Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S losing charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here. Charged my car and drive to work. I got out of the car and it had 203 miles on it. Checked it at lunch still 203 miles and after work went down to drive home and got in the car and now it has 199 miles. I lost 4 miles in eight hours. I was fine. I still had 199 miles but I’m just wondering if this is normal so I can factor it into my charging plans. TIA.

New owner here. Charged my car and drive to work. I got out of the car and it had 203 miles on it. Checked it at lunch still 203 miles and after work went down to drive home and got in the car and now it has 199 miles. I lost 4 miles in eight hours. I was fine. I still had 199 miles but I’m just wondering if this is normal so I can factor it into my charging plans. TIA.

In short, yes, it's normal.

Some features will accelerate that battery drain when parked - most notably Sentry mode, Summon Standby and cabin overhead protection if your car has those features.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: VikH and byeLT4
Losing a few miles here and there is normal. It can be as simple as the pack cooling (although when the pack warms up I never seem to get the miles back LOL) or certain features like ucmndd stated. As a relatively new owner (less than a year) I also will note checking on the car constantly will cause more drain as well. Congrats on the car and welcome!!

New owner here. [...] Checked it at lunch
Uh huh. New owner constantly checking on the car with the app. When you check on it with the app that does wake it up out of a sort of low power sleeping mode, and if you keep doing that a lot, that is going to raise that idle energy usage level. Plus things like sentry mode, summon standby mode are constant users of energy. And remember that the number you see is not just driving range. That one battery has to be the source for all of the energy consumption from all sources in the car.

Reactions: Boeingpilot