Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S made me physically sick..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I took my X in for a warranty item and they gave me a Model S P85D as a loaner car for the day. I saw on the menu system a setting that you could choose between SPORT or INSANE. So it was already on INSANE and I thought I will try this out. I Found a deserted country highway near my house and came to a dead stop and then floored it! Oh my God! The G force pinned me to the seat much more than my Dodge Hellcat. I got to 60 in less than 3 seconds. It also made me and my wife kind of sick like a rollercoaster from the G force smashing our lunch in our stomachs. Now I really want to sell the hellcat and get a P100DL!! (with an air sick bag)

I got a P85D loaner a while back and floored it on an empty road. It made me dizzy and gave me that weird feeling in my stomach where it feels like your gut is dropping (like on a rollercoaster). Mind you, this was a "regular" Insane mode P85D (No ludicrous mode). I actually managed to scare myself. I'm just glad I didn't try this with a full bladder.

I can't imagine what a P100D feels like. I'm not sure if my body will even tolerate that level of acceleration.

A week later I got my regular old 85 back and my car never felt slower :rolleyes:

as a former Challenger owner (plum crazy purple SRT8, not a Hellcat) and a new owner of a P100DL .... there is absolutely no comparison.

not only is the Tesla just way, way quicker, but you can do 0-60 runs in 2.7 seconds ... in the rain! Watch a Tesla Model S P100D do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds – in the rain

my Challenger had such poor traction in the rain, it was hard not to spin the wheels even when accelerating totally sedately from a stoplight. The Tesla feels like it is magnetically sealed to the road by comparison.

... Model S P85D ... INSANE ... dead stop and then floored it! .... It also made me and my wife kind of sick like a rollercoaster from the G force smashing our lunch in our stomachs.
I consider myself fortunate that I don't have this problem in the P85D. My girlfriend... no so much.

Hopefully P100D doesn't push me over that threshold either. But I'd love to give it a try. ;)

When the Model S first came out, I hadn't experienced the joy of riding in a Roadster. After the first test ride (Get Amped tour) in Model S, I thought "this car might be too fast for me, 'out of control'". That sensation passed. Of course that didn't stop me from ordering a P85. When I first drove my P85, I thought "out of control". That sensation passed. When I later stepped up to P85D, again "out of control". That sensation passed. Bumping to Ludicrous, "out of control" passed quickly. I suspect for a month or so I'll feel the same in P100D. But it'll pass. :)

To be clear, the joy and fun definitely don't "pass". Being terrified does. ;)

My refresh 60D is a horse and buggy compared to a ludicrous 85 or 100 but still the uninitiated get a little queasy when I floor it. I always preface any hard acceleration with "hold on" but the raw grip of this car on the pavement is not something most people are used to. There's something about the electric motor torque that is quite different from an ICE. The numbers don't tell the whole story. I get to 60 in 5.2 seconds but somehow I feel like that's faster than an ice's 5.2 seconds. Does that make any sense?

The eyeball distorts under high G forces in acceleration, AA Fuel dragsters and carrier launched pilots report loss of focus as the lens in the front of the eye shifts towards the back of the eye. Has anyone noticed blurred vision when accelerating in ludicrous mode?

The eyeball distorts under high G forces in acceleration, AA Fuel dragsters and carrier launched pilots report loss of focus as the lens in the front of the eye shifts towards the back of the eye. Has anyone noticed blurred vision when accelerating in ludicrous mode?

I almost did, yes. What really freaked me out is when I floored it, I almost felt as if my body was in a frozen state and my foot on the accelerator didn't want to come of. Totally weird sensation.

On our first test drive in a P85D my wife and I turned to each other after a whole shot from a stop light and we both were grey with nausea. I of course then burst out laughing and said, let's buy on these things now! We "settled" for the 70D, and I'm not at all disappointed. But every now and then when a new friend learns I have a tesla they always want to try the Insane mode. I have to let them down easy.

I definitely get a little blurry vision when I floor it. My entire body gets pushed back into the seat, including my eyeballs. It's a really mind (and vision) bending experience. My daily jaunts to work are pretty fun :)

Reactions: davidc18
I drove a Roadster for 7 years (after decades of driving economy cars slowly for good mpg). I absolutely loved that car, and floored it every chance I got. Of course it would have been nice if it was a little quicker, but I really was happy with the performance.

I thought I might pass out the first time I tried a P90DL. I felt a little sick after a few runs. I said I would never need that much performance, and my next car would be a 90D. I had a 90D loaner once and thought it was the best of all the versions I had tried.

But when I leased a car last month, it turned out the cheapest option was an inventory P90DL. OK, maybe I can just keep it in Sport mode for the first year. Then I can turn on ludicrous and get a "new" car. That plan lasted, well, about half of my first drive. I keep it in ludicrous all the time, and floor it every chance I get.

And, I really wish it was a little quicker. I sure would like to try a P100D. I guess the quest for "a little quicker" never ends...

Sounds dangerous. Lol. I've driven ludicrous. It's a fun, strange sensation, but I don't remember blurry vision. Maybe I blacked out:eek:

let's not get carried away. the Tesla doesn't pull much more than 1G, meaning your eyeball is feeling pretty much the same pressure as when you're lying on your back motionless.

by the way, some roller coasters can pull up to about 5 Gs at the bottom of their hills or around tight bends. It's slightly different, though, since that force is directed downwards towards your feet, as opposed to towards the back of your head, so the sensation is different. Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion is not the tallest or fastest ride in the world, but many enthusiasts say it is the most intense. it pulls so strongly for so long (about 5 seconds sustained) that most riders get splotchy vision from lack of blood to the brain, known as a "grey out", during the first turn of the ride, which is a long 270 degree turn at about 94mph. the grey out only lasts a couple seconds. it's completely harmless, but it freaks some people out.

I thought we would have fun in our P90DL doing Ludicrous. Not so much. The car performs beyond the limits of the human body. Yes, it makes you sick especially after the 3rd-4th time in a row that you launch it. Yes, your vision narrows. Yes, if you have had a prior concussion it will aggravate your previous injury. Hindsight? I would go for increased range over Ludicrous.

I thought we would have fun in our P90DL doing Ludicrous. Not so much. The car performs beyond the limits of the human body. Yes, it makes you sick especially after the 3rd-4th time in a row that you launch it. Yes, your vision narrows. Yes, if you have had a prior concussion it will aggravate your previous injury. Hindsight? I would go for increased range over Ludicrous.
So upgrade to P100D for the range and then put it in Sport mode then? ;)

let's not get carried away. the Tesla doesn't pull much more than 1G, meaning your eyeball is feeling pretty much the same pressure as when you're lying on your back motionless.

by the way, some roller coasters can pull up to about 5 Gs at the bottom of their hills or around tight bends. It's slightly different, though, since that force is directed downwards towards your feet, as opposed to towards the back of your head, so the sensation is different. Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion is not the tallest or fastest ride in the world, but many enthusiasts say it is the most intense. it pulls so strongly for so long (about 5 seconds sustained) that most riders get splotchy vision from lack of blood to the brain, known as a "grey out", during the first turn of the ride, which is a long 270 degree turn at about 94mph. the grey out only lasts a couple seconds. it's completely harmless, but it freaks some people out.

According to consumer reports a P85D pulls about 1.33G