Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: ludicrous mode and 90kWh Battery announcement(s).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
WOW - http://www.wired.com/2015/07/teslas-new-ludicrous-mode-makes-model-s-supercar/

I hope my newly ordered P85D which has yet "hit production", although I just received a VIN number... not sure what stage my car is up to... does not miss out on the 90kWh upgrade.

I must admit, I was pretty happy with "insane mode" but "ludicrous mode", just got a whole lot better :) :)

I read that existing P85D owners can pay for an upgrade. I assume this can be done at your local service center.

It will cost US$13k which would translate to about AUD$30k here with exchange rates and taxes. The Aus Design Studio isn't updated yet.
Personally the 85D-P85D premium was a borderline decision for me Price V Performance. The ludicrous mode I think would be a bigger change in the real world (overtaking performance) but the price premium is equally ludicrous for what looks like an upgraded fuse/contactor

It will cost US$13k which would translate to about AUD$30k here with exchange rates and taxes. The Aus Design Studio isn't updated yet.
Personally the 85D-P85D premium was a borderline decision for me Price V Performance. The ludicrous mode I think would be a bigger change in the real world (overtaking performance) but the price premium is equally ludicrous for what looks like an upgraded fuse/contactor

Yeah, may wait to see what the Aussie price is for the option/mode, but annoyingly, I thought if I am spending all this money on a car, I may as well opt for the best possible version at the time of purchase - it was my "go hard or go home" moment.

- - - Updated - - -

I was also reading it was 5K plus labour for previous owners of P85D's vs new owners at 10K, as listed here - http://www.cnet.com/news/tesla-turns-insane-up-to-ludicrous-increases-model-s-to-90-kilowatt-hours/? Labour surely isn't 6K?

I was also reading it was 5K plus labour for previous owners of P85D's vs new owners at 10K, as listed here - Tesla turns Insane up to Ludicrous, increases Model S range - CNET Labour surely isn't 6K?

In the world of car options, cost and price aren't comparable. If it is a dealer fitted upgrade it may be cheaper to add it later (and not pay the ludicrous LCT). I think changing your order now will likely delay delivery by 9 months while they meet demand in the US.....then in 9 months there will be another upgrade.....and the cycle continues.

In the world of car options, cost and price aren't comparable. If it is a dealer fitted upgrade it may be cheaper to add it later (and not pay the ludicrous LCT). I think changing your order now will likely delay delivery by 9 months while they meet demand in the US.....then in 9 months there will be another upgrade.....and the cycle continues.

WA-T3sla you have made some very valid points... paying LCT on a new order VS upgrading post order is a smart idea.

The Design Studio on the Australian website has been updated- go play! The total for my P85D upgraded with Ludicrous and 90 kWh is: $243k. Holy cow. Not an option for me!! Doesn't seem to be enough value for money to me...
Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe you could give some of your Anasthetic friends a ride in yours and convince them to get the ludicrous option and give you a ride in return! ;-)

Not sure if everyone noticed the Consumer Report acceleration test. Essentially the ludicrous upgrade doubles the flat acceleration stage on the graph. I wonder if anyone has put on some track tires and done the same test. Will be interesting if they upgrade or test out ludicrous mode in the same way.
http://my.teslamotors.com/nl_NL/for...s-p85d-against-dodge-hellcat-watch-it-science

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
The REALLY good news as far as i am concerned is the stock price!! My shares went up $8 overnight! Bring on the $400 a share target!

I have STILL seen nothing that makes me regret my existing choice of a non P non D car. The new options add nothing i REALLY want. While it would be nice to have next gen seats, that is actually the only thing that would be nice to have. My car otherwise has pretty much everything in the latest design studio bar dual motors (i already have too much power) and a 90Kh battery (I don't road trip much, and in the future i could upgrade to this if i so chose). Having been stuck in insane traffic this morning where i was travelling at max 20km/h much of the time, (Chatswood), 2. something seconds is a terrible waste unless you want to race, and why would you do that in a $200000 + vehicle?

Even the Autobahns in Germany are now being regulated so my guide told me on my recent trip. Unlimited speed there is gradually being restricted.
I guess a bit better handling might be of benefit to some, but as far as my driving is concerned, i am plenty happy with the handling i have.

Upgrading the battery has an advantage if done after delivery in the avoidance of the ludicrous LCT!!

Upgraded fuse/contactor- $500
Upgraded bragging rights of having the fastest production sedan in the world $29,500.

There are some that will see it as a bargain!

I fall in to the same camp as DBorn in thinking that the standard 85 is more than powerful/fast enough unless you are actually going to race the thing.

Upgraded bragging rights of having the fastest production sedan in the world $29,500.

I fall in to the same camp as DBorn in thinking that the standard 85 is more than powerful/fast enough unless you are actually going to race the thing.

I see brand new, the Ludicrous mode is 13.5K, and the range upgrade 4.1K, 17.6K for the new P90D. I wonder what the 5K + labor/taxes will translate to when upgrading here. The extra 5kWh battery increase for me would be important, but not as important as the speed increase - vein I know, but the reason I went for the P in the first place was to get the best performance possible out of an electric car if I am spending so much on an electric car in the first place.

Besides, the extra "expected" 15miles battery life could probably be easily outweighed by the UMC device charging for the extra 15mile's. I am sure for those times I am happy to wait a little longer to re-charge.

It's clever marketing and will generate great coverage for Tesla no doubt. But for me my car is plenty powerful enough (it makes my old 928 feel slow) and has enough range for everything I've used a car for the past 6+ years, so to pay up to twice the price for essentially the exact same car with more power and range is something I have no interest in whatsoever. I'd almost never use either. To each their own of course! :)

Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe you could give some of your Anasthetic friends a ride in yours and convince them to get the ludicrous option and give you a ride in return! ;-)
Nice thought, but it's more fun if you own it! My P85D STILL isn't in production: maybe I should DW the boys at Artarmon whether I can sneak in the battery and ludicrous option- it'll be (43% of 42000 over three years) an extra $500 per month....?????????

Just clarify.... I am certain the $5000 aftermarket upgrade is just for Ludicrous mode and not for the 90kWh. Ludicrous is software, battery terminals and the new fuse technology. 90kWh is a different battery anode chemistry and there is no way a battery pack change out will happen for $5k.

Just clarify.... I am certain the $5000 aftermarket upgrade is just for Ludicrous mode and not for the 90kWh. Ludicrous is software, battery terminals and the new fuse technology. 90kWh is a different battery anode chemistry and there is no way a battery pack change out will happen for $5k.

Interesting, I am prob. going to do the same with my P85D (get the Ludicrous mode) when it arrives... I see the battery upgrade option in AUD is 4100 when ordering brand new. I wonder if its possible aftermarket in the same manner. Although I do think 15miles is prob. not worth it compared to just charging to get the extra 15miles with the UMC when I want to go on a road trip.

Interesting, I am prob. going to do the same with my P85D (get the Ludicrous mode) when it arrives... I see the battery upgrade option in AUD is 4100 when ordering brand new. I wonder if its possible aftermarket in the same manner. Although I do think 15miles is prob. not worth it compared to just charging to get the extra 15miles with the UMC when I want to go on a road trip.

i'm in for both. Since I ordered in December I am two price increases behind, so even $20k or less additional seems like a bargain

what the heck, if you buy a supercar, it ought to be a SUPERCAR

I'll check with Adam on Monday and report on the particulars.