Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR 2021 vs 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No differences yet between 2021 and 2022, other than people will give you less money at resale for 2021 cars vs 2022 for no good reason. Later in 2022 we should get the updated headlights finally. The ones shipping now on the Model S are crap compared to the model 3.

Appreciate it. Think I’ll move forward with the 2021 long range. Will likely be my car for years so not too worried about resale value.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Appreciate it. Think I’ll move forward with the 2021 long range. Will likely be my car for years so not too worried about resale value.
I'd wait a bit longer, if you can. So many bugs right now with the car that are driving me nuts. Maybe another 6 months they'll fix them? I thought waiting 6 months was enough, but I was wrong.

The half shaft vibration is really annoying with no fix in sight.
The headlights are crap. New ones are coming sometime this year.

Then there's a bunch of bad software bugs that will hopefully be fixed with updates, but can't be sure.

I'd wait a bit longer, if you can. So many bugs right now with the car that are driving me nuts. Maybe another 6 months they'll fix them? I thought waiting 6 months was enough, but I was wrong.

Then there's a bunch of bad software bugs that will hopefully be fixed with updates, but can't be sure.
Appreciate all the info. I'm going to move forward and hope for the best. Sadly I can't really wait 6 months and hope it's all been figured out and I don't want to get a used M3 for a premium.

Appreciate all the info. I'm going to move forward and hope for the best. Sadly I can't really wait 6 months and hope it's all been figured out and I don't want to get a used M3 for a premium.

Get the car now and enjoy it. There will always be FOMO with Tesla and all the rumors of upgrades and improvements. I have had mine for almost 7 months and over 22k miles. Been issues but I would do it over in a heartbeat, I have a great SC and they have made it an enjoyable car to drive.

Reactions: ArchieArchie

Half shaft unfortunately is an age old issue for model S since 2014/15. They never actually addessed it. My own previous 2018 100ds had them changed maybe 3x on warranty and would till comeback within a month.
I’m not sure Tesla will ever actually truly address the issue. There is just too much torque on demand here and certain parts absorbing stresses will just fail. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: 2101Guy
Half shaft unfortunately is an age old issue for model S since 2014/15. They never actually addessed it. My own previous 2018 100ds had them changed maybe 3x on warranty and would till comeback within a month.
I’m not sure Tesla will ever actually truly address the issue. There is just too much torque on demand here and certain parts absorbing stresses will just fail. 🤷🏽‍♂️
This sounds like a different half shaft issue than the earlier model S. It doesn't vibrate under hard acceleration. Only light acceleration between 40-50 MPH.

Definitely get it while available and enjoy it. You could always wait till all issues are worked out but that won't ever happen. In regards to the headlights, I think mine on my '22 S are great and they aren't the updated ones coming later this year. Not sure if others have defective lights or they're just too picky and hard to please 😉