Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Low Coolant! What type of coolant does an MS take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the infamous Vehicle Coolant is Low error message (code THC_w0105). This code comes and goes - when I get in the car, the error message is there, but driving just down the street causes it to disappear. It seems to primarily appear when parked.

I opened up the frunk and had a look and it seems like the coolant level is at the MIN line. Perhaps there's an extremely slow leak.

I am nowhere near a service centre and it takes weeks to months to arrange a ranger visit. But here's the tricky part - in another thread I mentioned I'm about to move to a city that DOES have a service centre. So I can book an appointment when I get there. But in the meantime, is the car safe to drive at all?

I'd like to top it up but I can't find official guidance on what type of coolant to buy. I've seen people suggest G48 coolant: Would this stuff do? https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/VAU875390 (It's in stock locally)

I got the infamous Vehicle Coolant is Low error message (code THC_w0105). This code comes and goes - when I get in the car, the error message is there, but driving just down the street causes it to disappear. It seems to primarily appear when parked.

I opened up the frunk and had a look and it seems like the coolant level is at the MIN line. Perhaps there's an extremely slow leak.

I am nowhere near a service centre and it takes weeks to months to arrange a ranger visit. But here's the tricky part - in another thread I mentioned I'm about to move to a city that DOES have a service centre. So I can book an appointment when I get there. But in the meantime, is the car safe to drive at all?

I'd like to top it up but I can't find official guidance on what type of coolant to buy. I've seen people suggest G48 coolant: Would this stuff do? https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/VAU875390 (It's in stock locally)
I don’t know the answer but why not call the parts center at your local service center. I’d probably also try to schedule a mobile tech in the mean time.

Attachments

• 712f7c81161cd79454c59231ccd541b6.jpg
    712f7c81161cd79454c59231ccd541b6.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3,228
Last edited:
Hi Pandalus,

The coolant you suggest is correct.
See the attached pictures.
HOWEVER there is no "Normal" circumstance which
causes or shows a Coolant Low message.

The Tesla people I have encountered are very uncomfortable with
customers adding coolant.
If you contaminate the coolant battery system you are looking at a
repair bill beyond your worst nightmares and risk voiding the battery
warranty...
If you are comfortable with these risks - proceed with caution.

Be sure to schedule service at your new location as something is WRONG.
Antifreeze Coolant.jpg

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I had a slow coolant leak for a year on our 2014 Model S. Had to top it up every 3 months or so with some G48 coolant from the local auto shop. After reading up on other posts here, I pulled the frunk liner and it looked wet below the 4 way valve that directs coolant. My local service center ran a pressure test, confirmed the leak and replaced the valve for around $300. Pretty common problem with a cheap easy fix as far as I can see.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D