Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR 2021 review from a long-time Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. So, couple thoughts. 1. In settings, you know you have to indicate it to not be continuous hold to operate from your fob. Yeah? 2. I DID notice (for a period of time) that IF you have a “fob” with a 3 or Y (that dont come with FOB’s as default and use only key card and phone generally, that our Summon worked…then..didn’t for some weeks..then…DID again. At the time I had talked to a Mobile Service guy that had been out at the house for an unrelated and he shared (at that time) it was a “known thing.” Anyway…more recently, that resolved itself and I found (on both those cars)…if I simply held down (one push and holding steady) that it would invoke Summon’s start and the hazard lights would come on and I could them move to clicking the forward or reverse direction and it would actually take.

Ok so I am 6’4” 260. I’m a big dude. I’ve found my previous gen seats a bit uncomfortable because of the placement of certain curves. The 3 has more comfortable seats to me. How do these rank?
I'd rank the front seats in the 2021 refresh as great and very similar to the Model S Raven seats, although I'll admit I prefer the cushiness of the Model 3 seats. But the seat ventilation is much improved from before, and I'll take that over more cushiness any day of the week.

Thank you so much for your detailed comparison! I have a ‘17 S 75D w sunroof, unlimited supercharging and data, so I know what you mean about sacrificing that. I haven’t ordered because of fear of the build quality. Thank you for addressing that. I would like to see the range at 400 + also. Teala might have some competition from Lucid Air because of build quality and range. BTW what part of NC are you from?

Reactions: petredge
Thank you so much for your detailed comparison! I have a ‘17 S 75D w sunroof, unlimited supercharging and data, so I know what you mean about sacrificing that. I haven’t ordered because of fear of the build quality. Thank you for addressing that. I would like to see the range at 400 + also. Teala might have some competition from Lucid Air because of build quality and range. BTW what part of NC are you from?
Raleigh area. As for Lucid, still for them and Rivian to actually ship something.

An update: my Plaid order is arriving in a few days, and I will provide additional data points to my original review in the coming week or two.

My LR order was pushed back to February, and I will use the extra time to decide whether to flip the Plaid or cancel the LR.

Reactions: KyleDay
Gotta say, the wheel choice is agonizing. People are saying the 21" wheels are great, and I completely agree they're way better looking. The range loss is not a deal-breaker, but a big difference in ride comfort and tire noise would be -- especially because my back isn't what it used to be, and I'll be driving 2-3 hours a day.

As long as the MS LR w/21" is substantially smoother and more comfy than a M3 AWD, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and change my order...

Wish we had more 19" vs 21" ride quality and noise comparisons. Forget the damn 0-60 launches. :)

Gotta say, the wheel choice is agonizing. People are saying the 21" wheels are great, and I completely agree they're way better looking. The range loss is not a deal-breaker, but a big difference in ride comfort and tire noise would be -- especially because my back isn't what it used to be, and I'll be driving 2-3 hours a day.

As long as the MS LR w/21" is substantially smoother and more comfy than a M3 AWD, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and change my order...

Wish we had more 19" vs 21" ride quality and noise comparisons. Forget the damn 0-60 launches. :)
I have a bad back and have always been very choosy on ride quality over the years with all my cars. Not to mention my desire to minimize road noise. Hence why I have 20" aftermarket rims on my current Model S with air suspension.

The M3 is like riding on rocks to me --> the original Model S air suspension is much better at smoothing out the bumps --> the adaptive suspension of the Model S Raven is 3x better at smoothing out the bumps than the air suspension in my opinion --> the second generation adaptive suspension on the refresh S is even better than the first gen adaptive suspension on handling.

After my test drive on the refresh LR with 21" rims that I based this review on, I decided to go with 21" rims on my Plaid order that I'm picking up next week. Hope that helps you decide. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja
If there’s one negative, I’d say the UI does feel a little Beta’ish…just a little wonky compared to some of the other versions of the UI Tesla has had over the years. It’s not horrible by any means but I think we can expect refinement in that, with regular software updates, in the way we’ve seen over the years generally with Tesla.
I DO have to say that the main screen…when your watching videos or playing games or using navigation is just…Huge and great. Because it’s oriented horizontal now (as opposed to the old vertical in the S) ir is just giant feeling when your using maps. Pretty great.
I would agree with this statement 100%

Why no triple blink on a lane changes? You have to either lightly hold and let go or click them to turn it off manually, VERY annoying!
Let me touch it for a triple blink and press for a 90 degree turn. Come on Tesla!

Reactions: FunSecured