Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Long Range worth 100k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Already have an order in for an LR with a long wait😭 Just wanted to get some opinions and shared insights on the Model S Refresh cost vs other Tesla models and/or competing brands. This is not about affordability but rather wanting to get other's thoughts on whether or not this vehicle is worth the price tag (bang for the buck) albeit subjective.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

Already have an order in for an LR with a long wait😭 Just wanted to get some opinions and shared insights on the Model S Refresh cost vs other Tesla models and/or competing brands. This is not about affordability but rather wanting to get other's thoughts on whether or not this vehicle is worth the price tag (bang for the buck) albeit subjective.

Thanks in advance!

I had a MS on reserve from the refresh announcement until Sep of 2021. The date kept getting pushed back, and It couldnt deal with it anymore seeing I needed to trade my 21 Model 3 in or lose tons on it waiting for who knows when for the S to arrive. Ended up with a Model Y Performance, which is amazing.

Yesterday, I ran into a 21 Model S LR with 12k on it, FSD, and 7k ultralight HRE rims on it. They are asking 104k. Its in mint condition, white on black. They offered so much for my Model Y Performance, its a no-brainer to take this S.

So, TD;LR... in my case. 100& its worth 100k. This market is nuts, but its here to stay I believe.

Reactions: Jolee777
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
Yes, definitely “worth” it relative to other EVs in this range. I’m on my 3rd Model S since 2013 and each has cost about the same. But the new LR has incredible range, performance and features. At 3 seconds 0-60 there’s not many cars on the road that can keep up at any price. And the constant acceleration from 30-100+ is amazing. But IMO the technology, modern interior and new features really set it apart. Tesla’s mobile app and real-time firmware updates are still way ahead of Audi, etc.

I also love the body style, hatchback and interior storage.

There is the yoke of course, which is actually fun with exception of annoying turn signals and horn.

Wow thanks for the insightful replies. I guess I need to get over the six figure cost and start focusing on the features the S brings compared to a MP3 for example, which BTW.... is about 39k less and no small amount! However I need to get what I truly want in order for me to not have any regrets in the future. Such as settling for the MP3, sitting at a stoplight only to see the Model S next me lol.

If you look at pure value based on features, it's probably not worth it when comparing with lower cost vehicles. BUT that is the name of the game with higher margin luxury vehicles. I would also argue the Mercedes S class is not worth it when can you can get a feature rich C or E class. Part of it is buying into a more exclusive club where you won't see these vehicles as commonly compared to those at
lower price points.

Well you said it wasn’t about affordability 🙂 Bang for the buck is much higher with M3P but it’s a completely different, smaller car without various enhancements like double pane glass, instrument / rear screens, cooling seats, 22 speakers, rear seat armrest/wireless charging, etc.

Well you said it wasn’t about affordability 🙂 Bang for the buck is much higher with M3P but it’s a completely different, smaller car without various enhancements like double pane glass, instrument / rear screens, cooling seats, 22 speakers, rear seat armrest/wireless charging, etc.
True you're right with regards to affordability. 😉 But I do believe the new MP3 has double paned windows, power lift gate, heated seats and steering wheel.

Time spent in a supercharger is cut way down. I had a 2017 MS 75 before and there's no comparison. And I can get to some places I just couldn't reach before.

The internet browser actually works too. Seats are much more comfy. Stereo is great. One pedal driving.

Plus the slight body design changes really look alot better than my old MS. Although it was a great car, and I really thought about just keeping it and cancelling the order, I'm glad I made the switch. My wife loves the new MS too.

I love my 2022 MS LR. It is my first EV.

Worth is certainly subjective. You could get most of the same features for substantially less in a M3 that you might be just as happy with. For me, the difference in price was worth it as I wanted a slightly more premium experience, and nothing else of higher priority to allocate that money to.