels and wireless charging in center console. Good to see the improvements keep coming. Interested in whether the extra range is from new battery technology, motors, software or a combination of all three.

View attachment 511305
Neither, just the wheels and a more lax EPA test.
Tesla/Elon would have said something if there was a different battery technology or a more efficient motor going into the car.

Here is a relevant article: https://electrek.co/2019/09/23/tesla-aero-wheels-leak-update/

In a post last year, Robert Palin, who has held many positions in Tesla’s aerodynamics team since 2009, explained how important the wheels were to the Model 3’s design:

“I was the head of aero at Tesla for MS, MX, and M3, and I can confirm that wheel design & size can be the biggest influence of all on the aero efficiency of a road car. The aero, design, and chassis teams put a huge amount of effort into these wheels, and they do really work!”

A Tesla VP of Engineering also previously said that Tesla Model 3’s aero wheels can increase efficiency by ~10% versus the bigger non-aero 19″ wheels.

Some more recent real-world testing showed that Tesla’s aero wheels improve range by 3% at high speed with the aero caps on versus off.

If these new wheels are 3% better for range that would explain 11-12 more miles of range. But I am guessing Tesla cheaped out and the wheel on the other side of the car is backwards; that is the exact same wheel as seen above on the left side of the car.

At least Porsche trusts their Taycan customers to not be idiots and they have maximized the aero effect by having different wheels on either side of their car to maximize aero effects.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
The website doesn’t show a difference in range when selecting between the new wheels and the slipstreams.

I guess now we wait for someone to take delivery of the “long range plus” and do a real world test of the actual range.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbailey
Neither, just the wheels and a more lax EPA test.
Tesla/Elon would have said something if there was a different battery technology or a more efficient motor going into the car.

To be fair, at the last investor's call, Musk have mentioned that improvements were already incorporated to boost range.

Even with the potential for changes, though, I'm as skeptical as you. Tesla's stated range and actual range seem to be diverging to a greater degree with recent updates.

To be fair, at the last investor's call, Musk have mentioned that improvements were already incorporated to boost range.

If I understood him right, he said that the unofficial range was about 380. So this only represents another 10 over that, and it could easily be accounted by the new wheels.

I have an order in process, so I am a bit interested in what I’ll actually receive. (Not that I’ll sweat over it much either way.)

When you look at data such as

www.teslike.com/range

any change under 15% could easily be either tweaking interpretation of test data or just 'noise'.

One thing I've noticed reading posts here is that while some owners probably add 10% or more to their range by driving carefully, getting most efficient tier / wheel combo etc, others go almost the opposite. But it is often the same owners that pay top whack for the highest range model then slap on big wheels.

Also, pushing to get the very maximum range without concern for how hard you push the battery is short sighted and somewhat self contradictory. Not only does it reduce battery performance sooner (just like 'what's the point of claiming Supercharging max rates if they only apply to a small percentage of your charge time?' You could easily make 20% negative impact on overall efficiency and range while also working the battery needlessly hard. Under non-optimal conditions of real use, 10% doesnt amount to much.