Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S maintenance is more expensive than gas cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait hang on. Didn't you state you where a Model 3 reservation holder and weren't going to buy a Model S?!

You need to re-read your stuff so you don't get caught out. I'm fairly sure you're not going to buy a Model S or any other Tesla. Seems you're more interested in creating some fake news posts.

Here's some for the mill: Tesla maintenance costs over 4 years $17. Wiper fluid. I bought a fuel filter but haven't fitted it yet so am not counting those costs until I can factor in labour hours. :)
That was auto correct. Instead of "now" it became "not". I am not able to edit it now.
I am "now" considering a Model S.

Wait hang on. Didn't you state you where a Model 3 reservation holder and weren't going to buy a Model S?!

You need to re-read your stuff so you don't get caught out. I'm fairly sure you're not going to buy a Model S or any other Tesla. Seems you're more interested in creating some fake news posts.

Here's some for the mill: Tesla maintenance costs over 4 years $17. Wiper fluid. I bought a fuel filter but haven't fitted it yet so am not counting those costs until I can factor in labour hours. :)
How is it fake news if the maintenance plan cost is in Tesla's website?

Before the this thread turns into an argument I want to summaries what I learnt and then no one has to reply anymore:

Tesla is more expensive than Mercedes if we opt for maintenance plan. But for a gas car, maintenance has to be done. But not the case for Tesla. Hence, Tesla becomes cheaper if one does not opt for the maintenance plan.

But the Mercedes is more expensive than the Tesla if you opt for the gasoline plan. But Mercedes requires the gasoline plan. But not the case for Tesla. Hence, Tesla becomes cheaper if one does not opt for the gasoline plan. :D

Last edited:
Check out the history of what Tesla used to say about the importance of performing the maintenance, who could perform it, and whether your warranty would be voided or not.

5l82tx-jpg.51942

“What will happen to Tesla owners that do not pay for these annual inspections from Tesla? Can they take their car to an independent shop without affecting warranty coverage?”
"You will forfeit your warranty if you do not do Annual or 12,500 mile Inspections, when due. You will forfeit your warranty if you take your Model S to an independent shop for vehicle service and/or repairs. Your car needs to be serviced by a current, Tesla Certified mechanic to make sure it is working properly and to maintain the warranty on your car."

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)
Except that in the US, that's not legal.

Reactions: kort677
I do my maintenance - taking my car in for my 50k service right now. However, I did not buy the maintenance plan, since it only saves a couple hundred $$ over paying as you go. So I am paying as I go.

The extended warranty is the biggest reason to do the maintenance on schedule. If you aren't going to buy it, or don't plan to own the car that long, then you can probably skip the minor services if you want.

Overall, yes, the recommended maintenance schedule is more expensive than a lot of cars, especially when you look at BMW which includes 3 years maintenance with the purchase price.

I do my maintenance - taking my car in for my 50k service right now. However, I did not buy the maintenance plan, since it only saves a couple hundred $$ over paying as you go. So I am paying as I go.

The extended warranty is the biggest reason to do the maintenance on schedule. If you aren't going to buy it, or don't plan to own the car that long, then you can probably skip the minor services if you want.

Overall, yes, the recommended maintenance schedule is more expensive than a lot of cars, especially when you look at BMW which includes 3 years maintenance with the purchase price.

Do you have to do the minor services with Tesla to maintain the ability to purchase the extended warranty? Can you use a third party and just keep documentation, or will that not be sufficient?

Except that in the US, that's not legal.

How is it not legal? If you're referring to the Magnuson Moss Act, it does not prohibit requiring maintenance for warranty purposes. It prohibits forcing a customer to use the dealer (or any other type of restricted list) to get the required maintenance performed. As long as the work is done correctly, it can be done anywhere (including the owner doing it themselves).

