Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR Refresh 2022 rattling noise from dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MSLR always had a slight rattling noise coming from the dashboard when I drive. At first I thought it was the the plastic encasing behind the touchscreen that covers up the mounts that attach the screen to the dashboard, which seemed to stop some rattling noise, but not completely. Does anyone else know what else it could be? And how did you fix it?

I recently developed a rattle in more colder conditions(doesn't rattle when it's warm out in sun), and seems to be from the center portion of the dash. When I press it down with my hand, noise goes away. I would have SC take a look at it, but they'll probably make things worse ripping out the dash and electronic components to access it.

Reactions: QUBO
Mine is more of a creeking, and it's coming from the left of the yoke, in the dash trim. When I push on it with my fingers, I can recreate the sound slightly. It's super annoying when music isn't playing.
I had rattles and creeks from the same areas. I feel your pain, I heard it all the times when I don't have music on and it was super annoying!😤 My guess is that from factory, not everything is bolted down tight enough or something is loose that needs to be pop back in. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2xhighpsi
yeah i found this to be an issue as well... although this still isnt the source of the other small rattle on the dash
I found my rattle to be the plastic panel under the screen. It only rattles while oriented towards the driver, and goes away if I hold it. I find I'm driving down the road with my hand underneath the screen 🤦‍♂️ The only thing keeping me from shoving some foam or rubber in there is it'll break something if the screen is re-oriented towards the center or the passenger.

I found my rattle to be the plastic panel under the screen. It only rattles while oriented towards the driver, and goes away if I hold it. I find I'm driving down the road with my hand underneath the screen 🤦‍♂️ The only thing keeping me from shoving some foam or rubber in there is it'll break something if the screen is re-oriented towards the center or the passenger.
yes, the very loose plastic cover underneath the tilting display. wtf tesla. seriously, like how are you going to design a loose plastic cover without realizing the rattles it will produce.

Reactions: WilliamG and kazamm
After 3-4 visits, finally they fixed my rattle right in front of the driver screen. Below is their note.

Noise heard coming from speaker grille on driver's front area. Removed dash pad assembly to gain access to underside of speaker grille. Insulated dash pad trim. Reassembled and test drove, noise is no longer present.

Car is finally pretty rattle free. Love it now.