Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S maintenance is more expensive than gas cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the maintenance plans are optional and IMHO not necessary for a tesla. (in addition to being unavailable here in FLA) as for pricing I haven't a clue as to why tesla priced their so high. Other than issues in my older tesla that came under warranty there has been just about zero maintenance expenses with the car.
many wear items aren't covered regardless of the car coming from MB or tesla.

Tesla maintenance is not required. It specifically states the warranty will not be voided if you do not do the maintenance.

That being said, if you skip the $125 oil changes on your mercedes and are shocked when the engine fails at 18,000 miles, no warranty will replace that. $125 may be understating it, my local lexus dealer charged $140 for oil changes....

Tesla maintenance is not required. It specifically states the warranty will not be voided if you do not do the maintenance.

That being said, if you skip the $125 oil changes on your mercedes and are shocked when the engine fails at 18,000 miles, no warranty will replace that. $125 may be understating it, my local lexus dealer charged $140 for oil changes....
Oil changes are included in my maintenance plan at Audi. Should be in Mercedes too.If engine fails within warranty then Mercedes will replace it. You are just exaggerating it.
Overall Tesla's maintenance seems to be expensive if we opt for the maintenance plan.

What is Tesla more expensive? I thought EVs cost less to maintain.

I suppose that you do not count the cost of gas when you are defining "maintenance". For the record, I would. On top of that, where is it written that Tesla has to be "cheaper" than every single other car company, EV or gas? I am sure that Tesla's plan is cheaper than some and more expensive than others. Why cherry pick one company over another. Not sure how one can simply compare the cost of these 2 plans and come to the conclusion that somehow the Mercedes is cheaper to own.

Furthermore, to take this a step further, did you actually compare the plans that you provided the links for? If I am reading them correctly after a quick glance, and perhaps I missed something as I really don't care to read the whole plan, but it seems to me that the Tesla plan is a 3 year 37,500 mile plan and a 4 year 50,000 mile plan. Where as the Mercedes is a 3 year 30,000 mile plan and a 4 year 40,000 mile plan. Assuming that to be correct, do you think that fact that you look to have left out might justify the price difference? Certainly would seem like it to me.

If you are going to make a comparison, compare apples to apples. Seems a little like trolling to me. But I am sure I am wrong.

The Mercedes dealer agreed to waive 1 year maintenance costs. What do you say about that?

I've read a number of threads you started or posted to and really wonder if a Tesla is really for you. Doesn't seem like it to me. You shouldn't have to be talked into a particular car. Nothing in life is ever perfect and cars no different. You can try waiting for it or accept it's what it is at that point and just enjoy the ride.

The OP has made it clear through his numerous posts that a Tesla is not viable for him, so there's no point in trying to engage him in any meaningful debate.

Oil changes are included in my maintenance plan at Audi. Should be in Mercedes too.If engine fails within warranty then Mercedes will replace it. You are just exaggerating it.
Overall Tesla's maintenance seems to be expensive if we opt for the maintenance plan.

If the engine fails because you neglected manufacturer required maintenance, they're not replacing it.

But its a mute point. Tesla does not require any single maintenance on their vehicles period. What you see is suggested maintenance only and if its not required to maintain warranty its up to the owner.

Last edited:
The Mercedes dealer agreed to waive 1 year maintenance costs. What do you say about that?

Was that before or after you told the Mercedes dealer that you were not buying his car as you were buying a Tesla? ;) Isn't this your reply to my post on an earlier thread?

"Thanks for the detailed post. I think, I did not make it clear in my post that, I am not going to buy the MB. I am just holding MB as the benchmark. Once Tesla meets the benchmark in most categories, I will buy the Model S. That is why I asked if its best to wait. I am not going to buy another gas car after experiencing instant torque. I am renting a Model S P85D for 3 days for a tour. Will experience it myself soon."

What do you say about that? ;)

3 years: 1425
4 years: 1875.

What is Tesla more expensive? I thought EVs cost less to maintain.
As others have said, it's not required and it seems they're really doing less actual maintenance and more inspecting except for a few AC and cabin filters.
At the 4 year, 50k mile mark for my Model S I've spent:
Yr1: $600
Yr3: $475 (wheel alignment included)
Yr4: $850 (fluid replace, flush etc.) That was painful but my choice. (I could have chosen the $475 option)
So, my service is at $1975.

But, after 50k miles I most likely would be doing brakes at least once. That probably isn't cheap on an MB. My Model S has a total of 1mm brake wear so far. Should do 100k miles easily IMO. I think that helps push the low maintenance argument towards Tesla (vs MB) and in the favor of EVs in general.

Our 2011 Nissan LEAF has been issue free and cost us about $200 in maintenance over 6 years. Nothing at the dealer.

I suppose that you do not count the cost of gas when you are defining "maintenance". For the record, I would. On top of that, where is it written that Tesla has to be "cheaper" than every single other car company, EV or gas? I am sure that Tesla's plan is cheaper than some and more expensive than others. Why cherry pick one company over another. Not sure how one can simply compare the cost of these 2 plans and come to the conclusion that somehow the Mercedes is cheaper to own.

Furthermore, to take this a step further, did you actually compare the plans that you provided the links for? If I am reading them correctly after a quick glance, and perhaps I missed something as I really don't care to read the whole plan, but it seems to me that the Tesla plan is a 3 year 37,500 mile plan and a 4 year 50,000 mile plan. Where as the Mercedes is a 3 year 30,000 mile plan and a 4 year 40,000 mile plan. Assuming that to be correct, do you think that fact that you look to have left out might justify the price difference? Certainly would seem like it to me.

If you are going to make a comparison, compare apples to apples. Seems a little like trolling to me. But I am sure I am wrong.
I don't drive much. So I look at years rather than miles.

The OP has made it clear through his numerous posts that a Tesla is not viable for him, so there's no point in trying to engage him in any meaningful debate.

@tpham07 - I know. And most of the time I can stop myself from doing so. But sometimes I simply cannot resist. Something inside me requires me to respond to some of these ridiculous statements/comparisons/falsehoods. I just cannot help myself. I will try and be better in the future. Please forgive me. :D

Was that before or after you told the Mercedes dealer that you were not buying his car as you were buying a Tesla? ;) Isn't this your reply to my post on an earlier thread?

"Thanks for the detailed post. I think, I did not make it clear in my post that, I am not going to buy the MB. I am just holding MB as the benchmark. Once Tesla meets the benchmark in most categories, I will buy the Model S. That is why I asked if its best to wait. I am not going to buy another gas car after experiencing instant torque. I am renting a Model S P85D for 3 days for a tour. Will experience it myself soon."

What do you say about that? ;)
Yes, he offered when he realized I was not going to buy MB

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore