TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S "Long"

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Olle, Mar 21, 2017.

?

Would you like a Model S Long?

1. Yes, with executive seats

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Yes, long with foldable seats

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No, I would buy an X is I need more space

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Olle

Olle Member

I know this was discussed here in 2013 but the market has changed so much since then.

2. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Since it hasn't been discussed since 2013, can you explain what it is? Presumably you are talking about a Model S with a longer wheelbase?

3. Olle

Olle Member

Yes, longer wheelbase is what I meant. Equivalent to the long versions of 7 series, S Class and A8. I China this is supposedly extra important.

4. Olle

Olle Member

If Tesla builds a factory in China, a long version should be a no brainer. Audi even makes long A4 2017 Audi A4L Debuts for China: Extra Inches Included in-china.
    Until then, there may be bigger fish to fry. Obviously Model 3, but then also Model Y and trucks. Or what do you all think?

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Hmm does that mean a longer battery, too?

6. Olle

Olle Member

Ha-ha, yes this is one of the first things that come to mind. In all seriousness though this sounds unlikely. A real long shot would be if Tesla at the same time happens to make some longer wheelbase pickup or delivery trucks that need more energy than the S/X form factor pack can muster and therefore gets a longer pack. Then maybe these cars could get that too.

7. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

I had a Lexus LS460L ... the legroom in the back was pretty awesome.

• Like x 1
  8. Olle

Olle Member

We went 5 people on a trip to St Augustine in the S last weekend. The rear legroom seemed a bit cramped after a while. Other than that it is a really comfortable road trip car. A long version seems like a good idea based on that.

9. somnambule

somnambule Member

I have a hard time envisioning an L on the current platform, given the current S will probably be redesigned within 3-4 years at most. If we see an L, it will probably be on the next platform.

An L would also mess up the aesthetics of the S. It's one thing to add a few inches in the middle to a 3-box sedan like a 7 or LS but a whole 'nother thing with a swoopy, elegant design like the Model S.

10. Olle

Olle Member

11. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

People tend to forget that the Model S has more cargo space than the a Model X with the exception possibly of the 5 seat version Model X.

• Like x 1