Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR vs Audi GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I searched but didn't find too many posts on the '22 Audi GT. Saw lots of YT videos, but would love to get people's opinions as both are comparable in base pricing. I didn't include the Taycan because I'm not a fan of the exterior. It looks nice, but just a bit too "sporty" for me (personal preference).

Tesla (pros)
Range
Acceleration
Charging network
OTA updates
UX / phone as key
Reliable (it's been around for 10+ years)

Audi (pros)
Exterior shape (subjective I know, but damn it looks nice)
Interior looks more luxurious (subjective again)
$7,500 federal rebate
Build quality
360 top view camera

I'm indifferent with the charging network since 99.9% of my charging will be at home. Also indifferent with acceleration (3.1 vs 3.9).

Thoughts from the folks that's getting the new S as I imagine they've looked at the competition out there. Or will this be a biased place to ask this since I'm in a Tesla forum?
Thanks.

The Audi can’t even compare to a model 3 let alone the model s.. as for the interior I was in my friends Audi GT and thought it was hideous inside so i guess it’s completely subjective as to preference on looks and interior design

I didn't necessarily look at the GT since I preferred the looks of the Taycan and model S more, but the GT and Taycan are similar in specs so worth sharing why I landed on the S:

- Looks: I love the Taycan look compared to the somewhat outdated S, so that wins in my subjective view
- Range: Tesla owns it here and was my #1 decision factor
- Technology: Tesla again wins here
- Cost: generally speaking, to get to similar specs of the S, cost of the Taycan would balloon along with a $15k mark up over msrp
- build quality: my S is something to be left desired given the cost associated, but I come to live with it I haven't looked at the GT and Taycan in enough detail to know their quality, but I would assume
it's good given manufacturer history.

eTron GT offers similar pros/cons vs. the MSLR as the Porsche Taycan:
Pros:
-more substantial build quality, though the gap isn’t as big as it once was
-Super quick DC charging, though again, the gap isn’t huge now and you said this doesn’t matter to you
-Relative rarity
Cons:
-far less practical. Interior space/cargo space much smaller than even a Model 3, not close to MSLR
-difficult ingress/egress from both front and back seats
-back seat limited to 2 passengers
-much more expensive
-no one-pedal driving
-lane keeping assist nothing like as good as Tesla’s
-glitchy UI

All of that said, if you love the way it looks and don’t care as much about the performance or practicality aspects, I’m sure you’d enjoy the eTron GT

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Thoughts from the folks that's getting the new S as I imagine they've looked at the competition out there. Or will this be a biased place to ask this since I'm in a Tesla forum?
Yes, this is a biased place to ask. There’s probably an Audi forum where people have considered both cars, might be worth seeing what people there are saying to get another perspective.

s Per the motor trend article, the GT RS (not the GT..the fastest model, the GT RS) does the 1/4 mile in 11 seconds flat.

The most recent Drag Times youtube video shows the refresh LR getting consistent 10.9 1/4 mile times...and with no "boost"/temporary 2.5 second full power trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverGS
Have to decide next year, leaning to Taycan GTS or new S next year. Have an S 100D late2018 now. Not sure if I can live without everything there is on the car now. Its quite impressive pricetag if you need to add everything on the Porsche to match the Tesla. Love the autopilot, emergency braking/corrections, battery/range, infotainment system, sentry, etc. But I will test drive the Taycan for a weekend first!

Reactions: 2101Guy
I looked at both Taycan and eTron before settling on a MS LR. I had owned both MS and M3 as well as Audi S6. I was looking for range and cost. I also looked at how long it would take to order a Taycan. I like the look of Taycan, Audi and MS (in that order). I wonder nobody mentioned the Lucid. I did speak with the dealer before I pulled the trigger for the MS. It looks great but was a vapor production at the time.

Hi there. I searched but didn't find too many posts on the '22 Audi GT. Saw lots of YT videos, but would love to get people's opinions as both are comparable in base pricing. I didn't include the Taycan because I'm not a fan of the exterior. It looks nice, but just a bit too "sporty" for me (personal preference).

Tesla (pros)
Range
Acceleration
Charging network
OTA updates
UX / phone as key
Reliable (it's been around for 10+ years)

Audi (pros)
Exterior shape (subjective I know, but damn it looks nice)
Interior looks more luxurious (subjective again)
$7,500 federal rebate
Build quality
360 top view camera

I'm indifferent with the charging network since 99.9% of my charging will be at home. Also indifferent with acceleration (3.1 vs 3.9).

Thanks.
It’s very smart of you to get all the information you need, regardless forum group. $7500 is nice, but range on battery is very important. 👍🏻

Did your friend regret his purchase? Or he's still happy with it?
After two Tesla S and one Tesla X I now have my Audi etron GT for 5 months, drove 5000 miles.
Still like it a lot, the car just works...
No resets needed, Android Auto works perfectly (zero need to have cellular subscription), my matrix and laser lights are very good.
The Ionity charger infrastructure in Europe is every 200 miles on highways so enough for long trips...and the kwh price lower compared with Tesla!
Oh yes, my monthly leasing costs are lower compared with my new Tesla S (if it ever comes)....

Reactions: Art VandeIay