Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR 2021 review from a long-time Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrote this in another thread but thought I would post here as well. I took delivery 9/27 on a LR with 19" rims. My thoughts coming from a 2018 Model S 75D. Summary, I LOVE IT!

Exterior
  1. Changes are subtle but noticeable for Tesla fans.
  2. I like the black trim, gives it a much sportier look.
  3. Same for the extra width in fenders and tires, sportier, meaner looking!
  4. Didn't plan on liking the 19" rims w/aeros but actually do. The rims look smaller though if you remove the covers.
  5. Quality was good, no major paint or panel gap issues.
Interior
  1. Yoke, do like the extra visibility and not having to take your hand off the wheel for turns signals is actually nice. Not sure how wife will like it.
  2. Interior design, thumbs up! Feels more modern. Friend commented it is now more competitive with Taycan on that front.
  3. Software/UI, higher learning curve due to the flexibility and windowing UI.
  4. Screens, all great though I feel the backup cam is a little grainy in full screen even in daylight. Anyone else notice this?
  5. Seats are very comfortable. Did have some "wrinkles/folds" in rear that they will replace
  6. Missing the cargo floor panels like others, said it was due to backorder.
  7. Stereo is awesome! No distortion, clear highs and incredible bass if you want it.
Driving
  1. Smoother and quieter than prev 75D for sure. Adds to the enjoyment.
  2. Holy SH*T it is fast! I knew the specs on paper but was still blown away! It throws you back in the seat no matter how fast you are going. I took a Tesla owner for a ride and floored it at 50 and hit 90 so fast, we were both blown away! His quote was "Holy crap what a car that is!!"! This is a HUGE upgrade and makes me smile every time I do it. I can't imagine the Plaid acceleration.
  3. Really, it feels so fast. a Porsche owner drove and was blown away by how fast it is and couldn't imagine wanting anything faster.
  4. No seriously, the improvement in mid-range power delivery is incredible. The car feels like it is lifting off the ground at 50mph when you punch it.
  5. Yoke + Drive Selector, not really an issue except complicated maneuvers like 3 point turns etc.
[EDITS BELOW]
A few other notes:
1. Charging on the same Tesla wall charger as before is 25% faster (42 miles/hour vs 34 on 75D)
2. Was unable to secure any freebies (winter mats, 14-50 adapter) from Tesla. In 2018 I got free mats at least :)
3. At home delivery was really nice. I thought I would miss the experience of going to the dealer and seeing it but did not.
4. When turning, light is projected in the turn direction. Didn't know this was a feature and my old car didn't have it. Anyone know if these are adaptive headlights or is it just an additional LED they turn on?

I have a question, I just turned in my December 2017 MS but kept my 21” Arachnids. I should be getting my new LR this week and my SA said the wheels will work on the refresh model, but that I may need to replace TPMS? Does that make sense?

I had the wheels originally powder coated gun metal grey, but after 3 year and curb rash they need to be redone. So I was going with Satin Black, before getting them done want to make sure they will fit?

Has anyone used the old 21” Arachnid on the refresh Model S?

thanks

I have a question, I just turned in my December 2017 MS but kept my 21” Arachnids. I should be getting my new LR this week and my SA said the wheels will work on the refresh model, but that I may need to replace TPMS? Does that make sense?

I had the wheels originally powder coated gun metal grey, but after 3 year and curb rash they need to be redone. So I was going with Satin Black, before getting them done want to make sure they will fit?

Has anyone used the old 21” Arachnid on the refresh Model S?

thanks
go to TEsla's website and check the wheel specs on old arachnid that you have compared to new. Off hand I seem to recall the new arachnids sit out further. Doesnt mean the old arachnids wont fit, just wont be the same fitMENT.

Reactions: MEL-22
2102guy, thanks I think they are different, but he said that the old ones work. But why would I need new TPMS?

Here is the specs for both, I just do understand the difference and what it actually means.

Attachments

• E9DD0D39-867C-4007-A95B-A09B5E8D0CB8.jpeg
    E9DD0D39-867C-4007-A95B-A09B5E8D0CB8.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DD225229-CB4F-4484-9503-45137D726ABB.jpeg
    DD225229-CB4F-4484-9503-45137D726ABB.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 66
2102guy, thanks I think they are different, but he said that the old ones work. But why would I need new TPMS?

Here is the specs for both, I just do understand the difference and what it actually means.

The wheels will probably “fit”( meaning bolt onto the hubs properly) but given the much wider fender flares and the wider wheels on the ‘21, neither set is likely to look right if used on the other year.
The ‘21’s wheels would likely stick out beyond the fenders if mounted on an ‘18, while the ‘18’s wheels would likely looked “tucked” (outside tire/wheel edge well inside the fenders) on a ‘21.

Reactions: Kesla