Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR - another price increase 5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
The base MS LR price is up to $94,990 now. Plaid stayed the same.

1634952699835.png

Yep, apparently, the yoke isn't holding back demand at all. I was just looking and I saw used ones (2021 refreshed MS LR) going for about 110k-120k. For that I'd seriously look at other cars like the EQS or Taycan.

Asking prices are not necessarily selling prices. There have been refresh 2021 MS LRs selling for under $100k on sites like eBay.

Also, MS availability remains quite limited right now with only around 9,275 LR and Plaid delivered worldwide in Q3, and maybe 2,700 of those were in the U.S. These are very low numbers.

Needless to say, the market is still crazy with many different makes and models, new and used, selling for more than they should due to availability issues. It will be interesting to see what happens to the market (and prices) over the next year or so. Some people may be regretting what they paid for their car in 2021. Same goes for real estate.

The way I approached this and our MY purchase was to give us a great opportunity to try a Tesla(s) with little financial risk. It was our first really deep foray into a BEV that was more than just a city car. The fact that Tesla keeps raising their prices means my risk of depreciation is likely diminished significantly even if there isn't any appreciation.

I really wanted go with a Plaid originally but the absence of any towing capability for the Model S platform in the US nixed that idea. So we ordered the MS LR and MY LR to cover the need for towing and having something with better ride quality and performance.

My hope at the time of the order that there would be significant performance improvements in the MS LR mirroring those, but to a lesser extent, of the Plaid. Early reports from owners look very good about the performance capabilities. I liked the M3P's performance at a minimum for a daily driver but wanted more room, better ride quality, ventilated seats and a dash in front of me.

I will be towing less in the future, and maybe not at all, so maybe we'll sell the MY LR if my spouse doesn't want to drive it enough. Drive the MS LR for a while and if I really like it, maybe reconsider the Plaid at a later date, and sell the MS while the values are high. Assuming we don't see a huge bump in the Plaid's price. Who knows there might be even better options from other companies in the next year or so. Glad to have so many decent if not excellent, BEV options in the market.

The way I approached this and our MY purchase was to give us a great opportunity to try a Tesla(s) with little financial risk. It was our first really deep foray into a BEV that was more than just a city car. The fact that Tesla keeps raising their prices means my risk of depreciation is likely diminished significantly even if there isn't any appreciation.

I really wanted go with a Plaid originally but the absence of any towing capability for the Model S platform in the US nixed that idea. So we ordered the MS LR and MY LR to cover the need for towing and having something with better ride quality and performance.

My hope at the time of the order that there would be significant performance improvements in the MS LR mirroring those, but to a lesser extent, of the Plaid. Early reports from owners look very good about the performance capabilities. I liked the M3P's performance at a minimum for a daily driver but wanted more room, better ride quality, ventilated seats and a dash in front of me.

I will be towing less in the future, and maybe not at all, so maybe we'll sell the MY LR if my spouse doesn't want to drive it enough. Drive the MS LR for a while and if I really like it, maybe reconsider the Plaid at a later date, and sell the MS while the values are high. Assuming we don't see a huge bump in the Plaid's price. Who knows there might be even better options from other companies in the next year or so. Glad to have so many decent if not excellent, BEV options in the market.
Huh!

Anyway, each price increase makes me feel better about my pre-order purchase.

Reactions: DBV1 and travwill
Very positive. Since we ordered our 2021 MS LR the price has gone up $15,000 and our trade-in went up $4,000. Kind of cushions the long wait - 1/28 to 9/26. So far, love the car. Lots to learn before I can fully appreciate the computer.