So if you're supposed to get an oil change every 5,000 miles, you cannot be denied warranty service because you had it done at Jiffy Lube instead of the dealer service center. If you decide to skip oil changes, and your engine seizes @ 10K miles, the mfgr can certainly deny your warranty claim.

Footnote --- They also cannot require you to use a certain brand of parts (e.g. "Must use BMW OEM oil filters") unless the mfgr provides them free of charge. They can only require certain specifications (e.g. "Must use oil filters that meet these specs").

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
How is it not legal? If you're referring to the Magnuson Moss Act, it does not prohibit requiring maintenance for warranty purposes. It prohibits forcing a customer to use the dealer (or any other type of restricted list) to get the required maintenance performed. As long as the work is done correctly, it can be done anywhere (including the owner doing it themselves).

So if you're supposed to get an oil change every 5,000 miles, you cannot be denied warranty service because you had it done at Jiffy Lube instead of the dealer service center. If you decide to skip oil changes, and your engine seizes @ 10K miles, the mfgr can certainly deny your warranty claim.

Footnote --- They also cannot require you to use a certain brand of parts (e.g. "Must use BMW OEM oil filters") unless the mfgr provides them free of charge. They can only require certain specifications (e.g. "Must use oil filters that meet these specs").

The terms of the warranty itself does not mandate the maintenance be performed. Thus, it is optional. Only if you want the 4y/50k additional extended warranty.

Yes, required in the contract. I suggested they include the annual services for those that lease

Right. Although looking at my lease agreement text now, there is some ambiguity: "VEHICLE MAINTENANCE AND OPERATING COSTS. You agree to maintain the Vehicle in good working order and operating condition and have all necessary repairs made. You are responsible for all costs of maintaining and servicing the Vehicle. You agree to have the Vehicle serviced and repaired according to the manufacturer’s recommendations and to ensure that the warranty, if any, remains valid. You will keep all maintenance and repair records. You agree to comply with all manufacturer recall notices. You agree to pay for all operating costs including, but not limited to, traffic and parking tickets or violations, towing and replacement tires."

Originally I had deferred the annual maintenance on my car, because I drive fairly little and because of sentiments expressed on TMC that the annual service is unnecessary and quite expensive for what you get. But after reading this again, I scheduled an annual maintenance. The car was into its second year when the service was done, so I am undecided about whether or not I need to do all three annual services before the end of my 3-year lease. I guess I will figure that out as time passes.

And by the way, for those who may be unaware -- Where I live, in New England, the service writer told me that Tesla strongly recommended (or words to that effect) that I authorize an extra piece of work at the annual service, namely a cleaning and lubrication of the brakes. This was described as important in areas with snow, because of the moisture and salt that get into the mechanism. Having paid for many brake repairs over the years that were attributed to rusted calipers and so on, I agreed, which added $175 to my bill. So the annual service total was a surprisingly high $725. I am not complaining, just reporting. If I keep my car beyond the 3 years of the lease, it might be interesting to see if the (extra) brake service pays off in longevity. NOt sure I could tell, though, because I do not have a baseline.

Last edited:

What is not legal is a blanket statement that says "your warranty is void". It's on Tesla to prove that the lack of maintenance caused the specific item to fail. Also, a lack of maintenance on, say the brake system, cannot void the warranty on the touch screen.

What is not legal is a blanket statement that says "your warranty is void". It's on Tesla to prove that the lack of maintenance caused the specific item to fail. Also, a lack of maintenance on, say the brake system, cannot void the warranty on the touch screen.

I agree w/ both those points.... my only counter point was that warranty coverage can be denied for lack of prescribed maintenance.

Last edited:
Do you have to do the minor services with Tesla to maintain the ability to purchase the extended warranty? Can you use a third party and just keep documentation, or will that not be sufficient?

Not sure. The terms of the extended warranty have some very specific stipulations about performing the services, but I don't know if it has authorized service provider type verbiage.

I can't buy the extended warranty, so its a non-issue for me.