Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S maintenance is more expensive than gas cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure. The terms of the extended warranty have some very specific stipulations about performing the services, but I don't know if it has authorized service provider type verbiage.

I can't buy the extended warranty, so its a non-issue for me.
It's not an extended warranty. It's an "Extended Service Agreement", the verbiage is key.

So the comment about the warranty is actually true.

It's not an extended warranty. It's an "Extended Service Agreement", the verbiage is key.

So the comment about the warranty is actually true.

Oh, I am well aware that the original warranty is unaffected by the maintenance schedule. However the ESA is probably the main consideration when folks are looking at whether the maintenance plans are "required" or not. Someone here did get some trouble from Tesla when they tried to buy the ESA without having performed all the maintenance. They eventually got it sorted out, but it was a hassle.

To state that their "recommended" service is optional cannot be a factor for comparing with ICE competitors and stating that it is cheaper because you can choose not to do it is not a logical statement. I think the comparison should be for manufacturer recommended maintenance costs.

Compared to other luxury brands, Yes I too was surprised at how high the Tesla service package cost was. Audi was 1k for 4 years with the 1st year being free for a new car. That is significantly lower than the Tesla and I was very surprised to see that when I bought it.

Sure you can skip the alternate ones and bring the cost to a comparable amount and nothing major is going to happen, but those are work-arounds and not the advertised and recommended service plan by the manufacturer.

To state that their "recommended" service is optional cannot be a factor for comparing with ICE competitors and stating that it is cheaper because you can choose not to do it is not a logical statement. I think the comparison should be for manufacturer recommended maintenance costs.

Compared to other luxury brands, Yes I too was surprised at how high the Tesla service package cost was. Audi was 1k for 4 years with the 1st year being free for a new car. That is significantly lower than the Tesla and I was very surprised to see that when I bought it.

Sure you can skip the alternate ones and bring the cost to a comparable amount and nothing major is going to happen, but those are work-arounds and not the advertised and recommended service plan by the manufacturer.

I too have an Audi.... their maintenance plan does not cover tire rotation nor wheel alignment.... Granted it's a lot cheaper as you mentioned....

Last BMW was way cheaper - 0 cost. Last MB averaged costing better than $2500 per year. And it was a C! MB very resistant to doing some warrantee repairs like all windows falling down and ac evaporator repairs. Tesla is reasonable for it's price point.

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Over the course of about 2 years with my 2016 7 Series. BMW has spent about 12 to 13k in warranty repairs. I don't care because it's not coming out of my pocket. I make sure the car is in for its scheduled service because god knows that if something fails that should have been checked up on in the scheduled maintenance BMW will get pretty pissy about it. So glad I purchased the extended warranty...I wouldn't leave the dealership with out it. Funny thing is they've replaced my wiper blades 8 times. And have rotated my tires 13 times( Which I don't understand why.). Even though I don't ask them too. But they still haven't changed the oil. Surprised they didn't becuase I just got the car back. Was supposed to get oil changed at 63,328 Miles and now the car has 64,839 Miles. Now I have take the car back in for an Oil Change. UGHHHHH IM READY TO GET RID OF THIS THING! I love the car but just can't wait until my Tesla Arrives.:)

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Simple solution, don't buy the service plan. I have 80K miles on mine and I just do annual services other than normal (non-Tesla) tire rotations. Total service cost for 3 years/80K miles: $1,750 (3 annuals).

@tliving, it looks like you're driving about the same miles per year I will. What service are you doing each year? Is it only the battery/brake/drive fluid replacements? Have they said anything about waiting 25K miles between services?

I'm having a tough time justifying paying extra for new wipers, fob batteries, and inspections twice a year.

@tliving, it looks like you're driving about the same miles per year I will. What service are you doing each year? Is it only the battery/brake/drive fluid replacements? Have they said anything about waiting 25K miles between services?

I'm having a tough time justifying paying extra for new wipers, fob batteries, and inspections twice a year.
They just call it an "Annual service" and base it off your mileage. The cost of each service depends on the mileage milestone:
Maintenance Plans

They've had no issues at all with my mileages between services (first 2 were 30K between, last one was "only" 20K).

Everyone gets very worked up on this subject, but it's pretty clear that it's odd that a manufacturer that doesn't require servicing to maintain warranty should then recommend such an onerous (in terms of frequency) service schedule. Why they don't say "2 years or 25k miles" rather than half that is beyond me. Doing so would obviously halve the price of servicing.

I also have a theory about the warranty not requiring servicing. in the EU there's a block exemption law, I think the US has something similar, where anybody can service the car to maintain warranty (assuming servicing is required). To do this, the manufacturer has to provide detailed servicing requirements, parts, maybe even access to record the service on electronic service books, and Tesla can't or won't do this. Given the warranty risk on the car is low, they just say it's not required, but pretty much every finance agreement you have does say you do. That in itself seems an odd contradiction.

To do this, the manufacturer has to provide detailed servicing requirements, parts, maybe even access to record the service on electronic service books, and Tesla can't or won't do this.

It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the US. Tesla doesn't want to be bound by it, so they are forced to not require service as a condition of maintaining the warranty. Separately, the state of Massachusetts has a "right to repair" law, that requires Tesla to make service information available to owners that they very reluctantly (read exorbitant $$$ to owners for access) do. Several other states are considering similar legislation.

It's an incredibly egregious attitude by Tesla.

Reactions: gowthamn
I had my S for 3.5 years. never service planed it. Never had an issue aside from a whining sound in the motor. They replaced it. You have 8 years unlimited miles on the motor and battery. I had 77K miles when I turned it in for my X.
You must not be aware of the fact that your battery coolant, brake fluid, and gear box (yes, there is one) lubricant must be replaced on a regular basis according to Tesla's recommended schedule?