Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LR vs Audi GT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread. I bought in on my refreshed S was at its bargain basement price, so it was an amazing value at that price point. So while I looked at the Taycan and eTron I couldn't see spending a lot more money to get a car that was better/worse at the same time.

Lately I've been thinking about what I would replace my car S if anything happened to it so I am revisiting it as well. I've also gotten a lot deeper into what I want to do to maintain my battery and it has put a different perspective on things as well. In a way range has become even more important so the inferior range of the Porsche/Audi become more of an issue.

You don't want to keep your battery at max charge, especially in hot weather. I live in a hot climate. Ideally from all the research I've done you don't want to be at a very low discharge state and you want to limit the depth of your discharge cycles. So when you wade through all the data, basically keeping your average charge level around 50% should limit the degradation of your batteries and don't go down to 0. So I leave my charge level on my S at 50% except when I really need to go more.

There is degradation due to time and I can't do much about that. I plan to keep the S for some time so what I can do from a usage perspective to minimize degradation I will. Nobody also knows how long the Porsche/Audi packs will hold up but there is enough data around Teslas packs to know what to expect.

So if I start with the much lower real world range, and then start at 50% charge level, I'd have a lot less range than I do in my S currently, even if the factory rang is somewhat optimistic. That is only achievable if I charge to 100% anyway so more theoretical than practical unless going on trip. So for me, the Tesla is a big when in this area.

Performance is important to me and even at 30% charge, the MS LR is still very quick. So another big plus to me. For the most part the tech just works on the S (better than my 3 or Y). The S is a lot roomier. You can do a lot more with the factory app and a lot of other apps that you can chose from like doing things from my watch. All big pluses for me. Gotta say I love the info I can pull from TeslaFi as well. I have to have 1 pedal driving now.

On the flip side I like the materials better in the Porsche/Audi. I love the 360 view. I like the seats better, but not by an incredible amount. I like the looks of the P/A better. I hate that it seemed like they converted a gas car to electric and could have done more to make use of space more efficiently. I love the concept of a 2 speed transmission but just another thing to break. I think the lights are far superior to the S. There is a lot more prestige with a Porsche badge over a Tesla. I think the braking and handling is superior to the S but as mentioned, the lack of 1 pedal driving is a big miss. At least give me an option to choose. I understand why Porsche did it.

My service experience on Porsches has been far better than Tesla. My Tesla service experience has been generally far better than Audi. I've actually had Audi buy back a car they couldn't fix and blamed me for the issue. Long story short, they royally effd up and lost me as a customer forever because of how they treated me. The Porsche side of the same dealership was golden.

Anyway I'll never buy another Audi for as long as I live. Because of them now being the same company every time I think about buy a Porsche, Audi, VW, Lambo, etc. I just stop for a moment and realize how bad they screwed up and put my family's life in jeopardy when they jerked me around for months during a freezing winter for a problem that was their fault.

So I would put a Lucid on my radar instead.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
if money were not a factor, Id definitely consider Lucid. But then again, I much prefer the exterior styling of the S over the Lucid. And to get the range/performance I want in the Lucid, I'd be paying major $.

I would argue that interior size wise, Audi is same size as Model 3, yes?
am went to an audi dealership denver, sat in 3 etron gt and 2 etron rs models, did not see any etron suv...

after seeing the utube vids on the gt i reminisce of the days of my quattro a6 - my favorite ice cars ever... well built and fast enuff... anyway the gt looks stunning in the passing lanes on the street... but in the showroom i grew weary of it fast...

exterior it s eye catching for sure... but up close and after long stares it grows a bit too close... but overall a stunner...

interior... where do i begin... compact ??? very sporty driving position and displays are cool... smaller than m3 i think...
driver door window is weird... lowest setting pops up 2-3" door closed... then drops outa sight when opened ???

so overall at 104k starting price i think i would regret buying an etron gt w range of 250mi...

audi are great but men tesla is just a beast...