Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Low Coolant! What type of coolant does an MS take?

Pandalus

Dec 1, 2015
St. John's, NL
I got the infamous Vehicle Coolant is Low error message (code THC_w0105). This code comes and goes - when I get in the car, the error message is there, but driving just down the street causes it to disappear. It seems to primarily appear when parked.

I opened up the frunk and had a look and it seems like the coolant level is at the MIN line. Perhaps there's an extremely slow leak.

I am nowhere near a service centre and it takes weeks to months to arrange a ranger visit. But here's the tricky part - in another thread I mentioned I'm about to move to a city that DOES have a service centre. So I can book an appointment when I get there. But in the meantime, is the car safe to drive at all?

I'd like to top it up but I can't find official guidance on what type of coolant to buy. I've seen people suggest G48 coolant: Would this stuff do? https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/VAU875390 (It's in stock locally)

Alysashley79

Oct 4, 2013
Seattle(ish) WA
I got the infamous Vehicle Coolant is Low error message (code THC_w0105). This code comes and goes - when I get in the car, the error message is there, but driving just down the street causes it to disappear. It seems to primarily appear when parked.

I opened up the frunk and had a look and it seems like the coolant level is at the MIN line. Perhaps there's an extremely slow leak.

I am nowhere near a service centre and it takes weeks to months to arrange a ranger visit. But here's the tricky part - in another thread I mentioned I'm about to move to a city that DOES have a service centre. So I can book an appointment when I get there. But in the meantime, is the car safe to drive at all?

I'd like to top it up but I can't find official guidance on what type of coolant to buy. I've seen people suggest G48 coolant: Would this stuff do? https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/VAU875390 (It's in stock locally)
I don’t know the answer but why not call the parts center at your local service center. I’d probably also try to schedule a mobile tech in the mean time.

jeremymc7

Feb 3, 2013
U.S.

Attachments

• 712f7c81161cd79454c59231ccd541b6.jpg
    712f7c81161cd79454c59231ccd541b6.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

ShawnA

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2017
Edwardsburg, MI
Hi Pandalus,

The coolant you suggest is correct.
See the attached pictures.
HOWEVER there is no "Normal" circumstance which
causes or shows a Coolant Low message.

The Tesla people I have encountered are very uncomfortable with
customers adding coolant.
If you contaminate the coolant battery system you are looking at a
repair bill beyond your worst nightmares and risk voiding the battery
warranty...
If you are comfortable with these risks - proceed with caution.

Be sure to schedule service at your new location as something is WRONG.
Antifreeze Coolant.jpg

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D

tpoltron

May 12, 2013
Cupertino, CA
I had a slow coolant leak for a year on our 2014 Model S. Had to top it up every 3 months or so with some G48 coolant from the local auto shop. After reading up on other posts here, I pulled the frunk liner and it looked wet below the 4 way valve that directs coolant. My local service center ran a pressure test, confirmed the leak and replaced the valve for around $300. Pretty common problem with a cheap easy fix as far as I can see.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC