Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR Refresh 2022 rattling noise from dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 3-4 visits, finally they fixed my rattle right in front of the driver screen. Below is their note.

Noise heard coming from speaker grille on driver's front area. Removed dash pad assembly to gain access to underside of speaker grille. Insulated dash pad trim. Reassembled and test drove, noise is no longer present.

Car is finally pretty rattle free. Love it now.
did they charge you for this? did they mention anything about a fee for diagnosing your rattle?

glad to hear your car is rattle-free... as they should be :)

i have a slight jingle from the yoke column area. super annoying. i cant seem to pin point it. i dread driving without music on.
HI
Did you figure this out, I have this same jingle sound coming from the center screen /yoke area. It occurs only when the car is warm inside. It does not occur when its cold inside. Yes solution is loud music!!
Thanks
Shami

My MSLR always had a slight rattling noise coming from the dashboard when I drive. At first I thought it was the the plastic encasing behind the touchscreen that covers up the mounts that attach the screen to the dashboard, which seemed to stop some rattling noise, but not completely. Does anyone else know what else it could be? And how did you fix it?
do you have a video about it? I have slight similar rattle when I first drive and turn the yoke.

HI
Did you figure this out, I have this same jingle sound coming from the center screen /yoke area. It occurs only when the car is warm inside. It does not occur when its cold inside. Yes solution is loud music!!
Thanks
Shami
Hi there! I finally figured out the source of my rattles! I just completed a long trip from LA to San Francisco and it gave me plenty of time to hone in on where the rattles were coming from.

Rattle 1: the source of this rattle comes from the yoke scroll buttons. they must be a bit loose or something, but it is definitely coming from here. I did have these buttons adjusted when I first received the car because they felt stuck... as per usual a service appointment fixed one problem, but created another. I confirmed the buttons as the source by knocking on either side of the yoke and this reproduced the rattle sound.

Rattle 2: the source of this rattle comes from the rear view mirror housing, specifically from the plastic piece that covers the joint where it allows the mirror to be adjusted. confirmed this by putting my ear next to that area while driving.

Rattle 3: the rear seat latches. i thought i already had solved this by adding tape, but the rattle came back. i will need to revisit and retape the latches to prevent the rattle. confirmed this by laying my seats flat... the rattle was gone!

Hope this helps you!

• Love
Reactions: Richard34212
Rattle 3: the rear seat latches. i thought i already had solved this by adding tape, but the rattle came back. i will need to revisit and retape the latches to prevent the rattle. confirmed this by laying my seats flat... the rattle was gone!
I have the same issue which also disappears when the rear seats lay flat but still can't figure out the exact source. If you identify it please report back!

My rattler appear to come from the driver side screen right in front of the yoke, near where the air vents are. If I press down on the part of the dash under the screen, the rattle goes away. It doesn't rattle when I'm on a smooth road, and seems to get worse if cool air is passing through the vents.

I did take it to SC at one point in time for something else and mentioned the rattle. It appeared to go away for a a week or two, but returned thereafter.

I had a rattle on a new Model S that sounded like it was coming from directly behind the center screen - and it was. Service said it was a known problem with the bevel that holds the screen in place and was a simple adjustment. Whatever they did to tighten it down completely corrected the problem.
Probably just the shroud behind the screen. Do you have the swiveling display or no?