Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR 19" Tire Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those wanting to go 19" square for the 2021 Model S LR refresh here is what I have on come up with.

Picked up the Tesla BT TPMS sensors At Tesla

Using stock front size all around 255/45 19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (same stock size as Model Y)

Using these spacers in the rear to adjust tire so it is close to where the stock tire sits at towards the exterior of the wheel well.

RTX Spider wheels. (# 082737) Spider - Gloss Black

Have everything on order, hopefully no fitment issues. Will get back to all when I eventually take delivery of the S
Thank you for this information.. Its been a struggle trying to figure out what rims/tires to buy with sizes. Was told to go 255/40/20 on 20x9" wheels all round, but that just doesnt make sense to me because if the rears are wider, how can it not sit tucked in.

Couple of things:
1. Get nervous on spacers on ebay - are these good quality spacers?
2. The width of the rim you are suggesting might be too narrow for a 255 width tire. I think you need at least a 9" as 255 is the max on a 255.
3. RTX wheels are quite heavy arent they?

Rim width not an issue as a 255/45 19 will fit on 8-9.5" width no problem. 19x8.5 on 255/45 R19 Tire Size
My Model Y has the same 255/45 19 Nokians mounter to the same wheels, no issue at all. In fact they look great.

Here is a picture of the wheels and tires on my Model Y.

Not concerned the least about the spacers I pointed to.

I have the same RTX OE spider wheels on my Model Y although not the same bolt pattern as the Y is different.
Ran them all last winter no issues. For a little over $300 CDN a pop, winter approved, forged wheels you will have a hard time finding a better deal IMHO.

As for weight, not sure but when I get them next week I will put one on a scale. Even so, a pound or so is not going to make much of a difference. I would be more concerned with a very light wheel due to reduced strength. These wheels are designed for Tesla and due to the power and weight of the car this is rather important.

The only fitment issue possible is the wheel nut pocket on the RTX wheels, hopefully they are deep enough but is sure looks like they will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: minirx7
Rim width not an issue as a 255/45 19 will fit on 8-9.5" width no problem. 19x8.5 on 255/45 R19 Tire Size
My Model Y has the same 255/45 19 Nokians mounter to the same wheels, no issue at all. In fact they look great.

Here is a picture of the wheels and tires on my Model Y.

Not concerned the least about the spacers I pointed to.

I have the same RTX OE spider wheels on my Model Y although not the same bolt pattern as the Y is different.
Ran them all last winter no issues. For a little over $300 CDN a pop, winter approved, forged wheels you will have a hard time finding a better deal IMHO.

As for weight, not sure but when I get them next week I will put one on a scale. Even so, a pound or so is not going to make much of a difference. I would be more concerned with a very light wheel due to reduced strength. These wheels are designed for Tesla and due to the power and weight of the car this is rather important.

The only fitment issue possible is the wheel nut pocket on the RTX wheels, hopefully they are deep enough but is sure looks like they will work.
Have you received your Model S yet? I been a always running RTX wheels on all my past cars (G37coupe, IS-F, QX60, 16 Odyessy, 18 Odyessy), and never had a problem. However i think several said that the 8.5" may not clear due to the barrel size.. Not sure, but i am leaning on tryign to find a 19x9 or 19x9.5 wheel on 255/45/19 tires. I know the factory size is 255/45/19 on 9.5" so for sure that will fit.

I have contacted almost 5 different tireshops and they keep trying to sell me 245/45/19 on R241 replica wheels that are 19x8.5" rims. TO be honest if that actually fit, i would just buy those RIGHT AWAY!

From what I have seen and during my search, this is the factory front size from the S prior to refresh. They did change tire size with the refresh to 255/45 19
So i am still conflicted. I was about to buy new 20x9 rims on 255/40/20 tires, but it is much more expensive than just going with the older size from the older model S at 245/45/19 on 19x.8.5. The issue as well for a lot of 19" rims is that the load limit does not meet the GAWR for the rear of 3196lb (divided by two which is 1,598lb required for 19" wheels.

Interestingly the Replicka 241 (the first recommend rims) at 19x8.5 35 mm offset has load limit much more than that. And also with this offset, you get the following impact (assuming your OE size is front 9.5/40mm offset and rear of 10.5/45mm offset).

Front: Inner size of 18mm more room, but tuck in of 8mm from the fender
Rear: Inner size of 35mm more room, but tuck in of 15mm from the fender

Interestingly everyone recommends 9"wide by 40mm, but that ends up tucking in by 14mm so its no different than the 8.5" wide.

So why cant we just use 19" x 8.5 with 35mm offset on 245/45/19?

1635217514114.png

For those wanting to go 19" square for the 2021 Model S LR refresh here is what I have on come up with.

Using stock front size all around 255/45 19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (same stock size as Model Y)

Using these spacers in the rear to adjust tire so it is close to where the stock tire sits at towards the exterior of the wheel well.

Have everything on order, hopefully no fitment issues. Will get back to all when I eventually take delivery of the S
It looks like your rims may not clear the break shield.

Tesla: 19 x 9.5
Your link: 19 x 8.5

More info on the clearance issue: Winter tires for the Model S Plaid ?

The tires look good though. Stock load rating is 104/107 front/rear and your tires are 116 all around.

Last edited:
Hi, how did you order the new TPMS from Tesla? I pickup my car on Saturday and I’m going to use my Arachnids that I received in 2018 from the referral program. They said they would work/fit the new MSLR but I would need new TPMS.
You’ll need spacers, otherwise you’ll have a 1” inset gap between fender and wheel. The arachnids are skinny compared to stock rears.

UPDATE!!

Picked up my Model S LR yesterday. :cool:

Went straight to my garage to install the winter wheels. Was snowing and the roads were a mess so please excuse the dirty photos. :rolleyes: Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

They delivered the car to Montreal Canada with P Zero high performance summer tires believe it or not. Personally I prefer this as I always use dedicated winters.

Everything fit like a glove, no issues at all, plenty of clearance every where. I initially purchased 20mm spacers for the rear however the tires did stick out to far by about 10mm so I elected to use none at the end of the day. The rear wheel is about 10mm inward on the car compared to stock however not really noticeable IMHO

Here is what was used for my "square" winter wheel/tire setup

Using stock front size all around 255/45 19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV
Center Caps, Why 20?, needed 4 for the Y also so I used 8 already and good to have spares. Centre Caps
Gorilla "The System" Black lug nuts Lug Nuts

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I have a similar question. Since the 255/45/19s worked, would 245/45/19s also be fine all around? I have a set of Rial Lugano with michelin x-ice that I used for my P85D that I am wondering if it will work all around on my 2022 Model S.